Discussion: Jefferson Davis Monument In Arizona Tarred and Feathered

why is there a Jefferson davis statue in Arizona?!

32 Likes

Lot’s of white snowbirds perch there…

15 Likes

You beat me to it.

3 Likes

Putting aside for the moment the question of why there is a confederate memorial in Arizona in the first place, I want to know…

well actually, I don’t want to put that aside for the moment. WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A CONFEDERATE MEMORIAL IN ARIZONA IN THE FIRST PLACE? Is there also an SS memorial somewhere near Sheriff Arpaio’s house that we don’t yet know about?

25 Likes

The tar and feathering was a nice touch.

42 Likes

Well, he was just asking for it!

6 Likes

It cannot be lost on the citizens of the South all this outpouring of anger, and the obliteration of their cultural icons, is actually more so an expression on the part of millions of their feelings toward them, not their statues.
It’s not so much we want the statues of Jeff Davis, Lee and Jackson to go away. We want Texas and Alabama and Mississippi and a few other states south of the Mason-Dixon swallowed by the Earth. That’s when the healing can start.

13 Likes

No need . Arpaio is a Living Memorial.

19 Likes

More and more.

1 Like

Do we get to tar and feather that one too?

11 Likes

If it’s free speech…

5 Likes

I’d rather tar and feather the neo-Nazis and their ilk.

2 Likes

LOVE IT! This should happen nationwide.

8 Likes

Because someone saw a black person there once.

8 Likes

Remember how Arizona was a holdout on the MLK National Holiday?

22 Likes

The same reason there are Jeff Davis Counties in Texas and Georgia, a Jeff Davis Parish in Louisiana, a Jefferson Davis County in Mississippi; that there is a state holiday on Jefferson Davis’s birthday in Florida and Alabama; and that the senior senator of Mississippi, by a standing rule of the Senate, gets assigned Jefferson Davis’s old desk.

There are a lot of people in power who believe that the wrong side won the Civil War.

20 Likes

Looks like it’s a remnant of the Jefferson Davis Highway that was sponsored by the Daughters of the Confederacy. Kind of sickening that these markers were allowed to exist for all this time all across the country.

14 Likes

It was probably put up in the 20s or 30s, long before there were snowbirds alighting there in large numbers.

Astounding all the memorials to the confederacy in states that weren’t even in existence. Nothing to do with racism though purely due to heritage, not hate…what utter BS.

Wonder why black folks whose ancestor that fought for the confederacy don’t seem to want to put up a bunch on statues? Maybe like Arnold says they are embarrassed about being lead astray?

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available