Discussion: One Of The House's Least Reliable Democrats May Lose His Primary Tuesday

We’re talking real Democrats here, as opposed to opportunists like Lipinsky. Trump isn’t even a Republican. He’s a party of one. He’s the GOP’s Bernie Sanders.

3 Likes

I am a little bothered by Kirsten Gillibrand’s endorsement…

Bernie’s not a real Democrat. He’s a real Independent. In all seriousness though, I think it’s a mistake to run on economic or social issues. It’s best to run on both. You know, the whole “I can see the big picture” thing. As a matter of fact, they should run on education issues as well. And science. And guns/safety. And health. You know, the whole “enchilada” as it were.

3 Likes

You obviously didn’t listen to Hillary during the debates. She actually had policies and achievable goals to improve health-care, and move it in the direction of universal coverage. You didn’t hear he policies and plans for debt-free college. You didn’t hear her policies and plans for moving former coal producing areas towards retraining and being a center of manufacturing renewables. You didn’t hear her plans for child-care help for the middle class.

Of course you didn’t, but you heard Bernie’s wish list, without one single explanation of a policy to achieve any of it.

No, Bernie, and Dems with fake purity tests gave us trump. Some voted for Jill Stein because of her “green” tag. What do you know. Putin backed both Jill and Bernie in addition to Donald.

He knew he couldn’t destroy our country if Hillary won. And he was right about that.

12 Likes

Lipinski is a Republican who pretends to be a Democrat in a safe Democratic seat. He needs to be retired. He only has his job because he is named Lipinski.

3 Likes

We usually do you know. We don’t run on one issue as a rule.

3 Likes

Shame on Nancy Pelosi for endorsing this DINO.

This is not a smart comment.

1 Like

It is a little more complicated than some of the comments seem to suggest. I have no interest in that race and if I could vote in it I’d probably go with the challenger. BUT: the incumbent’s record, while rather conservative for a Democrat, was in 2016 to the left of every single Republican (save two, Reps Comer KY and McCarthy CA) in the House.

So, while he certainly is not a mainstream Democrat, to call him a Republican is ridiculous. It helps to check some data before suggesting that someone should switch parties. https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/report-cards/2016/house/ideology Or, for slightly older, but still relevant data see https://ballotpedia.org/National_Journal_vote_ratings (and there is NO Republican to the left of Lipinski). A 58.5% liberal rating may not be exciting, but it does not make him a Republican by any stretch of imagination.

4 Likes

The first of many intractable demagogues to be ousted in this sea change election cycle…toodle doo mutha fucka…

1 Like

And I have a SCOTUS pick and various odious laws to prove it

3 Likes

I iwsh the media would call Lipinski for what he is. He is not a centrist Democrat, he is a Republican. He is not only opposed to Women’s issues, he is oppesed to nearly everything Democrats stand for, Reasonable Gun Control, Health Insurance, Labor issues, you name it.

3 Likes

I just gave to Marie Newman!

To see details and contribute now, please go to:

1 Like

A perceptive article - thanks for posting. Banging the anti-corporate drum is not a productive strategy for inducing the progressive changes all of us here are trying to bring about.

1 Like

Left from where?

Totally agree. Lipinski should’ve been gone ages ago. He just doesn’t fit the district and there’s no reason for the voters there to settle for someone that doesn’t match their values.

This is also how you move the party to the left. It’s not by challenging the Joe Manchins of the world who are already as liberal as their constituents will allow. But by going after Democrats who are to the right of their constituents. That’s how you move the Overton Window. It doesn’t start with trying to unseat Claire McCaskill, but pushing districts like this one to the left will ultimately push people like Manchin to the left as they try to keep up with their party. If Lipinkski loses tomorrow, how many other Lipinskis will have a coming to Jesus and realize they can no longer afford to buck their constituents either?

7 Likes

The station, man, the station.

2 Likes

Lipinski is NOT moderate. He’s conservative and only remains dem because there is more influence in illinois that way and he can use their party infrastructure.

1 Like

As somebody who since 2012 has lived in Lipinski’s district, it is worse than this article says.

With the last redistricting Lipinski’s district was changed to include several working class suburbs some outside of Cook County. Because of the redistricting from prior years and other factors, these suburban towns, villages and cities were controlled by Republicans. These Republicans use their power to help other Republicans from presidential candidates to local village/township board candidates. Lipinski has gone out of his way to endorse these Republicans and help them hold power in what are now majority Democratic cities, towns and villages. For example in my own city Lipinski endorsed the Republican mayor who always uses his power whenever possible to elect other Republicans.

3 Likes

This decision is up to the Democratic voters of Lipinski’s district. The first and foremost requirement of any member of the Democratic member of the House is that member vote for a Democrat to be Speaker, and that the vote counts. (18 years ago the Democrats had a majority in the PA House of Representatives, but because they could not agree who would be Speaker, a Republican got the job. That was the greatest example of Democratic political malpractice ever until Hillary’s decision not to campaign in Wisconsin.) Social and economic issues come second.,

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available