Discussion: GOP Establishment Has Uphill Battle To Keep Firebrand Roy Moore From Senate

Do NOT leave Minnesota off the list. We elected Michelle Bachmann and she is high on the list of RWNJ’s*

*right wing nut jobs

1 Like

Sure, but the “toxic meme” is racist, christo-fundy, right-wing garbage, and you can’t stop people from being offended by the determined backwards nature of the region, generally.

You CANNOT blame people for knowing damn well where that SMELL has been coming from our whole lives!

1 Like

No, we DID just grasp it in 2016…and still LOST! NONE of that matters to the “Identity Politics” (White, Christian, “ABORTION!!!”) of the GOP. None of it!

1 Like

Yeah, I seem to recall hearing folks say something very similar about a blowhard New York real estate huckster with no qualifications and fewer morals, a while ago.

1 Like

Sessions is a close ally — Strange helped on his campaigns and followed him as state attorney general. But Sessions doesn’t plan to have any involvement in the race because of the ethical constraints of his current job.

How weird this world has become, when Jefferson Beauregard Sessions stands out among his peers in the administration for his (relatively) high regard for ethical constraints.

1 Like

I’m really sick of these maps. Most of that red is empty space and doesn’t represent people, i.e.: voters. For example I can look at that tiny blue dot in the middle of Minnesota that represents the Twin Cities and tell you that’s about 3.5 million people - a million more than the rest of the state combined.

3 Likes

I understand being sick of maps like that, but it’s a reality that we have to deal with. That “empty” space may not represent a lot of voters, but it still adds up to votes – in Congress, in the Electoral College, in state houses where the next redistricting battles will be fought.

Is this how one would rationally design a representational democratic system from scratch, without any of the messy constraints of history, geography, past political tradeoffs? Hardly.

But if you want to fight and win, you’ve got to do it on the field that actually exists, not an ideal smooth plane. (Insert joke about “spherical frictionless chickens” here.)

1 Like

There seems to be a pervasive layer of sociopathy across much of the conservative base. They are unable (unwilling?) to empathize with unfamiliar experiences and they appear to assume they face the starkest game theory scenarios.

It’s as if they think they are stuck in the prisoner’s dilemma and they are positive they have to betray the other side first because they “know” the other side is already planning to betray them. The idea that Democrats/liberals/progressives/whathaveyous could be willing to work together with the other side doesn’t even cross their radar as a possibility. They are absolutely certain that any shenanigans they would consider doing, the other side would be just as eager (if not more so) to use against them.

2 Likes

“What the fuck is wrong with you people?”
Alabama.

Zero sum thinking does seem to be a common characteristic of the Republican mindset. As for "sociopathy, I think that goes too far. Mostly. There is a pronounced tendency to not be able to empathize with people who aren’t like them. Plenty of empathy for those whose experiences are culturally comprehensible, but not for those whose circumstances are unrelatable. I still recall starkly more or less decent Republicans being unable to fathom how all those people ended up sheltering in Katrina in the King Dome rather than just leaving town and fleeing inland. Literally couldn’t imagine that there were really that many people who lacked the resources to do that.

4 Likes

Ummm… did you read the heading on that map? It says “Change between 2012 and 2016”. It’s not a map of how right or left the counties are, merely how much movement there was…

Besides the desire to split off the South comes as much from their fervent need to maintain separateness from the rest of the nation as their specific voting record. The fact that a lot of them can’t seem to get over the fact that the Confederacy lost. There aren’t many Minnesotans chanting that the South will rise again. So sure, why not let the old Confederacy go their own way? The rest of the country will be better off without them economically… we can buy their products for less than what we send them in transfer payments.

Because it’s fucking stupid and based on a stupidly false premise.

Because this:

And this:

And this:

And this:

And this:

https://noczone-fvdefpncfaxtmfnyjx.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/NuclearWarHeader.jpg

2 Likes

“A lot of folks think he can shoot off a lot of fireworks in D.C. while not doing a lot of harm.”

Uh-huh

1 Like

Ummmm…ummm

1 Like

OK … Alright …

besides the ’ obvious ’ part ? ? …

Brownstainback has been an ambitious whackadoodle since he was a student at Kansas State U. I knew him then. He’s way worse now.

2 Likes

Why would any Alabamian want to stop Chief Justice Roy Moore from becoming Majority-Leader of the Senate?

Because even Alabama has some intelligent citizens.

Moore has as much chance of being Majority Leader of the Senate as you have of being right about anything of substance—zero.

1 Like

Ha! Ha! Ha! “Lordy,” as James Comey would say; I see what you mean. Justice Moore could run for president in 2020

Yes, he could.

And he’d make Goldwater look like a landslide winner.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available