Discussion: Paul Ryan to American Public: Do Your Patriotic Duty, Have More Kids

This is a favorite ploy of right-wingers like Paul Ryan, blame the poor, working, and middle-classes and call them names like “unpatriotic” for making perfectly rational decisions. If Paul were making a working class salary, I’d like to see him figure out how to pay childcare costs for a 2nd or 3rd child, when he and his wife were working full-time. busting a gut, to pay the bills with just one child. It is the anti-working-people policies of the right: slashing the safety net, bashing unions, reducing support for working families that is one of the main forces driving lower birth rates.
Take a look at the advanced countries of Europe and Asia. There are some frightening cautionary tales. Most of those countries are currently in a low-fertility trap. Because of these countries’ low-birth rates, each generation is smaller than the previous, which means that there are fewer women of reproductive age in each successive generation, who in turn have still fewer children for the next generation. If Paul Ryan were familiar with the extensive demographic research that has been done on the topic, he would know that the very few countries that have been able to avoid the low-fertility trap, like France and the Scandinavian countries, provide robust and comprehensive support for young families, like extended, paid-parental leave for new parents, heavily subsidized childcare, etc. Thank God for immigration or the American economy in the long-term may be doomed to experience a shrinking employment base with an ever-increasing number of the aging to support. Can you say “Japan”?

3 Likes

From today’s Politico hagiography:

Ryan was the man of the hour. Having spent a quarter-century in Washington—as an intern, waiter, junior think-tanker, Hill staffer and, since 1999, as a member of Congress—he had never wavered in his obsession with fixing what he viewed as the nation’s two fundamental weaknesses: its Byzantine tax system and ballooning entitlement state. Now, with House Republicans celebrating the once-in-a-generation achievement of a tax overhaul, Ryan was feeling both jubilant and relieved—and a little bit greedy.

Really? Little Eddie Munster is celebrating because he’s birthed this grotesque Frankenstein of a tax bill? Even stupid little he couldn’t possibly rationalize that this particular bill is the one he wanted all these years. Could he?

Growth of the human population and the human economy equals devastating destruction for all other species.

1 Like

At least he’s not advocating killing old people. Silver lining, right? Oh wait, he wants to gut Social Security and Medicare?

No shit. And a baby born today ain’t gonna solve the current problem. Make all income/earnings, whatever, subject to SS taxation and whatever pays for Medicare.

Gen Y is still number two until the boomers begin dying off in 1, 2,…

1 Like

that was Stalin’s idea - if you had 8 you would get a medal and didn’t have to work in the factory any more. see how happy the russians are now?

1 Like

fewer resources every year, de-regulated dirty water dirty air, environmental destruction,bad job market for the middle classes, cutting education funding, no health care - yes, more kids will solve all of that

1 Like

Was this Ayn Rand’s solution – Breed ???

Yes! Yes! Yes!

And include an enforceable provision that applies that to stock options and other executive compensation as well. If their present value can’t be readily calculated, assign one by formula.

1 Like

When all you’re used to doing is shoveling BS, it’s hard to know when to stop.

But , but , Dickhead is taking HealthCare AWAY from kids .

Gee, if only we knew of how to have more people in our country that are desperate for work and who are committed to having a part of the American Dream…
I am a parent, so give me the benefit of the doubt about what I am about to say, but Americans having more children adds significant demands on government expenses (medical costs, daycare, schools, etc) when compared to the OBVIOUS solution of more welcoming system for immigrants. Immigrants are four times more likely to start a new business than native-born citizens and serve in public service and military roles at a higher rate than native-born citizens. And Paul, they tend to have higher birth rates. (I know that diminishes part of my argument, but whatever).

Wouldn’t having fewer workers force employers to raise their pay? Hopefully enough they would benefit from a tax break?

1 Like

when I look at the brown skies of China, their vast megalopolises covering the land, when I look at the slums of India and their vast wealth inequalities, I always think, yeah, I want to be just like that. These are now the GOP part officials dreams apparently

Mr. Ryan - you have obviously not realized that people cannot afford to have more children. Until you and the rest of the GOP start actually creating laws for basic living wages, better healthcare, and a real jobs bill supported with educational opportunities, your Christian forced breeding plan is abominable! Tell your wife to have another 9 or 10 children and see how well it plays in your own home first before encouraging those who cannot afford it to breed. And BTW, women are NOT cattle to be used by stud males for your agenda, creep! ANOTHER GOP SEX PLAN!

Wonder if this is related to the GOP anti-abortion plank.

Thank you! Why is there is so little mention of unsustainable population growth is entirely beyond me.

I’m no economist, but I read a good explanation recently about why capitalism requires constant growth. As any little kid who has blown up a balloon knows, that will only get you so far.

Of course it is! Have you never heard of trickle-down?

Yep, he did.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available