Discussion: Progressive Newman Concedes To Conservative Rep. Lipinski In Close IL House Primary

“even as she strongly suggested a possible 2020 rematch.”

She probably should.

One that the really bothers me about Jon Ossoff, is his decision not to run against Handel again this year. He spent millions creating name recognition and building grassroots support and organization. Why in the world would you give that up and not capitalize on it immediately?

11 Likes

This article omits the most crucial factor in Lipinski’s close victory: this was an open primary. Republicans who didn’t want to vote for the neo-Nazi voted for Lipinski. Utterly idiotic system.

18 Likes

To me this is a very sad story to wake up to. Wake up call or further confirmation the the Democratic machine that they are right and invincible? Ugh.

This is disturbing for the dems. Lipinski is not a dem in any sense of the word, not socially, not policy wise. Why he calls himself a democrat is a mystery to me. Democrats need to have a standard national platform which includes pro choice. Personally, they can be pro or against abortion/birth control etc…(catholics), but officially they have to be pro choice. Choice is the key word. This guy is/was against many other democratic positions including LGBTQ and Obamacare. He’s not a democrat in any name or form. Democrats have to distinguish themselves from republicans/evangelicals on a few points if they want the support of the more progressives.

2 Likes

Newman will run again in 2020. We need to be as relentless as the Republicans and their enablers. Meanwhile Lipinski will think long and hard before he votes against his party again.

3 Likes

Not necessarily. Not every machine politician escaped this primary. I see the glass as half full, and hope she follows through on a 2020 rematch. Lipinsky will spend the next two years under a microscope…

I think he’s probably arrogant enough not to heed your warning…

4 Likes

His win wasn’t exactly a mandate, and meanwhile this happened in Chicago:

I think the progressive hand wringing needs to stop. The GOP has gone so far to the right that liberal and moderate repubs have left the tent.

To take advantage of this mass defection, Democrats need a bigger tent. We do NOT need to go all purist Bernie Bot at this point. We have a crisis to deal with first. There is a Manchurian candidate in the WH, and the only way to remove him (unless Mueller finds a way to arrest him) is to take the House and Senate this fall and impeach the bastard.

You are not going to turn red areas blue with liberal democrats. And given the fact that the GOP has sold their party’s soul to the devil, ANY Democrat is better than a Republican at this point. Whatever it takes — we need to take the House AND Senate.

3 Likes

This sucks! But one things for sure - he’s toast in 2020. He won’t have the luxury of Republican crossovers then and he knows it.

You’re kidding?! This is reason #2,089,174 why open primaries are completely stupid. If Republican voters really got their shit together they could do this kind of thing all over the country. They could do it in places where there’s a Republican incumbent running unopposed, and help nominate a totally nutty Democrat who doesn’t have a chance in hell of winning the district.

5 Likes

A little nugget I found helpful that Kornacki shared last night is that there are only three Democrats in Congress who aren’t pro-choice. Three. This isn’t a huge problem within the party. This guy is an outlier in every sense of the word.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the Ds in Lipinski’s district didn’t see it that way and any plan to enforce a national political litmus test on candidates is likely to fail – unless you are part of the Republican party. Representatives should represent these governing principles in order: 1) The Constitution and laws of the US, 2) their constituents often mixed opinions, 3) their personal beliefs. Most don’t even try since politicians are people and people look out for their own interests no matter what they might sell to the public.

I disagree. Having seen the GOP throw its force at Emilio Huerta, a tremendous orator and social justice lawyer (son of Dolores Huerta), I can see how one might lose their appetite for running ever. He received very little backup even as the DCCC was throwing money at the Issa race and other races in California. Indeed, it looks like Valadao, McCarthy and Nunes are all on track for reelection even with the Blue Wave expected to swamp everything else.

I am from Missouri, and if you had a national standard for Democrats, based on California or New York standards, you will only win California and New York. The democrats must understand that candidates must follow the issues of their district. Alabama and PA showed that if the Democrats show their support for local issues, they can win, but not if every Democrat must pass a liberal litmus test, they will lose. All the Republicans have to show is Pelosi’s face with your standards rolling on the TV screen and the Republicans will laugh all the way to Congress.

2 Likes

He is a Democrat in name and that gives Democrats one more vote for a majority in the House.
Take what you’re given and try again next time.

1 Like

I’m from KY, so you’ve either misunderstood my point or gotten me grossly confused with someone else if you think I support this party purity nonsense. I want Democratic asses in seats. If that means the hearts and minds attached to some of those asses are too the right of me on some issues then so be it. You can’t run a true liberal in every district, but it’s a shame that a truly liberal district couldn’t nominate a true liberal.

4 Likes

Can’t be said often enough.

When I lived in Pennsylvania, you could change parties, but had to sit out one primary before you could vote in you new party. Made complete sense.

She lost “despite,” not “in spite.”

It is not at all clear that it was Ds who elected Lipinski. It was almost certainly Rs in a stupid open primary.

1 Like

You are wrong about this, in every conceivable respect.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available