Discussion: An Even Better Deal? Dems Unveil New Midterm Slogan After First One Tanked

I think we could win with

Voted for Trump? Then YOU’RE the chump!

Geez, a better deal goes without saying. If you can’t offer a better deal than Trump and gang, give it up, but “a better deal” is a weak slogan.

1 Like

I know, right?

1 Like

The rage at how badly Democrats suck at messaging? Yeah, me too.

@meri

I think you both have a piece of it. I think the real problem is one of political orientation. Republicans, being basically private sector oriented and acculturated, get marketing in a way Democrats just don’t and have contacts with the best, most evil, marketing people. People who know how to sell packaging and labels and branding without much regard to the quality of the product.

Democrats, being basically public sector oriented and acculturated get policy in a way Republicans don’t and etc. etc. etc.

The problem is that each side thinks marketing and policy are the same thing. Republicans think slogans are policy and Democrats think good policy is good marketing, that good policy just sells itself because everyone will just see how awesome it is. And worse, though Republicans think marketing is the same thing as policy and Democrats think good policy is good marketing, Republicans basically abhor policy as icky, awful, evil government stuff while Democrats basically abhor marketing as grubby, greedy, icky grifty business stuff.

And thus we have the endless cycle of Republicans winning on marketing, fucking things up by treating marketing as policy, Democrats winning and fixing the fuckups with good policy and then losing because they think good policy sells itself, rinse repeat. The only way it ever gets broken is for Democrats to suck up their public sector inhibitions and actually consort with the kind of evil marketing people who make people think there’s a meaningful difference between Polygrip and Fixodent and air fryers work.

6 Likes

I can’t argue with that conclusion.

How about “Had enough yet?”

2 Likes

Take your complaint up with Honest Abe.

Why do we have so much trouble coming up with a SIMPLE, CLEAR, and CONSISTENT message? Our leaders (yes Nancy Pelosi, this means you) constantly struggle with this. Granted, the issues are complex and nuanced, but we get bogged down in details and it hurts us with voters who aren’t into complexity and nuance.

Schumer and Pelosi are total idiots!

“A Better Deal”…they sound like they are running a ficking K-Mart.

How about this one: “Rebuilding America’s middle class!” But of course that would mean Chuckie money Schumer and rich bitch Pelosi would have to increase their own taxes and cut their own free lunch from the Trump tax cuts and the two rounds of Bush tax cuts that Obama made permanent!

The Dart of the Eel

Let’s revive that old Barney Frank bumper sticker- "
Vote Democratic. We’re not perfect, but they’re nuts!"

3 Likes

“For the People”

OK, not bad. Has a bit of a leftist ring. How about

“For the American People”

Co-opts R’s delight in claiming the American people, but it’s too long. How about just

“For America”

(Not for Russia)

This is fun.

1 Like

“Tired of All the Winning?”

1 Like

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Take : 2

VOTE FOR ANY DEMOCRAT
please.please.please.please

I like it!

you shouldn’t let your cats drink so much

2 Likes

Aaahh Wyoming - still trading on that. More accurate would be “Boom Town Rats Pay off Their Student Loans Sooner”

I believe the official TPM comment board slogan is; MOCK HIM UP

2 Likes

I actually liked “A Better Deal,” but it didn’t play. And what counts in the slogan business is what most people think, not what you and I like.

As for Rogers’ quote, I use it often. Out here, even. I once ran into Barney Frank on the floor of the Massachusetts state Democratic Convention. I said to him, “Barney, Will Rogers was right.” He just nodded.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available