Discussion: At Republican Conference, Trump Slams Clinton For Recent Statement On Women

That sounds Mauve-olous!

1 Like

Pink is my favorite color

2 Likes

The truth to power bit was acknowledging out loud what everybody knows but does not talk about – A majority of white women voted for Trump. We hear a lot about how to placate white working class voters who are men. What to do about white women?

And she also broke the media tradition of maintaining that 'lost" votes are always the fault of the losing politician and never the fault of poor decision making on the part of voters gulled by the fabrications from the other side and shoddy journalism.

So the ‘truth to power’ bit was violating the traditions of media mythology.

As to the women. Married and unmarried women vote differently. This needs to be explained. Hillary was part of the first wave of feminists. The first generation when it became acceptable for a woman to have views and a career that was more than supporting her husband. This was something that was a tension in her own life. So I’m guessing that Hillary has more insight into the thinking of women still living in pre- feminist communities than most of us.

1 Like

The public interest? The public gets to watch one person telling the truth and her critic with the megaphone blowing smoke. Quite a number of voters have voter’s remorse.

1 Like

BAU is a traditional recommendation for dealing with a bully.

Thus may not be the time and place to hold this discussion but we had a very good candidate who did not win. We need to find out why.

I said two things:

1). Hillary is an unvarnished truth teller.

It is hard to construe this as a criticism of her virtue.

1. Unvarnished truth telling makes a politician less likely to win in certain settings.

This latter is either a fact of life in the world or it is not the case. In any event the claim is far more a criticism of voters than it is of her.

I like and admire Hillary and appreciate her truth telling. It’s part of why I have supported her since her first run for the Presidency. Butnitndoebut facing reality I have to recognize that as a tactic truth telling does not always work.

On these boards there is virtually everybody agrees that Trump is an evil mess. The choir does not need preaching to on this point,

So I am somewhat at a loss as to why you feel so strongly that I am being unduly critical.?

Wow…that was a pretty good slap, Plucky. I was talking about one specific quote. They are indeed deplorable–and worse. Did it cost her votes by saying it though? Did it turn off low information, hate politics, vote-from-your-gut swing voters–you know, morons? I think it did. Did it motivate anyone to vote that wasn’t already voting for her? I’m less certain of that. With the bullshit mountain of ratfucking by Republicans, it excessively unlikely that it cost her the election–or even a single state. I do agree with what you said, but we’re fighting an uphill battle and unforced errors are still unforced errors though. If it doesn’t help gain votes, why do it? I really don’t care it feels good to have someone say it, again, does it help our side or hurt it? Saying what might be true is secondary to retaking Congress and the Presidency. That absolutely sucks to say that, but that’s were we are. It’s not both siderism to point out that our gaffs hurt us and Republicans gaffs rarely hurt them. That’s reality, and not playing into anyone’s meme.

I thought WV Republicans were scared that Blankenship is the ONE GOP candidate Manchin could beat.

Thank you. I knew it was somebody in the Trump Cabinet.

1 Like

Badda-boom! Badda-bing!

And wasn’t that rich? He folded like a cheap lawn chair.

2 Likes

Hear, hear!!!

1 Like

He sure did!

And, did you notice how much larger her hands are than his?

1 Like

Watching Trump have his mouth shut when the minister called him out was epic.
When the Access Hollywood tape was run in a loop at the capitol this should run right after it.

1 Like

If Fran Lebowitz didn’t smoke so much and didn’t live in NY, I could be friends with her because she seems to understand the disease that is trumpp

“Everyone says he is crazy – which maybe he is – but the scarier thing about him is that he is stupid. You do not know anyone as stupid as Donald Trump. You just don’t.

“He allowed people to express their racism and bigotry in a way that they haven’t been able to in quite a while and they really love him for that. It’s a shocking thing to realise people love their hatred more than they care about their own actual lives. The hatred – what is that about? It’s a fear of your own weakness.”

2 Likes

He’s taking a trump-like approach in his candidacy turning off a lot of conventional Rs, but miners seems to think he will be able to bring back coal mining and he’s rich enough to finance his own campaign. But the irony is thick with this one: A guy who caused dozens of miners to die in one accident has their support so far.

1 Like

I watched Laurence O’ Last night and he had that quote—you probably saw it.

1 Like

Fran Lebowitz is expressing what us New Yorkers have known for years.
She’s the inner soul of this city.

Speaking of other people named Leibowitz and Trump

1 Like

She’s been shredding him for years, For me I don’t want to be there if he ever lashes out at this particular Jewish lesbian

Trump is a poor person’s idea of a rich person. They see him. They think, ‘If I were rich, I’d have a fabulous tie like that. Why are my ties not made of 400 acres of polyester?’ All that stuff he shows you in his house- the gold faucets- if you won the lottery, that’s what you’d buy.”

@mrf

2 Likes

I record Rachel and Lawrence every night in case something else is going on at 6 and 7 p.m. PT. I know there’ll be coverage of the march on Saturday, but I can’t find it on MSNBC’s website.

1 Like

I do, too. I’m also subscribed to their podcasts.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available