Discussion: Flake: If Trump Fires Mueller, Only Remedy Is 'Through Impeachment'

If people are upset about a Republican Senator threatening to impeach (technically, to convict) a Republican President because he isn’t going far enough, I think those people need to recalibrate their expectations.

This is extraordinary, in the literal sense of that word.

11 Likes

HAHA, you and who else, Senator Flake?!

3 Likes

What you say is true. And what Flake says is true. But don’t you think it’s disingenuous? He’s an outlier, sure. But that renders what he says less meaningful, because this party will not impeach this President, or convict him if he were impeached. Something would have to change dramatically for that to happen.

5 Likes

Well, I boldly predict that if this is the response Flake gets from the left when he muses impeaching a president of his own party, probably not very many Republicans will be keen to join him. With enemies like that, who needs more enemies?

1 Like

Yeah, I couldn’t “top” it myself. I don’t even like thinking about it. That Stormy is one dedicated practitioner.

2 Likes

Kinda. I guess I’m much, much more inclined towards the Wittes #coalitionofalldemocraticforces and less interested in whataboutism like “oh well ACTUALLY this is proof he doesn’t want to protect Mueller through legislation!!1”

4 Likes

Tape worms are out in force today…

1 Like

I’m glad you see it that way because I’ve felt that way about this being said by GOP myself.

I know everyone thinks they won’t act, but this is an action right here. It’s a warning from the GOP and I think they told him before they won’t support him if he tries to fire Mueller. Something has kept him from doing it since he started talking about it apparently in June.

11 Likes

Congress cannot preempt such a firing.

Yes you can. By impeaching him for everything else he’s done, including firing Comey.

5 Likes

I welcome what he’s saying. He’s obviously looking forward to a postGOPapocalypse dystopian landscape, sort of a Mad Max situation, where he’ll have some cred just for having been a warning voice. And I welcome that, sure. He does get credit. But the GOP of today, this evening, is not going to impeach anyone. A month from now, that could be different. This Cambridge Analytics stuff is huge. But Flake’s been giving Trump grief since the first day he showed up as a President-elect, and it hasn’t changed the current landscape much. Again, for the record, he gets some credit for it, but he’s not stupid and he knows what it means and doesn’t mean to say the things he says. I won’t mention his voting record.

13 Likes

Your party will do nothing. But nothing. He could get caught on tape eating live puppies and you would do nada.

6 Likes

Yeah… although I’d really like to see a “weighted Trump score” that takes seriously something like McCain’s health care vote and does not take seriously a vote on a bill naming the Bumhick Hill Valley, NE post office.

4 Likes

“Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) on Tuesday threatened to support the impeachment of President Donald Trump should Trump fire special counsel Robert Mueller.”

Despite the bewildering array of diversity among GOP Senators, the casual observer should not be fooled:

Republican upper-chamber taxonomy boils down to a single species: “Homo Partisan”.

Some specimens chronically assume the classic mating posture to party leaders (see: “Grassley, Charles”).

Others display mock aggression before abruptly exposing their haunches (see: “Paul, Rand”).

Many engage in an elaborate and coy dance, often lasting days, before they yield (see: “Graham, Lindsay”).

But in the end, the species simply cannot overcome its biological urges.

To put party before country.

Everything else is just minor variation in diet, habitat, and plumage.

24 Likes

So he gets props for saying something?

1 Like

The Constitution requires
(1.) a majority vote in the house to impeach
(2.) two thirds super majority to convict a person being impeached. (66 or more votes)

even if Trump shot and killed puppies and missionaries on live TV - and Tweeted about it - there would be at least 35 GOP senators who would say that the facts are ambiguous and the President simply was making a point… too soon to consider anything definitive…

7 Likes

I remembered the 1990 film “The Freshman” when you said that. Amusing bit of fluff.

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed that.

Also, it’s easy for Flake to talk about impeachment: he’s not in the House.

5 Likes

No, really, it is not. It’s really not.

That’s not easy. Not even for a Senator, not even for a Senator who is not running for re-election.

This is not normal, and some of what we see from Republicans in Congress is a loud, shrieking siren that they also know that it is not normal.

6 Likes

Trump’s legal team had sent what the Post described as “written descriptions that chronicle key moments under investigation”

And some members of Mueller’s team still haven’t stopped laughing.

5 Likes

Given the makeup and character (lack of) of the House and its Speaker, I don’t see how an impeachment charge would ever get to the Senate for trial. But. if we can flip the House … ???

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available