Discussion: Republicans Gleeful Over Secured Tax Bill Votes: 'This Is Happening'

The only “trickle-down” economics Trump ever managed was paying those “ladies” in the Moscow hotel room.

20 Likes

21 Likes

I don’t think a southern projection is on the near horizon. There was a sizable upward momentum in the economy before Tump took over which was likely, just due to its own inertia, to continue no matter what Trump and the GOP’ers did. They knew this and you can bet they’ll link that arc to the tax cuts. Just like Trump taking credit for the current economy and stock market…both headed where they are long before he stepped on the scene.

3 Likes

Corker voted against the bill in its original form because it ballooned the deficit. The conference committee makes the tax cuts even bigger and Corker is now on board. GOP Econ 101: We lose money on every sale but we make it up in volume.

12 Likes

It these GOP assholes manage to pass this piece of crap, they have better get ready to be GUTTED in 2018! COMMUNIST BITCHES!!!

4 Likes

I saw that this morning and just gagged.

I look forward to calling all fetuses in the future “blob-o-cells” 'cause I sure as hell ain’t calling it what they want.

4 Likes

“…it’s better in fact to be guilty of manslaughter than of fraud about what is fair and just.”
― Plato, The Republic and Other Works

2 Likes

And the icing on the cake is that Ryan is going to leave after this. Have fun cleaning up the mess; I’m outta here. My loathing for these people sometimes frightens me in its intensity … I hope someone spits in his face when he’s out with his kids and he has to explain why. Yikes.

10 Likes

Funny thing is, if he loses that bet he won’t owe anyone a godamned penny.

7 Likes

I know TPM does it better than other outlets. But could we stop using phrases that implicitly praise this disaster? Calling it a GOP “major legislative achievement” out of the box defines this mess on their terms. Having a majority, they may pass a horrible bill. That is, despite how horrible this bill is, because they have the votes they have had all year, they can vote to pass it. How is that an achievement, much less a major one? Getting out of bed is not an achievement, under normal circumstances; neither is crapping in one.

15 Likes

“Major legislative achievement” does not mutually include good. It’s a neutral comment and the kind most journalists prefer if they’re not writing a hit piece. The article lays out all the ugly in the bill.

1 Like

“Getting out of bed is not an achievement, under normal circumstances; neither is crapping in one.”

How about crapping in your family’s beds and then saying it’s their Christmas present? No, not an achievement exactly but certainly a rare feat.

(And by the way this is an AP article, not one authored by TPM.)

3 Likes

This tidbit from the WaPo article:

In some instances, the analysts were given alternative phrases. Instead of “science-based” or ­“evidence-based,” the suggested phrase is “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes,” the person said.

(Emphasis mine)

As any fluent speaker of Bureaucratese will tell you, what this means is “we might use some science, unless it’s politically inconvenient”.

And if wishes were fishes…

4 Likes

Also, their community standards invariably mean the standards of the non-fact-based community. That was my interpretation.

1 Like

‘Shit Happens’ as the kids used to say. And shit did happen when Reagan tried this in '81 with the '81 Tax Act. The national debt tripled for starters and the savings to corporate America wound up in tax shelters, not investments for the future. And for 5 yrs the economy limped along at about 2%. Reagan got serious in '86 with the Tax Reform Act, closing business loopholes, limiting tax shelters, etc, and the economy improved.

This whole thing will blowup in Trump’s face. It’s far more radical than Reagan’s attempt to feed the rich. And it wont take long. Opportunity knocks.

6 Likes

Nothing like a picture of a gleeful Paul Ryan to spoil one’s Saturday.

8 Likes

GOP redefining of “Politically Correct” - banning words.

1 Like

Nothing like a picture of a gleeful Paul Ryan to spoil one’s Saturday.

Let’s wipe the smile off his face. Ain’t gonna ruin my day.

4 Likes

Of course!
These crooks just gave themselves millions.
Why won’t they be thrilled
They love screwing the rest of us and damaging the country.
That’s what Republicans are all about.

Simple. Bad math.

They don’t care! Repeat. They don’t care.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available