Discussion: At Republican Conference, Trump Slams Clinton For Recent Statement On Women

"… he claimed Republicans are the only true “patriots.”

pa¡tri¡ot
ˈpātrēət/Submit
noun
a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.
synonyms:	nationalist, loyalist; 

I’m willing to concede many of our detractors have valid objections to much of what we do. In acknowledging the legitimacy of their complaints I cannot simultaneously denigrate their detractions as invalid, and thus defend the country against them.

If this means I’m not a patriot so be it.

3 Likes

“Watch a clip of the speech below:”

Thanks, but…no

16 Likes

Maxine Waters continues to be a burr under his saddle (and no extra credit for guessing who’s in that saddle with his shirt off). Demonstrating once again, that once he feels disrespected, he can’t/won’t let it go.

I wonder how many times he was told off by strong black women when he was getting his early introduction to being a shitbird landlord?

26 Likes

Clinton claimed last week that white women in the U.S. “caved” to their husband’s wishes when voting for Trump in the 2016 election.

Nice going.

Trump also attacked Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) for having, what he said is a “low IQ” because of her calls for his impeachment and he claimed Republicans are the only true “patriots.”

Nice going.

2 Likes

From “basket of deplorables” to “caved to husbands,” I think Hillary speaks hard truths. Politically unsound though they might be. At some point in the future, both of these statements will be acknowledged as correct in my opinion.

31 Likes

The white repub women I know are mean and nasty. They aren’t rich either. As a white woman, I find them a total embarrassment.

10 Likes

Agreed totally. And the thing is: some Dems may think she’s making gaffes but she’s speaking truth to power. And if we don’t deal with these problems upfront NOW, we’ll keep running into the same buzzsaws in 2020 and beyond.

19 Likes

Kinda like how everyone ran for the exits when Obama made his prescient, accurate statement about embittered people clinging to guns and religion.

29 Likes

If Clinton said something some other people didn’t like, then surely the election wasn’t stolen. Pretty sure that’s the subtext here.

10 Likes

It may not be so explicit as getting “permission” from their husbands but some percentage of women get their political views from their husbands–like politics are a “man’s job” like mowing the lawn and manning the grill.

A married couple who started coming to my weekly Scrabble group displayed this dynamic. The man was always trying to insert politics into the conversation while our table of liberals declined to engage. One day, he wore an ancient Orrin Hatch t-shirt hoping to provoke a response, I guess.

Anyway, one day the wife came by herself and when the conversation obliquely touched on the election, she said “just so you know, I’m voting for her.” But she would never have said something in front of her husband.

15 Likes

Don’t forget totally unwilling to look beyond their own narrow concerns.

3 Likes

I’ve experienced similar behavior.

Of course, when my grandmother remarried after my mother’s dad died, she once made the comment that, when she and new hubby went to the polls, “they cancelled each other out.”

8 Likes

Dictator wannabee claims what???

2 Likes

The problem is not only political. She uses words like “caved” when, in fact, research suggests that things are more complicated than that.

Of course, she’s not the only one who makes this mistake. For example, here’s the headline on a Guardian article that received a lot of attention six moths ago:

Why Hillary Clinton was right about white women – and their husbands

And here’s an excerpt from the article:

But social science backs up Clinton’s anecdotal hunch. “We think she was right in her analysis about women getting pressure from men in their lives, specifically [straight] white women,” said Kelsy Kretschmer, an assistant professor at Oregon State University and a co-author of a recent study examining women’s voting patterns.

The thing is, if you actually read the underlying study, nowhere does it conclude that “white women caved.” What you do find is more complicated. For example, you find the argument that it makes sense for some women to vote in a way that maximizes their husbands’ incomes. This decision, which is apparently made more often by “white” women than other women, is arguably rational and quite far from helpless "caving."

2 Likes

For sure. Many of the ones I know are living off their husband’s pensions. I will never understand them at all.

1 Like

The white republican women I know are not necessarily mean and nasty, but they are stupid.

6 Likes

Okay, so I get why Clinton is still picking at why Trump won, but every time she opens her mouth about it, she manages to blame some subset of voters by saying something disparaging about them.

This is not helpful, regardless of whether what she says contains some kernel of truth.

As for the 'truth" of her comments, there may be women who publicly ‘go along" with their husbands’ political opinions, but the voting booth is private, and there’s nothing that says people always tell the truth about their votes. If I was married to some overbearing a-hole who thought he could bully me into voting as he demanded, the ultimate FU in that scenario is voting for who I want, and having him be none the wiser.

Hillary Clinton has a lot to offer, but post-mortems on why she lost and who is to blame need to go in her personal lock box.

7 Likes

Lord forbid, someone who has said they are no longer going to seek public office makes a true statement, some women do exactly what their husbands tell them to do, if you do not believe this you live a very sheltered life. Not all, but in certain communities it is what is expected and bucking that trend that they have been indoctrinated into since birth is hard to do. And it is common for fundamental religions. And in this country the largest fundamentalist groups are evangelical Christians. Who, by 80%, went for Trump. And yes, at least 1/2 of Trump supporters in the primaries were deplorable people.
I too am never running for higher office.

7 Likes

One white woman I know in particular voted for Bush in '08 largely because she was dating a guy who was extremely Conservative. None of her views matched his or W’s, but she supported him. Then in '08 she supported Obama when a new boyfriend at the time was extremely pro-Obama. She didn’t vote in '12, and she wasn’t seeing anyone. In '16, she was head over heels in love with this guy who was a Trumper. Guess who she voted for? Now she’s back with the Obama guy, and guess what she regrets?

This is purely anecdotal obviously, but she’s far from the first white woman I’ve met who basically votes whichever way her man does. I will never forget an older couple I met several years ago who were going bankrupt. They’d built a really nice life for themselves for their retirement. Unfortunately, he’d gotten deeply sucked into Glenn Beck and the Conservative Entertainment Complex and believed Obama was going to destroy everything, crash the market, and declare martial law thus leading to total anarchy. When they were building their retirement home he’d sunk tens of thousands into reinforced steel walls, bulletproof windows, and reinforcing their house for The Purge. Their credit was destroyed, they couldn’t finish their house, and he’d depleted their savings. The wife just sat there nodding in weary agreement, but asking him to please stop talking about politics. She looked so terribly defeated, and it was obvious she’d gone along with it all out of some sense of duty. I still wonder what happened to them, but I guarantee she voted for PP right along with him.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available