Discussion: Rep. Schiff ‘Worried’ GOP Plans To Shut Down House Intel’s Russia Probe

Do we know that? Carpenters are pretty nomadic.

4 Likes

Replacing the French monarchy with ideological totalitarianism and his own reign of terror didn’t make for much of a cure.

That’s like taking a rusty chainsaw to a gangrene limb and getting incapacitated from the lockjaw.

2 Likes

Could they be anymore shameless? What “natural boundary” is he referencing?

3 Likes

My guess is money. Ye ole fiscal boundary.

Pure nature.

Yes I really don’t think any comparisons to a basically failed revolution are helpful myself. Except the guillotine, it has a certain appeal.

Otherwise, no. It might as well have been in Argentina or Venezuela seeing as how it ended like they almost all do except ours - with a dictator who tried to take over the world.

Thanks but no. We need a revolution but it needs to be American style - and we do it at the ballot box. That’s the deadly weapon our founders put in (some of) our hands (thank heavens we expanded that some.)

10 Likes

The Winter Solstice?
The perihelion of the Earth’s orbit?
The swallows returning to Capistrano?
What friggin’ natural boundary are they talking about?

3 Likes

I flagged the beej sock.

12 Likes

He is if nothing else persistent.

6 Likes

He is. But he’s not nothing else. He has a number of very distinct qualities. :laughing:

5 Likes

He doesn’t even like being president. And while Mary Smith in Paintsville, KY might be so totally cool with the idea of PP being president for life, I can assure you most GOPers in Congress aren’t sure they want him to be their president for the rest of his term. The vast majority of them are putting up with him because their voters support him, and they can’t figure out how to drop him without losing them. And were he to make any moves to try to extend his stay unlawfully, they’ll be right along side Democrats fighting him on it if for no other reason than because they want to be president too someday.

9 Likes

Mueller has them.

3 Likes

I think what you’re seeing here is the impact of Devin Nunes being “cleared” by an ethics committee led by an accused sexual harasser. I also think Josh has it pretty much right that Trump has never stopped obstructing this investigation. He just found a more willing audience in the House Intel committee members.

That said, I think Nunes’ gambit took a blow when the OIG said that no authorization was given to violate agents’ privacy. Those agents may have a claim for privacy violations and this should open up an internal investigation and get a few Trumpers fired.

The political calculus for the GOP appears to be to turn on the blinders to 2018 or bust. That’s why we’re seeing the tax bill and a push against the House investigation. There is an attempt to strangle the House investigation, but I think it will politically backfire. They will not be able to fire Mueller without creating a constitutional crisis. Trump knows this so he’s trying to create trouble where he can.

15 Likes

The attack on McCabe seems to be a revenge ploy because Trump is obsessed that his wife gave money to Terry McAuliffe’s campaign for governor. I don’t think he can be fired because he is a career employee. They may be able to reassign him, but even that will be a political hot potato. The Trumpers’ hand is a lot weaker than their huffing and puffing shows.

9 Likes

I love you - it always is and yet people on the left always fall for it and get apocalyptic.

If the rule of law was no longer in effect, Congress would just shut Mueller down and either not tell us why or start making excuses after the fact.

IF it was a real dictatorship there never would have been a Mueller in the first place.

The Turmps are fixing to (I always swore I’d never use that southern phrase but) find out that nobody is above the law in America and that means NOBODY.

8 Likes

Trump better hope Mueller doesn’t get a sense of this, because I suspect his response will be to immediately present to the Grand Jury and move to an indictment on whatever charges he thinks most likely to yield a conviction.

1 Like

Tena is in good company. It’s hard work at first. I see what is happening. I plan what I can do. I let it go until it’s time for a step in the plan to be done. I, too, read of lot of Alan Watts during the 80’s while taking care of my mother while she was dying. I think Eckhart Tolle does a good job of helping teach the concept. Plan, then act. Worry doesn’t solve problems, it creates them, like high blood pressure and heart attacks.

My wife and I have condensed it to the past is pain, the future is fear. All I can control is this moment. The better I handle this moment, giving it my full attention, regardless of what the world thinks of it’s importance, I keep my mind clear and my emotions calmer. Then when I need to think, my mind is ready, not full of past fearful of the future.

15 Likes

Would you accept “a pack of mongooses descending on a nest of vipers” instead?

7 Likes

When Nixon attempted a coup against the government of the United States, Bob Dole was on his side, never straying, from start to finish.

Despite that, just months after Nixon resigned, Dole was re-elected to the Senate. Two years later he was on the ballot as President Ford’s running mate. Four years after that he was re-elected again to the Senate. Four more years on, he became Senate Majority Leader. He was re-elected to the Senate again and again. In 1996 he was the Republican presidential candidate.

I don’t think we can say that Dole’s support for Nixon’s high crimes and misdemeanors hurt his political career in any way.

1 Like

This is a great piece about McCabe/Wray that was written in August. It is still relevant. It is not too long and provides a good deal of information about how McCabe cannot be fired -civil servant- and how the rank and file might react.

9 Likes

The lovely rank and file who are keeping things running. I feel like I really owe them.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available