Discussion: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Admits Errors In Light Of Data Breach Scandal

“The PR is weak in this one.”

1 Like

Big trouble ahead:

7 Likes

Monetize friendships, fuck democratic institutions, calcify inequality. What a business model!

3 Likes

At last, hometown newspaper SF Chronicle (which is mine) is finally going after Zuck. They’ve gone easy so far because, IMHO, he’s a hometown philanthropist, and no one wants to upset that particular apple cart. But you can access SFGate.com and read more stories than just this one slamming him.

3 Likes

Please, TPM and other media, stop calling it a data breach just because Facebook calls it that. The data were obtained in the way Facebook was designed to provide it: by asking permission of the users. Facebook wants to call it a data breach because then it sounds like hackers got into the data and stole it.

8 Likes

Zuckerberg is old enough to make a ton of money, but too young to understand what is valuable in life. Little rat.

5 Likes

Nooz, dammit.

1 Like

I avoided and still avoid any link that asks me for access to my data on Facebook. That so many didn’t astounds me.

2 Likes

Clean up on Aisle 4, so I can run for president in 2020 and clean up at the cashier station.

1 Like

Mike Luckovich does the best tRump. Those tiny, little orange hands. Hey hey

1 Like

I deleted my account today.

https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674?helpref=search&sr=2&query=delete%20account

3 Likes

Ethics used to be part of a liberal education. Looks like Zuck missed that.

1 Like

Tiger made a mistake dropping out of Stanford. Mark made a mistake dropping out of Harvard. They should have listened to their parents!

2 Likes

this still astounds me that people don’t have a problem with listening and monitoring devices in their own home

4 Likes

This is a pattern of bad behavior on Facebook’s part and it’s impossible to take their excuses seriously. It’s time to delete or at least minimize use of Facebook until they get the message.

Completely agree. Facebook has been cavalier about personal information and privacy for many years, operating on the “better to beg forgiveness than ask permission” principle. This is just more of the same – massive (possibly criminal) breach of privacy and user trust, stock is plummeting, time for a few lame mea culpas so Zuck can get back to business as usual.

I always felt he was incapable of emotional intelligence

Also agree with this. No apparent moral or ethical compass.

3 Likes

Last week, we learned from The Guardian, The New York Times and Channel 4 that Cambridge Analytica may not have deleted the data as they had certified.

Oh, yeah?

Or is that some nicely roundabout way to say last week you learned you’d got caught?

3 Likes

I could maybe buy the “errors” comment, except, FB was told at least in 2012 that they were wide open for exactly this type of breach to occur. At that time and continuing today the Execs ignored the message and actually actively failed to even do the oversite they were entitled to do.

To harrytruman and others:
I also am wondering just how many of the 50million “accounts” are real. Example, I was on FB, 8 years ago for about a week. I then “deleted” my account as I saw that the app, at least for me, was a total waste of time. To this day I get email from FB telling me that I should log back in and check this new policy or update this/that/the other. I did say I had deleted the account, so all I can believe is that FB has actually never deleted anything.

3 Likes

We just chatted about that here yesterday (or maybe the day before). Long story short, yes, that’s right… they will never give away our data, because our data is their life.

And it’s not just FB. This is always potentially a serious problem as long as we are using those online services… and it does become a bigly serious problem when those we are dealing with are particularly unethical ones like FB. In my case FB doesn’t have my info, but Google does. A lot.

2 Likes

Well, of course. That’s FB’s business model.

1 Like

Who’s gonna prosecute?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available