Discussion: Bannon Says Racial Politics Help Trump In Wake Of Charlottesville Rally

Democrats have been doing that since the 60s. It’s only been in the last couple of years that has suddenly been questioned… By the far left.

6 Likes

There aren’t enough of those supposed Obama/Trump voters to court. They’re not worth it. Let them go.

A fact that everyone who have five brain cells has learned since Nov. 2016:

if you voted for Rump, you may not be a self-avowed racist, but you have no problem with it and have no intention of speaking out against it. Those people deserve our scorn.

8 Likes

And by aging ex-pot smokers with a record of minor league grifting, deadbeat dad-ism and concealed racial animus.

… I am still shaking my head at the very fine French mathematician who told me one week ago that BS is an intellectual.

3 Likes

“He then won a landslide victory …"

No. This is revisionist agitprop.

He lost the popular vote by a significant margin. From an Electoral College POV the margin was something like 70,000 votes. In boxing terms he had a close TKO decision with some graft and corruption thrown in, not a knockout. Trump was a wounded schmuck from Day 1.

6 Likes

But would they vote for a Latino?

5 Likes

“The race-identity politics of the left wants to say it’s all racist,” Bannon added. “Just give me more.

Talk about projection! Identity politics is what the modern GOP has been practicing practically my entire life. It started with Nixon going for white resentment to get the vote, and its never let up since. Bannon is just the latest iteration.

ETA: The newest addition to the GOP toolbox of identity politics today has been the inclusion of anti-women bullshit. They’ve enlisted a entire horde of men’s empowerment groups to join them too. I call them the tiny dick club because they really are that insecure about their own manhood. Plus they gotta a whole lot of mommy issues…so don’t get me started…

7 Likes

Perhaps there were fewer Obama/Trump voters than thought. I’m always happy to be informed of new or better analysis. Maybe it makes more sense to talk about the D voters who stayed home, in which case – assuming they stayed home because Clinton was not progressive or inspiring enough – you are right.
And yes, being right about racism, homophobia and sexism and the environment and the economy and health care and so much else, is great. I just think we need to be right in a way that does not unnecessarily alienate people who are less perfect than we are.
And that was my point: that in my opinion Bannon has a point about provoking counterproductive reactions from our side (by which I mean the Democratic party, just be clear). If our majority is so large and so demographically baked-in that it is inevitable and we can tell everything else to screw off, that’s great. I’d still rather not write everyone else off just yet.

11:52 AM EDT:
CNBC chyron: MARKETS TURN HIGHER ON RUMOR OF BANNON FIRING

Whether the rumor’s true or not, he’s gone.
@chelsea530 @srfromgr

1 Like

Fair enough: “paroxysms of righteousness that end up alienating people who might otherwise vote democratic.”

If “racial politics” are helpful, then why are so many independents and moderate GOP now avoiding Trump Tower, Mar-A-Lago, and the White House like they’re infested with rabid skunks?

1 Like

The only difference between Lee Atwater and this slob Bannon is that Atwater used a dog-whistle and Bannon has decided “fuck that, I’m gonna use a bullhorn”.

6 Likes

In that vein, this Glenn Beck tweet was jaw-dropping:

Glenn Beck‏Verified account @glennbeck

“If you want to tear down racist monuments, you need to start with the living monument dedicated to white supremacy: Planned Parenthood.”

3 Likes

Well, I am ready for the Bahama Party.

There will be pillow fights if a tropical theme I think.

1 Like

Or it could be part of a continuing strategy to unite the far right and far left. Remember in 2013 or so when some people thought that Rand Paul would be a formidable force in 2016 because of his views on pot and surveillance? Or how Glenn Greenwald criticized President Obama from the left on issues such as drones and surveillance?

Bannon seems to be reaching for the anti-war and populist left with his economic nationalism and his stance re military solution to North Korea.

Again, I don’t have a definitive take on this, but it might just be ratf#ucking.

5 Likes

No one on the teevee seems to think so, but I hope it’s true. If Bannon still has some control, it won’t be enough though.

2 Likes

And in that same vein…HHS is taking away mandatory contraception as part of insurance plans accepted under the ACA. Once again they’re saying there should be a religious exception…like baking a fucking cake. I thought we already had this damn debate. The theocracy under Pence won’t get any better in this department either for those looking forward to the coming Dominionism.

6 Likes

I’m going to check myself here, because I don’t wanna get ‘spanked’ by someone who is tired of ‘hearing’ a very offensive term, but having got that out of the way; those people knowingly voted for a man who proudly bragged that grabbing a woman’s private parts was one of stardom’s perks.

No disrespect meant, but please try again.

7 Likes

Who said he wasn’t?

Thanks for explaining that because it really does put this interview in perspective. He’s speaking to people who think the entirety of the Democratic Party’s problem is speaking to issues concerning minorities and women. In essence, he’s preaching to the choir.

5 Likes

A panel on MSNBC. The feeling was if Bannon were fired, he would return to Breitbart and release the hounds on Trump. Not sure at all, hwever, that would happen. Trump needs Bannon - they share supporters, and Bannon needs Trump to push ahead with his agenda.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available