Discussion: An Even Better Deal? Dems Unveil New Midterm Slogan After First One Tanked

1 Like

I think they need to hold another focus group on this one.

7 Likes

6 Likes

I think itā€™s a good slogan. But to be effective, slogans need to reflect the people and ideas they represent. Can we Democrats convince those who arenā€™t committed to the cause that we really are for the people? Thatā€™s the challenge.

9 Likes

its better, but how about: STOP THE INSANITY!

27 Likes

Iā€™m really not convinced this sloganeering matters one whit.

21 Likes

National campaign slogans during a midterm really donā€™t matter. I can pretty much remember most of the presidential campaign slogans over the last 20 years or so, but I couldnā€™t tell you what any of the midterm national party slogans were. In any event, the Democrats canā€™t possibly come up with anything as laughably bad as ā€œBetter Off Now.ā€

16 Likes

I would suggest:

ā€˜Better off now?ā€™

10 Likes

Thatā€™s a change for the better. ā€œA Better Dealā€ is either better than FDRā€™s ā€œNew Dealā€ which is a weird thing to be talking about right now, or a reference to Trumpā€™s pitch he can get the ā€œbest dealā€ for America. Claiming your party can beat Trump at his own game is silly, the pitch should be that Trump canā€™t provide what Americans really want ā€“ some of those things like justice and progress that Democrats actually are better at providing.

6 Likes

In fact, we might be better off without national campaign slogans that are guaranteed to be ignored or, worse, mocked. :expressionless:

7 Likes

I canā€™t believe that, with all the Hollywood types, and trial lawyer types, and communication medium types that are in the Democratic Party, they canā€™t come up with anything better than that vaguely Communistic (1) phrase. Dem messaging has been awful and is not getting any better.

*1( And remember, ā€œcommunismā€ and Russia are now RepublicanĀ© brands.

4 Likes

Holy shit they suck. Iā€™m now too furious to play on TPM for a little while.

4 Likes

My apologies for the gigantic font. I havenā€™t figured out how to control it yetā€¦

3 Likes

How about ā€˜Hope and changeā€™?

How about ā€œAmerica Risingā€ (my personal fave), or ā€œSmell The Coffeeā€ or ā€œFuck Traitors!ā€ Seriously, ā€œA Better deal?ā€ Fold.

4 Likes

ā€œA better dealā€ sucked for any number of reasons, mostly having to do with it literally reacting to Trump, to his ā€œagendaā€ such as it was, to his insistence on always being the one making the greatest deals ever.

This isnā€™t about Trump, itā€™s about the people. The best interests of America and the people who live here.

Of course it evokes the powerful concluding lines of Lincolnā€™s Gettysburg Address, so three words are actually saying a lot more about defending Democracy and the very purpose of our system of government. (The literary term here is synecdoche.)

ā€œā€¦and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.ā€

I like it, a lot.

12 Likes

Lower taxes. Smaller government. A strong defense.

All of these are things that MEAN something. The longest one is three words.

Do GOTPers tend do to the exact opposite? Absolutely. But this is about marketing, not governing.

Medicare for all. No working poor. Accountable government.

All those actually MEAN something.

5 Likes

Agree totally. The key is to hammer it over and over the way Trump does ā€œdealā€. Itā€™s a natural fit so it shouldnā€™t be a big deal or even sound awkward.

2 Likes

ā€œRead My Lips: A Taco Truck on Every Corner, We Promiseā€

7 Likes

True story. My mom once was working in the public relations office of a local hospital. The CEO, a proto-tea party Republican dumbass, objected strenuously to a word that had long been in the hospitalā€™s mission statement.

The word was ā€œwelfareā€.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available