Discussion: Jefferson Davis Monument In Arizona Tarred and Feathered

Chickens is right.

Damn, Arnold does good anti-Nazi statements.

1 Like

That’s very interesting to me as a general question.

“Vandalism” has a statutory definition of course, but at what point does “wanton” destruction become principled?

I would have dressed it up in pink underwear with a sheriff hat on its head.

1 Like

Clearly correct. That wouldn’t justify a lack of concern or empathy for those who are in the minority. I live in south central PA and it’s bad enough here without having to imagine what Alabama is like.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I tried to raise this issue in the Hope Hicks thread and was somewhat disappointed that after suggesting that we should avoid “tribal” reactions, was told by one respondent that we are tribal. Nope, I’m not.

I absolutely condemn those who marched under the Nazis flag for marching, but when I see calls to “string them up” and other expressions of hate, I see a mirror reflecting poorly on those who would adopt the same tools and techniques as those they would condemn.

I don’t think I’m hypocritical when I welcome the firings, if done with sadness (I believe that “sorry, we can’t have such behaviors associated with us” is appropriate), and I welcome the return of public condemnation of other such inappropriate public behavior, but this isn’t about one team beating another. As a nation I like to think that we’re better than that…

1 Like

I see what you did there… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Even if this is true, and not a side effect of generations of gerrymandering, intimidation and neglect, you might want to consider extending some sympathy for the minority who aren’t members of that odious tribe you condemn so loudly. After all, if there is a path forward, we’ll need such people on our side.

2 Likes

Except that during the Civil War, inhabitants of the territory supported the bad guys. Arizona comes by its racism naturally.

They are of no use. Their states cast their electoral vote for Republican Presidential candidates, despite their individual votes. They elect Republican Governors most of the time. They send GOP Senators and Representatives to Congress. Until these theoretical “good” Southerners outnumber the idiots they live with they are not in a position to positively affect Congress or the White House. Their votes are throwaways.

Well, hopefully I’m of some use, here in Oklahoma. If nothing else, I’d think that if not for folks like us, (believe it or not) things could be worse!

I still helped HRC’s total votes exceed tRump’s, most of my political giving goes for out-of-state races & causes (many successful), and I’ve got a few “plans” up my sleeve I’m working on that might be of interest some day…

It’s plenty disheartening a lot of the time and I certainly feel your frustration, but you don’t have to (and shouldn’t) write us off quite so harshly.

The border between the Arizona and New Mexico territories used to be E-W instead of N-S and the southern part was Arizona. There was at least one Civil War battle in old AZ, a few in old NM.

There’s a Jefferson Davis Memorial highway in AZ. That’s sum BS there.

1 Like

Yes. A great prank.
Does anyone know where Irasdad was when this occurred?
BTW Should we now adopt tar and feathers as our weapon of choice for Confederate statues? Could be fun.

1 Like

Note that applying tar to rock, concrete or metal does not actually damage them in anyway. It takes a bit of effort to remove, but steam cleaning is more than up to the job to completely remove said tar.

(They probably poured driveway or roofing patch on the monument, since this is by far the easiest way to “tar” something.)

So the question of “destruction”, wanton or otherwise, does not arise in this case.

A monument commemorating the only first president of the Confederacy was vandalized with tar and feathers this week, a local Gold Canyon, Arizona TV station reported Thursday.

Fixed the lede in case nobody else did.

Well said, sir. Well said.
Now, how do we get rid of this false idol?

Can you imagine there being a lot of status in Germany and countries Germany occupied having statues to Hitler and his generals. Schools, roads and military based named in their honor. If you stop and think of it like that it’s fucking mind boggling.

Yeah, it would be. I’d say ‘only in America’, but the UK does weird things about both sides of their civil wars, too… of course, both sides of their civil wars eventually traded power back and forth within the Royal Family a few times before the next civil war…

… maybe it’s an anglo-saxon thing?

Alt-poultry

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available