Discussion: McConnell Withdraws Trump Judicial Pick Minutes Before Confirmation Vote

OT, but this has my heart going pitter-patter. Sorry for the cut and paste. Not on Facebook so I couldn’t just link.

11 Likes

Sen. John McCain’s absence due to his battle with brain cancer has given the GOP even less cushion, with Republicans holding a 50-49 voting edge.

Is that with Pence voting? McCain is in AZ, and Thad Cochran’s seat is empty now because he retired in April, isn’t it?

The ground is shifting…

6 Likes

Worked for scalia.

12 Likes

So, Sen. Scott is willing to support Trump on anything and to throw just about anybody under the bus - until the moment comes when he realizes that it looks as if they are coming for him or people who look like him. Not impressed.

On the other hand: This never would have happened in the glory days of Sen.s Thurmond and Helms. Darkies would have known their proper place in the GOP in those days, and that place would not have been in the Senate.

1 Like

Oh the irony in your comment. You do know why we have Jeff Sessions as AG and not a federal judge, right?

5 Likes

My money is on a group photo with a certain red headed gun toteing 4.0 student: think trumps razor :wink:

6 Likes

This dude is the Boy Who Made Good from a town just 20 minutes down the interstate from me. He must’ve murdered a baby on video or something.

@sparrowhawk

I wonder why? I mean Trump saying what he said at the Helsinki presser was things he has said in the past. The behind closed door meeting with Putin was similar to how Trump and Kim met. So was it because it was on the world stage? But so was Singapore. So what turned some Republicans this week?

2 Likes

Mueller indicted 12 officers of the Russian intelligence services right before Trumpy went and lied to the whole world again with Putin standing right there smiling.

That’s kind of difficult to pass off as no collusion when he colluded with Putin right then and there and on TV. I think they have heard from their voters who are pissed. Not all their voters are Trumpists.

They don’t want any more controversy before the elections, if they can help it. This guy is controversial as fuck.

12 Likes

You are probably correct, I just find this change of modus operandi it bit unsettling, like we are standing on quick sand and not a fault line.

4 Likes

The folks here at TPM would like to give a big round of applause for Roy Moore!

Roy, are you there? Take a bow, none of this would have been possible without you…

Once again folks, let’s hear it for Roy Moore…

6 Likes

I think the optics have played a large role. Republicans are very much in the “Perception is Reality” camp. As @tena says, Mueller had just indicted a dozen Russian intelligence officers (not implausibly deniable Russian hackers) and Trump was seen standing on the stage next to Putin, practically slathering him in praise.

You take all those things Trump has said previously, line them up together alongside Trump’s inability to show even a modicum of resistance to or independence from the smirking Russian President next to him and that’s finally a bridge too far for some Reps.

10 Likes

McConnell used the Blue Slips as a fig leaf…

He and Grassley have completely ignored them to now for Trumps judicial picks, thereby poisoning a long established Senate protocol…

Payback will be a bitch, assuming the Dem ever grow a set of gonads and somehow pick up the Senate…

6 Likes

Actually, I think you’re correct - it is quicksand.

McConnell didn’t have the votes apparently. He can’t afford to lose one like that right now.

That’s my take on it - the two things together: Trump in Helsinki and a lack of confidence in this nominee.

11 Likes

Seems to me like you are describing a Ken doll. Remember Barbie & Ken? (I’m giving away my age here). “Conservative-Christo-Facist” funny and sad at the same time.

3 Likes

Why do I find my Robert Reich post so utterly exciting and no one here with the exception of a couple of people, have even commented on it? I feel like I’m living in the Twilight Zone….

6 Likes

I thought that ironic reference was baked into the original comment

2 Likes

Pence can only break a tie . With McCain absent it’s either the republicans win by one or they lose by one - there’s no room for McConnell to let one senator be “mavericky” and have pence still secure the outcome

6 Likes

Yes, but Cochran is gone, too. Is someone filling in temporarily?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available