Discussion: Cochran, McCain Health Issues Show Risks For GOP Leaders Of Aging Senate

1 Like

Frankly, these fucking fossils can’t fade away fast enough to suit me.

2 Likes

At least with Republicans, the older and whiter Senators aptly reflect the party’s base.

The base for the Democrats is certainly younger and Browner then is reflected in our Senate representation

2 Likes

@jonney_5

The base for the Democrats is certainly younger and Browner then is reflected in our Senate representation

True that. But those damned kids gotta get off my lawn and go to the polls if they want things to change!

5 Likes

The older and whiter senators aren’t bugfsck crazy enough to represent the current GOP.

2 Likes

They’re among 16 senators facing re-election who come Election Day 2018 will be at least 65 — an age when many people have already retired.

Retire at 65, how quaint. Somebody must not be paying attention. Older Americans have to work. Social Security doesn’t kick in until 67-68. You get more if you retire later. Many of us saw our savings wiped out ten years ago, and the economy hasn’t recovered enough since to allow retirement. Demands from higher college tuition have made the mad dash to save as much as possible after the last kid leaves home has been all but impossible. I am almost 70 and don’t see retirement any time soon. Go to Walmart and ask a greeter about retiring at 65.

3 Likes

Come on, you can’t do an article like this without mentioning the oldest Republican Senator: Chuck Grassley, age 84. He is a senile old fool.

2 Likes

Ah, but the GOP Senator is a hardy breed.
Or else they would have died of shame or boredom long ago.
Wouldn’t have starved, however.

1 Like

Retirement is for sissies.

1 Like

He’s been senile for a long time.

Democrats are not immune. Feinstein is, what, 84, and she’s running next year.

Maybe if we had younger candidates we’d get more young people out to vote. Just a thought.

1 Like

Nothing new. Strom Thurmond was mummified and propped up for several years before they finally took the display down.

1 Like

Yeah but women have longer lifespans than men so Feinstein is probably good until she’s well into her 90s, unlike Grassley who is younger than her by mere months, he’s already senile.

Well, my mother lived to be 99, but she was not with it from her mid- to late-80s on. I think Feinstein is great, but she’s pushing her luck–and that of her state’s people–by running again.

Be careful what you wish for. Their younger replacements will be uniformly crazier politically.

Chiselin’ Trump: “I like people who weren’t cancered.”

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available