Discussion: Collins 'Very Disappointed' In Trump's Decision To End O'Care Subsidies

1 Like

I hope we can look back on this time in our history and learn from this but I am not hopeful.

11 Likes

Collins is really on fire, huh?

@chammy

I am.

7 Likes

I just hope we can look back on this time at all.

14 Likes

Senator: this is no longer the Republican party you joined. Why not consider switching?

14 Likes

She is still, after all, pretty conservative, despite her admirable desire here not to see people losing healthcare.

3 Likes

Being “very disappointed” is not enough. We need her to be “extremely CONCERNED”!

20 Likes

If Trump and GOP Congresscritters want to play hot potato with ACA sabotage that’s fine with me – just keeps the story in the news.

3 Likes

Trump: All she had to do was vote to kill OCare and she couldnt even do that. I have to do that for her. LOSER!!

3 Likes

Good Lord…Miss Milquetoast is at it again. Is that the best you got?

14 Likes

Getting the subsidies funded by Congress would require two unlikely events to occur. The first would be for the Senate to agree on a bipartisan deal to authorize and require the funding of the subsidies. The second would be for Ryan to suspend the “Hastert Rule” to allow an open vote on whatever deal is agreed upon in the Senate.

I think it’s possible that McConnell might be willing to allow a vote on a bipartisan deal, but only if he is assured that all or almost all Dems would vote for the deal, thus limiting the number of GOP Senators who would have to risk angering their donor base by doing something that actually helps their voter base. However, I don’t think Ryan would have the courage to suspend the “Hastert Rule” and allow an open vote in the House, despite the fact that there really is nobody else likely to be able to garner sufficient votes in the GOP caucus to replace Ryan as Speaker.

7 Likes

It would probably take an override vote, as Trump is certain to veto any bill meant to save one of Obama’s accomplishments. He also thinks that ACA collapse will only hurt Democrats, and the creeps around him (Mulvaney, Miller) won’t disabuse him of that assumption.

13 Likes

I am too.

I’m very disappointed in the Republican Party’s inability to help the American people.

13 Likes

I’m very disappointed in the Republican Party’s inability unwillingness to help people.

FIFY

12 Likes

Congress did step in when they passed the ACA, and then when they passed a budget that didn’t fund the subsidies.

2 Likes

There’s a third scenario that can make it happen: the Democrats are able to fire up the base using this issue and win back the majority, and then pass a bill authorizing funding.

9 Likes

If Collins remains committed on at least this issue, then it’s a good thing that she does not leave the Senate to run for governor.

Because if she ran and won, Gov. LePage would fill her vacant seat with a right wing nut in his lame-duck period and Trump would be assured of another “yes” vote.

12 Likes

I am hopeful …

I choose … not them —
I will not allow anything to take that away from me —

12 Likes

“Very disappointed?” How about “outraged?”

4 Likes

But I am not surprised.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available