Discussion: MS Gov. Appoints Ag. Commissioner Hyde-Smith To Senate, Setting Up Tea Party Challenge

1 Like

Go, GOP! Keep nominating batshit crazy candidates for office. They really are suffering “prion disease,” as Charles Pierce constantly reminds us.

4 Likes

A moderate Democrat! Oh the shame of it all.

2 Likes

I must admit, a competitive Senate race in Mississippi was not on my radar.

2 Likes

I will never understand how someone can be both “Pro-Life” and “Pro-Gun” at the same time.

Cognitive Dissonance.

6 Likes

What happened, Donnie? No loyalty? Sad!

White House opposed Republican picked to replace Cochran

2 Likes

Kind of reminds me of these plates from where I’m at …

mounted on an emissions belching SUV …

Does being a Senator from Mississippi even count?

According to the NYT, there’s no primary for a special election in MS. The top two vote-getters in the November election face off in a runoff several weeks later, assuming no one claims a majority.

One goes into elections with the candidates one has, not with the candidates one wishes one had.

ETA: Bryant had few good choices among GOPers who either wanted the position (others he considered are contemplating runs for other offices) or could stand a chance against McDaniel (whom Bryant despises). Hyde-Smith has won state-wide election a couple of times and seems well-liked in the state. I’d also add that, given Trump’s track record on backing candidates so far, his not liking Hyde-Smith might actually be a good omen for her chances come November (though–for all kinds of historical and cultural as well as political reasons–the idea of Mike Espy winning would be pretty darned sweet).

Given what happened in Alabama, it is entirely possible Hyde-Smith might be a better opponent for Espy than the Tea Party guy.

Because saying you are pro-life is not being pro-life.

Good times.

“When she is sworn in, the number of women in the upper chamber of Congress will grow to 23, a new high.”

23 out of 100 is not a particularly high high.

Now how can we get Espy out of the race and Brandon Presley in for another Southern D pickup?!

Ask Gorsuch.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available