Discussion: KKK Hoods, Nazi Salutes: Magazine Covers Take On Trump, Charlottesville

That’s fine. How does “President Paul Ryan” grab you?

1 Like

Right. I already explained how that’s different from blowing with your lungs while you’re in the boat. Check the thread you replied to…it’s there somewhere.

Cheers!

Geraldo couldn’t have had in his mind, during his tweet, that their are some trivial differences in their involvements of racism in order to compare both Robert E. Lee and Erwin Rommel. Not defending these two unjust killers, but the alternate facts Right idiots, as well as Geraldo Rivera, like to pick and choose from history to what fit their bigoted views/sentiments. His Rommel’s “untarnished by the sins of his brothers” could just be an excuse for an admired warrior, who became the “tool” of a maniacal leader. At the very, very least, waking from the Nazi delusion and nearing humiliating defeat, Rommel sought redemption to save his country in a conspiracy to assassinate the Fuhrer to end the atrocities that he was authorized to commit. He was, of course, eliminated by the paranoid mass killer.

Lee? He was born a racist, and breed as one. As a West Point trained general, he chose the racist side to play the “superiority fight.” GOOD defeated him, so he should’ve been hanged, but saved by a West Point fella, Gen Grant. He, then, went to conspire to stop Reconstruction to such effect that spurned the continued legacy of racism that’s still hunting us–now with a coward racist at the White House. Doesn’t that make you wonder why there are more Lee statues in the country than both Grant and Lincoln combined?

3 Likes

Aw, thanks! Turns out I often want to be you when I grow up :smiley:

I was going to go into more detail about equal but opposite forces in the original post but I thought it would be too much detail. Turns out a lot of designs for perpetual motion machines overlook something like that. They’re pulling on something that’s attached to a wall, for example, and the designer forgot (or didn’t realize) that the wall is pulling back.

1 Like

Nostradumbass?

1 Like

And because the South still thinks it can rise again, lots of places are named after Lee, monuments, roads, highways, etc… The Husband is an ardent student of the Civil War and finds Lee as traitorous as you’ve described.

3 Likes

Wrong. Pence will be incapable of uniting the R party, will probably cause more divisions just by the simple fact of him being in the office. Nevertheless, Pence will face a future like Ford’s. He won’t be elected as prez and will be seen only as a traitor who aided and abetted impeachment and not just by the 30-odd% hard core 45 supporters.

3 Likes

Pence can claim he was elected, as part of the Repub ticket. Ford was appointed into the VP-ency and was therefore never elected .

Plus, back in the day, a good number of Republicans had a sense of ethics and were in office to do the best for their constituents.

Pence might be a “placeholder,” but I believe he will be rather an “active” one, if only as a touchstone for the nasty agendas held by Repugs against basic human rights.

Hoping that Mueller has the goods on Pence and many in the R “leadership.”

ETA : I hope your vision is the correct one - @littlegirlblue

“And because the South still thinks it can rise again, lots of places are named after Lee, monuments, roads, highways, etc…”

I had to scratch my head when Fort Lee, NJ–the neighborhood across the Hudson River from Manhattan that became the focus of slime Gov Chris Christie’s Bridgegate scandal–crossed my mind.

The Senate has the most awkward political imbalance. Why should a state like Montana barely with 1 million people–oddly enough with two senators and just one House representative–has a senator with the same swaying power of one from California that’s over 40 million? That’s political inequality to me!

There’s no indication that he would just be a placeholder. He’s a religious fanatic and a hypocrite, a deadly combination.

As I watched on Tuesday evening when Trump delivered his most bizarre press performance, I suddenly realized that all Donald needed to make this scene complete, was red paint around his mouth and a red ball as his nose! Yes, all he needed was his clown face and he would have stuck that deranged act, 100%!

Donald J Trump has always been a broken man! Now the entire world knows exactly how broken he truly is…

He’s just like the Humpty Dumpty rhyme, he had a great fall and all the king’s man, could not put him back together again!

That´s what Tony Schwartz says, and I tend to believe him.

I see your hand-waving, but do not believe it. On the one hand, you are right because it takes a lot of energy applied to the sail, in this fashion, in order to see any effect at all - human lungs cannot do this. But that is not what you are objecting to.

-Your idea that the stored chemical energy in a battery is “outside the system” in a way that is different from stored chemical energy in ones body, is mistaken.

-Your idea that the fan mounting to the bench in the boat is different from the connection between ones posterior and the bench, is mistaken. (And even if this line of reasoning had some merit, it could be fixed by designing a better mount for the human.)

“Your idea that the stored chemical energy in a battery is “outside the
system” in a way that is different from stored chemical energy in ones
body, is mistaken.”

No, no. That’s not what I said at all. In fact I said the exact opposite – that both are energy stores that could potentially be converted to other forms.

What you need to do to understand this is draw a force-vector diagram. What the turbine fan is doing is slapping the air to move the air relative to the fan. It’s not at all a matter of energy conversion. It’s a matter of mechanics.

The reason the fan works for this is because it’s moving a stream of air relative to the boat. That’s a function of the angle of the blades as they spin. They slap the air forward, creating a low pressure zone that is immediately filled with more air. That’s how the air stream is generated.

When you huff and puff, the mechanics are different. You can only push the air our of your lungs by exerting a force against the frame of your body. If your body’s going to stay inside the boat, it has to push against the boat with as much force as it uses to blow the air out of your lungs – and do so in the opposite direction from which the expelled air leaves your lungs.

If you want to move the boat using metabolic energy, the way to do that is to paddle. Your body being attached to the boat then becomes an asset instead of a liability because you are pushing the water relative to the boat with each stroke.

When I was in High School, our physics teacher, wanting to demonstrate the mechanical advantage of pulleys, set up a block and tackle system so that the 2 girls in the class could out-pull the 20 something guys. We ended up pulling the steam radiator off the wall.

1 Like

:laughing: The proverbially overlooked externality…

And embarrassed the hell out of the teacher.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available