Discussion: One Of The House's Least Reliable Democrats May Lose His Primary Tuesday

His district includes the Mt. Greenwood Neighborhood of Chicago which is full of city employees who hate the city and went 70% for Trump. (You have to live in the city to work for the city, so if you hate the city and have to live here, Mt. Greenwood is one of the places you live. Edison Park, far NW is the other). They are dems in name, but very very RW in their views. DL is emblematic of them.

BUT Lipinksi’s district includes SW suburbs with many many immigrants from all over including the Middle East. I think it’s the demographics of the district that will sink him more than a challenge from his ideological left.

6 Likes

[Quote] Democrats who have closely monitored the election say it could go either way, but that she has the momentum in a year where the liberal base is furious and activated and being a centrist in a safely Democratic district isn’t exactly a selling point.[/Quote] From his positions described in this article he is solidly on the right on every significant social issue of the day and for some significant economic issues like healthcare as well. So what exactly is centrists about him? The fact that he is willing to to take advantage of his daddy’s connections and work with local Union and Democratic power structures to maintain power? Unless he is to the left of Elizabeth Warren on the remaining economic issues of the day I’m not seeing what non-right wing positions he has taken to counterbalance his stated right-wing positions in this article that would land him in the center.

18 Likes

Hope this dbag gets flattened!

1 Like

ERMAGERD NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS ARE INTARFERING WITH LOCAL ELECTION CHOYCEZ!!!1!!ONE!!2!!WON!!

What? No wave of indignant righteous outrage? No decrying ‘Washington’ (NARAL, Emily’s List, HRC, SEIU, all based in D.C.) interfering? Is that because the victim’s not the more liberal candidate, or is it because the organizations don’t have ‘Democrat’ in the name despite being more or less a lock to favor us over the Republicans?

I mean, I don’t have any problem with them doing this, but I don’t have any problem when the DCCC lets voters know who they favor and why, either.

9 Likes

If Bernie wants to run again, he should run as an Independent. (if he indeed is one). His use of the Democratic party was pretty blatant IMO. He ran as a Democrat to gain the advantages of the party structure and funding…

14 Likes

If it’s the same hand that’s stacking the deck against you, maybe it needs biting.

2 Likes

So If Donald Trump changed his registration back to Democrat in 2020 you’d vote for Donald Trump?

They’re also the main reason we have things at all. I’m no fan of Lipinski and hope Newman kicks his ass. He should’ve been gone a long time ago considering the make up of his district. But it’s foolish to want to purge Blue Dogs who’ll no doubt play a not small part in taking back the House, many statehouses, and maybe even the Senate.

5 Likes

That’s what Bernie Sanders said. But what did he get for his trouble? Accusations of racism, misogyny, being “unwoke” and “mansplaining”. And what did we get? Donald Trump…

1 Like

Hopefully, they elect someone from the democratic wing of the Democratic Party.

4 Likes

No, I’d vote for his primary opponent. And you can bet your ass there’d be one.

8 Likes

What? And show such disloyalty to your Party’s sitting president? Like those who voted for Ted Kennedy in 1980, handing the presidency to Ronald Reagan???

Not a fan of this guy, but this really proves that opposition to the Wall St agenda is the red line, everything else is negotiable for moderate Dems. I don’t see much difference between this guy and Manchin except Manchin is pro Wall St all the way and Lipinski actually votes against the Wall St agenda.

I like the phrase “forced birthers”’

5 Likes

I do too. I’d like to see it become more common because it’s way more apt.

3 Likes

Yep. It’s an analogy that just doesn’t work and never will. PP would never get the Democratic nomination, and therefore could never become president as a Democrat. It’s like asking what one would do if David Duke won the nod. It’s not going to happen.

7 Likes

The D after the name is what matters. It’s one more tick towards a Democratic majority: ALL the committee chairmanships, the speakership, ad most importantly, subpoena and investigative power. This is WAY more important than anythng an individual member does.

MAJORITIES ARE WHAT MATTERS - NOT INDIVIDUALS!!

4 Likes

It is a mistake to run on social issues, but to run on economic issues would force moderate Dems to speak truth to power…and those powers fill their campaign coffers. Even more so when they’re in power.

This is why the Democratic party is just the mirror image of the GOP. Get the base riled up on social issues, each side counter to the other, so that they don’t even pay attention to what’s going on economically. The GOP base has been voting against their own interests for decades as a result, now it’s Dems too.

The wealthiest 1% took home 82% of all wealth created in this country last year. Unsustainable.

Manchin is a Democrat hemmed in by a far-right electorate. Lipinski is a gratuitously rightwing asshole whose presence in the Democratic party is a win for the GOP. Out with the trash.

10 Likes

Lipinski’s electorate is just about as far right on social issues…the diff is Lipinski’s attitude towards Wall St. Manchin is working to undo bank regulations.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available