Discussion: How Trump's Obamacare Sabotage Sets Him Up For His Own Political Misery

What I worry about now this gang of Don’tcares will push through the selling of junk policies. So his fans will be “see it’s all OK, I’m paying less.” That is until they need more than their junk policy provides.

8 Likes

I am not so sure about that now that he has actually stuck his oar in and issued a couple of EOs.

Before he put his hands on it he could claim Obamacare was imploding all on its own. Now that he has put his hands on it his fans will think he has fixed their problems.

2 Likes

Really? I would have guessed about 6 or 7. I know for a fact that, by the age of 10, I had a more varied vocabulary than Trump does now - and I’m guessing the same could be said by most of the commentors here.

3 Likes

Unless all of the bars in the east and midwest frequented by Putin’s gullible rubes were closed Sunday night(possible in a few deep red states or districts, but not likely elsewhere) the story below got through to them.
In a bar with several TV sets, all it took was a regular to ask the barkeep “what’s on 60 minutes”, and it was checked. When it became apparent that the answer ws an “oxycontin story”, the patrons undoubtedly were interested.
If the infamous folks at 60 minutes and the WaPo had planned for weeks on the best story to enlighten those benighted concerning the GOP’s complete lack of concern for their welfare, they couldn’t have surpassed this.
Many more stories like this, and Nascar will be scheduling Sunday night racing in an effort to take patrons out of the bars. Good luck with that.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’ll be hard to blame Obama and the Democrats for the ACA exploding when everyone can see Trump’s thumb on the ignition trigger.

7 Likes

That’s fucking moron to you, sir!

14 Likes

Apparently not.

1 Like

I suspect there may be a problem with that analysis - if Trump’s sabotage of the ACA backfires by accidentally improving it, then it seems likely that Trump would try to take credit for the improvement.

6 Likes

…alleging that insurance companies were already rich and they didn’t support his election.

This one is so interesting to me. Would something like this give insurance companies standing to sue? I mean, I get that all gov’t policy creates winners and losers in the marketplace. There’s just no way around that. But for trump to come right out and say explicitly that his intent is to punish a particular company or a particular industry for not giving his campaign enough support, would those companies have a legal right to protect their business?

5 Likes

They’ve already got a right to sue. The law explicitly requires the payments to be made. We went through this before with risk corridors, where the insurance companies that managed to stay in business after the program was ostensibly defunded got hundreds of millions in payments they were legally owed.

14 Likes

The insurance companies already have standing to sue. Whether or not funds were appropriated for the CSR’s, the law still states that they’re owed the CSR money. If it doesn’t come from appropriations, it’ll come from the government’s fund to settle suits and pay off judgments against it.

Edited to Add: And now I see that PaulW got there first.

6 Likes

That’s my guess. I know virtually nothing about hockey, so if I were trump and were required to talk about hockey, I’d blather incoherently about the subject, tossing in a few terms like “power play” and “hat trick” because I heard somewhere that those are hockey phrases… (In actuality, I’d admit I know nothing about hockey and keep my mouth shut!)

3 Likes

Up next, Mueller time!

3 Likes

8 people needed help. Democrats, always erring on the side of being too conservative, helped 6 and were sorry to fall short. They promised to do their best for the other 2. Republicans called this a total failure and an unbearable assault on freedom. So instead, they judged 5 people, neglected the other 3 and wound up costing everyone more than it would have to help all 8 in the first place.

Sunday talk shows featured the kid who crapped in the pool, with his elaborate theory how the pool guy owns it. People’s eyes are burning but what they really need is freedom to dive in the shallow end.

10 Likes

His followers are morans so they will have no problem blaming Obama. Remember these are the same folks that think his proposed tax cut will help them.

3 Likes

Well, at least those of us with microscopes.

1 Like

Irony is officially dead.

15 Likes

Did you read books when you were 6,7,8,9, or 10? If so then your vocabulary would definitely been higher. If the only thing you read at that age were the comic strips then this is what you get.

7 Likes

“National Character counts week”
Oops, there goes another “count” on Trump’s indictment.

2 Likes

I’m not worried about Trump’s followers - his fan base is not going to vote Dem no matter what. But there are a minority of centrist Trump voters (about 10-20% of the people who voted for him) who basically voted against Clinton rather than for Trump.

They can be persuaded to vote Democratic, or at least to sit out the election, when they see that Trump’s and the GOP’s policies are costing them money and hurting them.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available