Discussion: NYT Defends Its Facebook Reporting After Scrutiny From Law Blog

2 Likes

The Times has a lot to answer for regarding the 2016 election. So far they aren’t doing it.

20 Likes

Lets be realistic, the only forum in which the NYT is adamantly and steadfastly aggressive in its reporting is anything anti-clinton whether it be true or false is irrelevant. Anything else is for sale to the highest bidder and has been for decades. The sooner people start to take this as fact, the less influence they will have on the american narrative.

5 Likes

The digital herd mentality is bad enough without Facebook adding rocket fuel to it.

4 Likes

The way to handle this, in my opinion, is to haul Zuckerberg and Sandberg to a public forum in Congress under oath, and even better, in front of Mueller. Before it’s said and done, I think they’ll have to come clean to the Special Counsel so as to determine exactly what crimes were committed by C.A. and possibly Facebook.

If Facebook knew C.A. had stolen private information and did nothing to stop them, they aided and abetted fraud against the United States.

14 Likes

The New York Times could put this story to rest by rehiring super stenographer Judith Miller and fabulous fabulist Jayson Blair to get to the bottom of it.

OT Where’s “Scooter”?

13 Likes

“All the comfort that’s fit for the comfortable”.

5 Likes

Facebook also failed every one of its users by not informing them of the theft of the data. Not necessarily the personal information people willingly gave away taking those stupid “Find Out What Kind Of Seahorse You Resemble” quizzes, but rather the way it “fingered” out to everyone on their Friends list.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-20/ftc-said-to-be-probing-facebook-for-use-of-personal-data

Google : Don’t be evil :: Facebook : Be a weasel.

15 Likes

You mean like two weeks of breathless coverage of the ‘Clinton Foundation scandal’?
The Times is so obsessed with ‘balance’ that they loose their mooring.
Thank God for the WaPost.

9 Likes

It’s mustelids all the way down.

5 Likes

I posit that they are also in business primarily to make a profit.

4 Likes

This “story” is a complete nothingburger, imho. It’s not as if they changed or removed the original story. Who cares if they “softened” the language? It’s still a fact that Facebook is refusing to respond to questions about its behavior. Let’s not shoot the messenger here. The Times is hardly faultless, but as has been pointed out, they are also primarily a profit-making enterprise, not a crusader. If Law Blog (which I’d never heard of before this post) doesn’t like the way the story is reported on another site, how about doing their own research and publishing their findings? Interview Zuckerberg and Sandberg, don’t attack a competitor.

7 Likes

Lean in to a cover-up.

2 Likes

Exactly. There’s nothing conspiratorial going on here. Rather, the NYT has built themselves a mighty high pedestal and have a meager capacity for sel criticism. When they make mistakes -all too often imho - folks are lining up for a chance to knock them off their perch.

4 Likes

Doesn’t surprise me in the least that the Guardian got this scoop, not the NYT. If I had some scoop on my hands–sadly I don’t–I know where I’d take it.

2 Likes

Well, the other forum in which the NYTimes is aggressive is in defending NYTimes reporters…

3 Likes

From the Columbia Journalism Review:

"Consistent with other studies of media coverage of the election, our analysis finds that The New York Times focused much more on ‘dramatic’ issues like the horserace or personal scandals than on substantive policy issues. Moreover, when the paper did write about policy issues, it failed to mention important details, in some cases giving readers a misleading impression of the true state of affairs. If voters had wanted to educate themselves on issues such as healthcare, immigration, taxes, and economic policy—or how these issues would likely be affected by the election of either candidate as president—they would not have learned much from reading the Times…

In retrospect, it seems clear that the press in general made the mistake of assuming a Clinton victory was inevitable, and were setting themselves as credible critics of the next administration."

20 Likes

Not surprising, the corporate media decided a long time ago who they’d side with…

1 Like

I have read elsewhere (in a couple of places…) that Facebook was sanctioned by the Federal government a few years ago about data misuse, and that future instances of misuse would result in a $40,000 fine per occurrence.

So, 50,000,000 x $40,000=$2,000,000,000,000 ($2 Trillion).

Fine them out of existence.

ETA: Link to WaPo article about this:

10 Likes

The WaPo under Bezos has undergone a renaissance, but recall that during the Bush years the NYT, even with Judith Miller, was still a more reliable voice for dissenters than the WaPo. So we don’t just need one good newspaper, but a whole bunch of them, because their objectivity waxes and wanes according to cycles of economic pressure.

20 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available