Discussion: Cambridge Analytica CEO Suspended Pending Investigation

1 Like

In the thread below are links to three videos (each 20 minutes) from UKs Channel4, they are entertaining

The latest installment is fascinating…

Mark Turnbull CA Managing Director, claims Donald won with a margin of 40.000 votes…

16 Likes

“do not represent the values or operations of the firm and his suspension reflects the seriousness with which we view the violation.”

Our values and operations are to keep what we do secret and not get caught.

20 Likes

This won’t save you, Cambridge Analytica, it won’t even slow your demise down.

11 Likes

“The board of Cambridge Analytica says it has suspended CEO Alexander Nix pending a full independent investigation of his actions.”

Board: “We’re shocked – shocked – to find Kremlin treachery going on in here!”

Croupier: “Your rubles, sirs.”

Board: “Oh, thank you very much.”

27 Likes

Let’s see…the Cambridge Board membership has included Steve Bannon and Brad Parscale. CA has worked closely with a UK academic who, in turn was closely linked to a Russian University that claimed to be doing academic research that just happens to be the basis of what Cambridge was doing for clients…helping them secretly win elections and causes.

Nix does not represent the values of Cambridge yet in pitching to a potential client the client is advised that the information used to help their cause “does not need to BE the truth…just to sound true,” and further, CA will put it out there anonymously, “give it a little shove,” and watch it permeate the Inner Tubz in a process of lies, half-truths, blackmail and corruption.

But of course NONE of that reflects THEIR values.

Ya know…when you are caught on tape with stuff like this, trying to claim you were “misquoted” or that it doesn’t reflect your values, seems a tad hollow.

13 Likes

I have more faith in the UK government investigating CA and Facebook vs the US government (regardless of party).

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure the represented the values of the company until they got caught. It’s hard to reconcile their causal demeanor in that vid and what they are doing being against policy. It’s a scumbag organization bent on defeating the will of the people. Do they expect us to believe they have values?

9 Likes

I don’t see how CA survives this.

As I mentioned in another thread, the liability for class action lawsuits on data misuse alone will sink them. The potential class is 50M people!

Then there is the criminal liabilities,…

One thing is for sure, the Merciers will be done with them. I expect a statement any moment throwing Nix and Bannon under the bus. Poor them.

13 Likes

In the last video, it’s suggested that the Mercers themselves may have done something illegally. Another thing mentioned in the Guardian coverage is that many of the people working for CA on the Trump campaign are Canadian or Britsh citizen, which apparently is against US Law.

16 Likes

A direct link to Channel 4’s article and video (just over 17 minutes) from today and their summary:

"In the third part of a Channel 4 News investigation into Cambridge Analytica, bosses also talked about:

• The full scale of their pivotal work in Trump’s election win
  • How they avoid Congressional investigations into their foreign clients
  • Setting up proxy organisations to feed untraceable messages onto social media
  • Using a secret email system where messages self-destruct and leave no trace
  • Cambridge Analytica’s involvement in the “Defeat Crooked Hilary” brand of attack ads"
13 Likes

Criminal indictments for the Mercers would be delightful

20 Likes

This is like if the Gambino family had suspended John Gotti pending a planned internal investigation.

23 Likes

Were I Nix, I would be very concerned for my personal safety.

11 Likes

In one exchange Alexander Nix revealed the company used a secret self-destructing email system that leaves no trace. He said: “No-one knows we have it, and secondly we set our… emails with a self-destruct timer… So you send them and after they’ve been read, two hours later, they disappear. There’s no evidence, there’s no paper trail, there’s nothing.”

Mr Nix also belittled representatives on the House Intelligence Committee to whom he gave evidence in 2017. He claims Republican members asked just three questions. “After five minutes – done.”

“They’re politicians, they’re not technical. They don’t understand how it works,” he said.

Mr Nix further claimed that Democrats on the Committee are motivated by “sour grapes”.

He said: “They don’t understand because the candidate never, is never involved. He’s told what to do by the campaign team.”

“So the candidate is the puppet?,” the undercover reporter asked.

“Always,” replied Mr Nix.

He added that his firm could avoid any US investigation into its foreign clients. “I’m absolutely convinced that they have no jurisdiction…,” he said. “We’ll say none of your business.”

As an ex Brit, I say: Fucking limey asshole.

12 Likes

Say it with me, Mr. Nix, you stupid mother-f*cker: “Fake News!”

5 Likes

Commissioner Elizabeth Denham is pursuing a warrant to search Cambridge Analytica’s servers.

Fun Fact: CA’s offices were raided this morning. British reporters have noted police activity at the CA offices today.

16 Likes

khyber’s comments from another thread (always brilliant)

20 Likes

Still one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies.

1 Like

Yepper. That’s absolutely how that works with sovereign nations, you tell 'em: “none of your business” and the Prosecutors just say “Darn it!”, stomp their feet in frustration, and walk away. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Or, they handcuff you and say: “whatever.”

I recall that there are laws against bribing foreign officials, and that may very well include blackmailing them, too.

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available