Discussion: Nursing Home Staff Called 911 Six Times For Dying Patients Before Evacuating

By all means, get a new generator. That home’s bigger problem is a desperate, appalling lack of adult supervision, which makes the White House look like a tightly run ship.

Horrifying.

Sadly. this an example of why regulations are often necessary - no the market place does not force businesses to invest in safety and some will not do if not required.

Due to Trump’s deregulation happy fingers …bringing deregulation - willy nilly with nary an eye to public heath, safety, or well being.

5 Likes

This one is a puzzler, Scott gave out a phone to call for places like this. What did that accomplish?

By the time the second patient needed to have 911 call why didn’t staff tell the 911 operator what was going on?

There is lack of training on the home’s part and lack of follow through on the governor’s staff part.

And can I just point out here were 14 deaths because of lack of electricity and yet the Mayor of San Juan pleas for help were being “filtered out” as per Brock Long.

4 Likes

It sounds (among other things) as if the staff there overnight was so busy dealing with individual cases that they didn’t have the time or energy to step back and think about the bigger disaster unfolding. Did anyone there even have the authority to call an evacuation for heat?

3 Likes

My thinking too. Was the amount of preparation and training they received not there or were they told to rely on the Gov’s phone number for help?

3 Likes
4 Likes

Much improved - thanks.

1 Like

Bull shit. Your thinking is why Republicans have a field day with “nanny state” Democrats who want to regulate every last thing.

The world is unpredictable (see: Benghazi).

I really don’t want “unelected bureaucrats” deciding they can divine every last calamity that might come to me and mine, or prohibit an activity because in a minuscule percentage of cases, it can lead to harm.

That’s not to say that we shouldn’t LEARN from history, or take sensible precautions as a result of scientific extrapolations. But let’s not pretend that we are solving problems by scapegoating workers caught up in disasters or by adding costs through regulating every last possible risk.

The world is unpredictable (see: Benghazi).

2 Likes

The nursing home management apparently required 911 operators to synthesize the situation, that there was a systemic problem at the nursing home that endangered every occupant of the home.

There are many nursing homes in Florida [citation needed]; there is only one 911.

What the hell does the nursing home management do for a living, other than have individual staff call 911 any time any individual resident is in danger? How the hell were they not able to synthesize this information and present the entire situational problem to emergency responders?

We’re lucky 911 operators were paying enough attention to put together what was happening within those walls, or else many more residents might have died.

Oh I agree, but I wonder how many of the nursing home staff that were on duty that night were the experienced kind, and when I say experienced I don’t mean only know how to do CPR, but real crisis management with authority to act skills.

2 Likes

Widespread incompetence. And outright criminality by the owner and “management” of the facility.

1 Like

None.

Not almost always. ALWAYS.

1 Like

This seems almost inexplicable. Why on earth were these patients not evacuated sooner?

While poor training and perhaps lack of authority might account for the failures of lower-level staff to recognize the severity of the situation, what about any actual registered nurses who were on duty? What about whatever MD was responsible for these patients? How could any bona fide medical professional fail to recognize the situation for what it was?

If it was because the managers of the nursing home didn’t want to lose the reimbursement for these patients, they should face charges of elder abuse, negligent homicide, and/or whatever else applies.

My guess: MD would be on call for the night shift, assuming that they could even be reached in the middle of a disaster. RN might be one for the facility, also assuming they weren’t out. And RN would also be tending individuals. I am pretty sure that earlier reports aid actual managers were only reachable by phone.

1 Like

Sounds like a pretty plausible scenario.

Regardless, someone ON SITE should have the authority to call for evacuation – precisely because individuals off site may be unreachable in an emergency. If no one there did have that authority, that’s a major problem. If someone there did have that authority, but did not exercise it, that’s something they’re going to have to explain.

Nice image, but a *non sequitur" - my Benghazi example was meant to illustrate the fact that you can’t always know what might occur; in other words, to challenge the apparent prevailing belief among some on the Right that everything about Benghazi was foreseeable.

Your “tinfoil” makes no sense in this context.

Prosecute the governor.

Lock him up!
Lock him up!
Lock him up!

he erased those calls.

Lock him up!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available