Discussion: Republicans Gleeful Over Secured Tax Bill Votes: 'This Is Happening'

At least Charles Dickens’ Scrooge has a change of heart at the end of the story. The GOP gang of thieving Scrooges will go home saying, “Happy Taxmas!” to their wealthy donors and give out stockings filled with coal to low and middle income Americans. Remind me again who takes Christ out of Christmas.

3 Likes

It’s legislatively easy. A Democratic Congress passes a bill to repeal this tax act and a Democratic president signs it into law.

It’s a very different political animal but it may be doable if the tax act explodes the deficit without producing any of the promised benefits to anybody other than businesses and the already wealthy.

3 Likes

The order is in: Expunge all Oldspeak, which is henceforth banned from official documents. Replace with Newspeak. What’s next? Arresting anyone, anywhere who uses Oldspeak? Winston, I think we’re almost there.

4 Likes

This is so…sad. Its like watching the last days of a political regime, in power too long and not understanding that their time has moved on. A victim of their own abhorrent dickishness. Soon, they will be swept from power (I know I know, a lot can happen…and yes, that worries me. A lot.) and all these changes, or at least some of them, because there are plenty of left leaning politicians in the pockets of the rich, will be overturned.

1 Like

This tax bill is gonna saddle us with massive debt in any case and it’s added to the debt we already have… Nobody really knows how much debt this bill will cause but it won’t be debt free.

1 Like

Capitol janitors may want to look into the plumbing considering what occurred at the EPA yesterday… Irony is not in the federal vocabulary…

(source was Daily Kos via screen grab)

4 Likes

Yes, it will, but debt isn’t the big boogeyman the right makes it out to be.
America’s economy can handle the debt load, and we have to stop allowing the right to cast all debt as bad.
The interest cost of our long-term debt is very low, and poses no threat to the health of the nation.

2 Likes

The real issue is they are going to cut other programs because of said debt.

2 Likes

No, they are going to cut programs because they have cut the government’s income.
It’s part of their demonization of the debt.

4 Likes

They just want all the poor people to die because they remind Paul Ryan that he wasn’t born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Just like Ayn Rand

2 Likes

Plot twist on Stranger Things?

3 Likes

Corker was all in for getting rid of the American car industry because I believe he has Volkswagen and Toyota in his state. He’s a clown.

5 Likes

“This is happening. Tax reform under Republican control of Washington is happening,” House Speaker Paul Ryan of Wisconsin told rank-and-file members in a conference call Friday. “Most critics out there didn’t think it could happen. … And now we’re on the doorstep of something truly historic.”

k

3 Likes

Here’s why Corker is now supporting the tax bill when he voted against the Senate version originally and has been on record as opposing it: Rex Tillerson. He’ll be fired sooner than later and Corker was on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He’s got his eye on that prize so must please the orange thing.

@rickjones @metaghost

6 Likes

I wonder who will be buying up US debt in the coming years.

/s

4 Likes

Here’s what I want to see, TPM. A blueprint of what the GOP is promising; how many jobs year 1, how many jobs year 2; how much lower taxes to middle class year 1, year 2, how much repatriated money year 1, year 2. And then a monthly scorecard on how well it’s working. I want the press microscope to NEVER STOP SCORING this bill.

3 Likes

Stephen Ohlemacher and Marcy Gordon:

The legislation would lower taxes on the richest Americans. Benefits for most other taxpayers would be smaller.

You are comparing a massive giveaway to a serious financial blow, and all you can say is that one is smaller? You are fucking idiots.

3 Likes

It is a major legislative achievement to get all the R legislators on board. It’s a fucking awful piece of legislation, but passing it does qualify as “major.”

2 Likes

If you haven’t read Jo Walton’s recent trilogy about Plato’s Republic brought to life, I highly recommend it. She’s a great writer with a great mind. The first novel is called The Philospher Kings.

This piece of shit MUST GO!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available