Discussion: KKK Hoods, Nazi Salutes: Magazine Covers Take On Trump, Charlottesville

I think we are gonna see our share of hurl-inducing moments between now and 2020 regardless of which one is President.

4 Likes

I was just thinking about Corker’s use of the word “Stability” and rethinking my comment… maybe we are finally approaching critical mass. Maybe a few rethugs are gaming out mental health scenarios, succession, messaging etc. And maybe we’re also approaching another critical mass of intolerance for hate and divisiveness, which is oddly ironic, so that we’re seeing a meta-critical mass event in the country. Admittedly, the confluence of these heavy pressures, coupled with intense investigations, terrorism/racism, republican’s public and disavowal of trumps narrative, polls, etc… Damn. Maybe I can borrow a little of your hope and dare to dream again.

BEND, arc of the moral universe! BEND BABY, BEND!

13 Likes

You say that as if it were unlikely.

7 Likes

The New Yorker and The Economist will be the ones that really get to him. They are both publications of the “establishment” from whom he so desperately wants approval.

8 Likes

The Guardian has some good ones:

14 Likes

Does he know there’s such a thing as the New Yorker? Never heard him mention it. Bit above his grade level actually.

12 Likes

MSNBC had reporters on today who reported that, privately, most of Congress thinks 45 is fucking insane and unstable in the clinical sense.

17 Likes

The New Yorker has been relentless.

13 Likes

Just heard somewhere I can’t remember that a Jefferson Davis memorial in Arizona was tarred-and-feathered. I usually find vandalism indefensible, but…
Also heard that our favorite heroes, the lovely and talented rapist-supporting WikiLeaks (fascist supported - Glenn Greenwald approved!) refused 68 GBs of Intel on the Kremln because they wanted to focus on THAT WOMAN.
Yeah, Assange had no dog in that fight whatsoever.

7 Likes

I’m sure it eats at him, even if he doesn’t tweet about them.

5 Likes

Obama has 720,000 likes for his Twitter response to Barcelona and increasing.

13 Likes

O this is getting too fucking good.

4 Likes

Apropos of nothing…

2. Trump gradually (or not-so-gradually) enters a death spiral.
[snipped text]
At the same time, we don’t yet know very much about how sustainable Trump’s schtick will be as president, so it would be foolish to dismiss the possibility that he’s in over his head and never really recovers. Trump is fighting a lot of battles at once without much of a support structure around him. Moreover, his problems could be self-reinforcing as issues pile on top of one another and public opinion turns against him, especially if the more coolheaded and competent advisers and Cabinet members flee the White House as Trump begins to falter. In this scenario, Trump’s approval ratings wouldn’t necessarily fall off a cliff — his base would give him a mulligan or two — but they would move slowly and inexorably downward, as happened to George W. Bush during his last two years in office. Although a desperate and deeply unpopular Trump could pose some risks to American institutions, the general idea here is that Trump would become too ineffectual too quickly to cause all that much lasting damage. Impeachment and resignation are plausible endgames in this scenario.

Emphasis mostly mine.

5 Likes

I refuse to believe that someone of Paul Ryan’s character would ever push a poor grandmother off of a cliff.
He would have a member of his Congressional staff do it.

5 Likes

723 K. now.

Wonderful!

6 Likes

He is. And it hasn’t really started yet. I think his future is mapped out for him. And anyone who remembers late-night TV from a few decades ago has already seen the movie.

1 Like

I guess I’ll say this again - it does not matter who takes over for a disgraced president. That person is only a place-holder until the next election because that person wasn’t elected.

Quit worrying about what happens when Trump is not in office = it will be magnitudes better than having him in office.

12 Likes

One of 'em’s mine! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I could see the GOP schism into the “Fuck over the 99% Party”, and the White Nationalist, “Tiki Torchistas” Party.

4 Likes

I’m getting tired of saying this and may have it made up into a button. Save me a lot of exasperation.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available