Discussion: Doug Jones: 'I Think We Need To Move On' From Trump Misconduct Allegations

Hey Doug - Trump did not win the popular vote. He lost by at least 3 million votes and if we correct the vote count hacked by Russian counterespionage agents, he lost by over 10 million. They rigged 4 states key to the obsolete electoral college.

Jones should be saying it’s time for Trump to resign so the nation can move forward. The Trump administration is a disaster - resign and save the nation!

2 Likes

And it’s worth noting, this same attitude is why Republicans have 52 seats in the Senate instead of 57. If they hadn’t nominated batshit candidates in 2012 in particular, they’d be doing a lot better.

6 Likes

It was longer than seven n a half mins.

While the Wikileaks dumps were the equivalent of ‘death by cuts’, it was the combo of the Comey letter/Chaffetz tweet that got us here.

4 Likes

Thanks for letting us know that you want Jones to lose in 2020 when he has to defend the seat he just won.

8 Likes

Mayb 98% WOC voters r having second thoughts. Still better than a pedophile. How will it play in AL 2018?

1 Like

Yikes. That sure gives one pause right there. Or should anyway.

2 Likes

Read the fucking room, fellas. You and Northam.

Meh. I think some folks are overreacting here. I’m not thrilled with his answer here, but I don’t think it’s worth freaking out over either.

It looks to me like he was trying not to get pigeonholed as just the guy who was elected due to sexual misconduct by his opponent, and he was trying to pivot to talk about the rest of the Democratic agenda.

If Jones doesn’t want to take the lead on this issue that’s fine, but I would have preferred if he had just stuck to something like “these are important issues and I think they’re worthy of further investigation, but as a Senator, my main focus will be on…”

So I wouldn’t rate his performance here very highly. But I also think it’s more along the lines of a misfire than an indication that he’s the next Joe Lieberman.

10 Likes

well he won’t be able to out republican a republican…if he is already running for re-election before he has even been seated as a senator we would have been better off with Roy Moore and an ethics investigation

1 Like

:grimacing: Yikes! You can’t get anymore tone-deaf than that.

1 Like

Then you haven’t listened to the African American community in Alabama this past week. Tons of interviews done. None of them glowing about Doug Jones, all about not wanting Roy Moore.

Convicting those Klan members gave Jones credibility, but the African American community did not turn out like this over love of Doug Jones. It was all about Roy Moore.

6 Likes

The good people of Alabama elected a Blue Dog Democrat, which is the only kind of Democrat that can ever be elected to the Senate from the state. He will vote right at least some of the time, and his vote may be crucial to the passage of Important bills. I think Jones is wrong here, but still better him than Moore, right?

7 Likes

Of course no one should expect a pure liberal out of Alabama. And OF COURSE he’s better than Moore. But this is literally spitting in the face of the people who actually elected him. Giving cover to Trump is the last thing Jones should be doing. He was elected by the people that want Trump gone (Trump was 48-48 approval in the exit polls because people who hate him showed up and people who like him didn’t turn out like R’s hoped they would). You want to sap enthusiasm for bringing out the minority vote in the South. Keep covering for Trump instead of standing up for the people who came out in record numbers for you as a fuck you to Trump and the white nationalist factions of Moore supporters and the like.

5 Likes

Imagine if it happened to be Obama who was accused of these types of allegations anytime during his 8 years. Just 1 allegation of anything sexual would immediately had the gop congress approve that he be dragged out of the white house and be hung from the nearest tree, then shot a dozen times and left to rot. Just to get their message across. that the gop is the worse hypocrites known to man or woman.

2 Likes

What a remarkably stupid thing for you to say.

Every member of Congress is always running for re-election. It’s the nature of the beast.

And if you seriously believe that there would have been an ethics investigation of Moore, you have revealed yourself to be both credulous and easily gulled.

6 Likes

not going to happen…he will not be re-elected trying to vote like a republican. he will be defeated in 2020 BY a republican…see Mary Landrieu, Mark Pryor et al.

2 Likes

That’s quite the little straw man you’ve built there, Snookums.

4 Likes

I know Jones is only saying what he knows the dumb fucks in AL want to hear but I swear if ever I see him I’ll make sure to grab him by the balls and shove my finger up his ass. Maybe then he’ll realize just how much of an issue this is.

1 Like

No, it isn’t.
And that’s not what he’s doing.

4 Likes

Jones makes a fair point, as long as it is considered carefully. Trump is an idiot and a doofus who doesn’t deserve to be president, BUT this particular issue is a minor one compared with real quality-of-life issues for millions of Americans. I think Jones means that while these accusations are bothersome, they should not distract us from doing things that really affect the well being of Americans. No one is arguing about whether his behavior is appalling. It is. But Trump would be delighted if we’d all focus on that, rather than tax law, or health care, or immigration. Leave that other stuff to me, he’d say. No Mr. Trump, we’re not going to leave that stuff to you.

Look, while the president is a certified a**-hole, we need to look beyond that to understand what bad stuff he’s doing to me and you. Being an a**-hole isn’t particularly hurting me. Well, it’s hurting my respect for the presidency, but it has nothing to do with my money, health, or my immigrant friends.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available