Discussion: Doug Jones: 'I Think We Need To Move On' From Trump Misconduct Allegations

Their base is supposed to be working and poor AMERICANS, regardless of race, religion or gender. Are you implying the Democratic base is only minorities? THAT is the problem they had, they decided to completely ignore white working people. Stupid. The battle should not be black vs white, it should be poor/working vs elite.

Where were they for the Presidential election in 2016. So many key districts where large minority turnout was expected. Hillary had the percentage of the district, but the volume of votes was not there. Considering all of what Trump said and stood for, that is just embarrassing and pathetic that people still stayed home.

Seemā€™s Doug Jones is trying to stay out of the weeds before he even gets seated. Heā€™s a prosecutor himself and is probably pretty certain the president has bigger elephants in his office at moment. I for one would rather see the real Jumbos have at him rather than ankle biters. Iā€™m kind of anxious to see how dumpster looks in an orange jump suit and without hair products.

Let me put it this way. If Doug Jones had dismissed charges of sexual misbehavior this way prior to his election, he would not have received the financial support he did from out of state individuals. Further, speaking this way about Trump might well have lost him the election this time by depressing turnout. He needs to learn to dance with those who brung him. Far more likely that he lost votes rather than gained any with these statements.

3 Likes

And donā€™t let him be alone with your wife or your daughter or daughters if you have them.

3 Likes

But not a particularly adept weasel. No reason to say these arenā€™t real issues or to look past Trumpā€™s misconduct because many but not most voters did. Say something like the voters were aware of the allegations against Trump in the last election but he was elected anyway due to the Electoral College. So he is now President. There are a lot of issues facing the country we can work together on in Congress. Thatā€™s what we are able to do now. If more facts come to light about Trumpā€™s past behavior or the voters change their minds about Trumpā€™s behavior, the voters can take this into account next time they vote.

On the subject of statements by recent Democratic election winners that Iā€™m determined not to freak out about, but definitely not exactly thrilled about:

Apparently Northam has already received some pushback and came out with this statement:

I have and will continue to advocate for Medicaid expansion because it is a no-brainer for Virginia families, our budget, and our economy. We can also come together on smart policy choices that will allow us to deliver better care at lower cost.

ā€” Ralph Northam (@RalphNortham) December 17, 2017

However, a close reading shows the these two stances arenā€™t necessarily different, since the first one never said he wouldnā€™t ā€œadvocate forā€ Medicaid expansion, just that he wouldnā€™t try to ā€œforceā€ Republicans to accept it.

In case anyone was wondering how Northam can ā€œforceā€ Republicans to do anything, the answer is, he really canā€™t. At a maximum he could go hard-core like Jan Brewer did in Arizona, and promise to veto everything else they sent him until they passed the Medicaid expansion. The big difference there, of course, is that Jan Brewer is a Republican, so GOPers had more incentive to go along with her. Thereā€™s no guarantee a threat to veto everything else would work in this case, and good reason to believe it probably wouldnā€™t.

Weā€™ll have to see where this goes, but the bottom line is Democrats didnā€™t quite win the House of Delegates (though they came tantalizingly close). So Northam is playing an inherently weak hand, not really in a position to ā€œforceā€ the Medicaid expansion through. More like heā€™ll either have to finesse it through, or else press the issue in the next set of House of Delegates elections.

2 Likes

Your logic is so backasswards Iā€™d swear you live under a bridge. Who signs your paycheck? Putin, Assange, Bannon? What a waste of money.

As ugly as they are, they do not touch Vice President Pence (Mother forbid), he would still be there. I want to see them both out of there.

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t hold the same weight at all for people who canā€™t get health care or are facing deportation or are facing an more uncertain financial future because of those issues and tax cut legislation. Itā€™s an issue, especially, for men and women who have been harassed. That it needs to stop is certainly the issue when it comes to that. But those other things affect many more people, men, women, and children of all ages.

To be fair, if TPM posters are any indication, he could probably get away with this in a swing state. Plenty of liberal men donā€™t see this as a ā€˜hill to die onā€™ issue either.

2 Likes

And until harassing women becomes as toxic as saying the n word all those things you care more about wonā€™t happen and will always be just out of reach. Why? In order for those things to pass we need more people with empathy and compassion, something that is sorely lacking in our society (see how women are treated on a daily basis). The two are connected, as much as you might not want them to be, they are. Until we treat everyone with the respect human beings deserve will we be fighting for health care, the right to eat, the right to go to school, the right not to be taxed so the rich can get another Bentley and on and on. Remember, women make up over 50% of the population, this isnā€™t just some small insignificant amount of people being affected, as much as you seem to believe it is.

3 Likes

Thank you. As far as Iā€™m concerned what counts now is getting majorities in Congress. If it happens to involve a few people who may not say exactly what we want them to say 100% of the time, a majority is still a majority. Itā€™s the key to Congressional power.

Iā€™m old enough to remember how in the Before Time the liberal wing of the Democratic Party had to put up with the likes of Strom Thurmond. This is nothing in comparison.

What weā€™re doing now: Believing women.

2 Likes

Dear Jones your not in leadership now and with that statement you may want to put you toe in the water and see national trends before you run your mouth

1 Like

I donā€™t blame Doug Jones. He needs to get the vote certified and be sworn in. Period! I donā€™t trust McConnell, or any of the sickies wanting Roy Moore to not try to prevent him from taking the seat.

Once he gets there he can make all the news he wants, but I think heā€™s wise to keep his head down until heā€™s sworn in!

1 Like

Did I say that? Women are in the cross-hairs more than ever, unbelievable in this century. But they need to get smarter, too. No giving up. No quarter.

Strong women raise strong daughters. Iā€™ve got two of my own that kick ass and take names. We need to help those others who are afraid and make them stronger. But financial security will always be a big issue.

Letā€™s hear your ideas about that.

I agree with what you said and no, you didnā€™t use those words, but thatā€™s how your post comes across. It appears you are arguing for everyone else, then women. I disagree with that and believe we can tackle women being treated like human beings and single payer, DACA, tax the rich, not the poor and so on. We donā€™t have to put women on the back burner until we get everything else, weā€™ve been doing that for years and look where thatā€™s gotten us - no where. Change is here, canā€™t stop it now. Oh Happy Day!!!

Women are the life force. G.B. Shaw was so right.

2 Likes

The vote was taken after the allegations were made - that is true. But people voted for a man who said he would sue his accusers for defamation, that is a court would hear the claims. That did not happen.

They also voted for someone who said that he would release his tax returns.

Yes Trump won the presidency by the Electoral vote. But 3 million people voted against him who believed Trump is a sexual predator. Its amazing if a Republican lost the election by 3 million votes they would never let up. But the dems are taking the high road which gets them nothing.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available