Discussion: Democrats Fret That Obama Will Choose Nonpartisan GOTV Over Campaign Trail

Words fail.

2 Likes

However much of an asset she would be (and she would be TREMENDOUS), I can understand wanting to walk a careful apolitical line. Itā€™s not an easy job, being (ex)FLOTUS.

4 Likes

Having Michelle concentrate on a GOTV campaign would hardly be non partisan.

17 Likes

And I believe it is her choice to make.

8 Likes

If she want to walk an apolitical line, and do it in public, then sheā€™s become captured by the ā€˜lets all sing kumbayaā€™ to bring the county together bullshit. Itā€™s an AP story though, so Iā€™ll give that all the weight it deservesā€“just about none.

1 Like

If the last 18 months hasnā€™t provided enough motivation to get out and vote, then there is a deeper problem that wonā€™t be solved by an appearance by Michele Obama

8 Likes

Her endeavor is worrying some candidates and operatives that sheā€™ll run the nonpartisan organization in lieu of actively campaigning for candidates in a crucially important midterm election.

Iā€™m curious to know who the ā€œsome candidates and operativesā€ are, or is this like ā€œsome peopleā€, ā€œeveryone knowsā€ or ā€œit could be anybodyā€ that seems to be bandied about a lot to hide what one person says.

10 Likes

But who do you think sheā€™ll influence? You think sheā€™s going to shepherd more right wingers to the polls, or do you think sheā€™s going to help get voters for our team out there?

Getting out the vote efforts are an invaluable service. If sheā€™s going to invest herself there, Iā€™m grateful.

16 Likes

This is not surprising news. Aside from the ACA and Obamaā€™s support for same sex marriage (which he was initially opposed to but was convinced to change his mind by his daughters) Obama has always been a closeted republican. During his eight years as president he routinely sided with big business and the WTO whenever he had the opportunity, starting with his pivotal vote in 2007 in the senate to let the giant telecom companies off the hook for illegally sharing our personal information with law enforcement. He also didnā€™t earn the name deportee-in-chief for nothing. Then thereā€™s his expansion of using drones and the fact that he so vigorously prosecuted government whistle blowers, etc,etc. IMHO they are and have always been the best dressed and classiest Republicans.

4 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree moreā€¦ Obama was a republican wet dream come true

2 Likes

Oh for fucks sake. It smells like troll in here. Joined 10 months ago, with 7 whole comments. Yep. troll.

15 Likes

GOTV helps the Democrats, so I am 110% for that. But I donā€™t know how you excite people to actually GOTV if you donā€™t, you know, excite them. I really donā€™t know how powerful residual goodwill is as a motivating force.

5 Likes

This article is about his wife and not about former President Obama. Itā€™s also speculation about what she will or wonā€™t do. But she, much like another former FLOTUS, is maligned for the choices of her husband. Thatā€™s just sexist.

10 Likes

Sorry, these are not normal times. Itā€™s not too many steps to autocracy with Trump in control of all branches of govt and an accommodating SC. Prez Obama is partly responsible for the mess weā€™re in because he spent so much time trying to appease Republicans and never bothered defending vigorously defending the things he did that made ordinary peopleā€™s lives better. That vacuum was effectively filled by Republicans. He also wasted a golden oppty after the crash. Worried about bankers more than people losing their homes.

5 Likes

Whoā€™s fretting?

I donā€™t know about anyone else but I certainly trust the Obamaā€™s judgement to do what will excite people when the time comes.

6 Likes

Drink!

4 Likes

He spent time trying to work with Republicans after Democrats had a sad in 2010 and gave him no choice at all but to work with them.

9 Likes

The only time he tried to excite people was when he was running for office, After that he wanted to de-mobilize those same people and try to make compromises with an opposition party that was never going to do that. They made a fool of him in the final analysis. Trump is a monster, but maybe he will finally wake Democrats up to the fact that when you do win the WH you use the power instead of spending your time trying to appeal to the non-existent humanitarianism of the GOP.

5 Likes

Perfect.

And then thereā€™s this: her memoir ā€œBecomingā€ is due out shortly after election day, with an accompanying book tour that her staff would reportedly prefer to be untainted by politics.

In other words, make sure to maximize sales and create greater profits. Because the Obamaā€™s donā€™t have enough money already. Going the way of the Clintonā€™s and the Pig Rich.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available