Discussion: Senate Intel Committee: Feds Dropped The Ball On Election Cybersecurity In '16

Have they completed the Senate investigation of the Y2K calamity about to befall us yet? I am anxious to hear their findings.

I guess these are a necessary part of our democracy, but can anybody point me to one that did anything more than muddy the water and come out a year after the damage had been done? Hard to stop the feeling that we are always fighting the problems of the last decade. I used to have to work on policies and procedures for a hospital, and it was one of those inevitabilities of life that we ended up with big piles of thick binders that nobody read. I am not faulting the intentions, but the results and subsequent actions (if any) always feel underwhelming.

2 Likes

And the current administration’s efforts to prevent meddling? Zilch.

2 Likes

The article ignores the most critical recommendation, namely paper ballots and statistically sound post election audits. This combination can protect us against attacks from Russia or anyone else. Please, TPM, pay attention to the need for paper ballots throughout the country.

5 Likes

…and what? You all ‘dropped the ball’ but hey…you’re BUSY??? WTF? At least you weren’t up there screaming ‘no collusion, no collusion’ like the House was…baby steps, I guess.

1 Like

So before the election, red states didn’t want to listen to democrats in washington, and after the election, people in washington were perfectly happy with the status quo?

1 Like

But no word on Mitch McConnell’s obstruction of, and refusal to co-operate with, President Obama’s attempts to get the word out about Russian interference?

Vichy Republicans, co-conspirators and collaborators all.

2 Likes

According to Collins, even eight months after the 2016 elections, in June 2017, no chief elections officials at the state level had a security clearance.

Yeah, not sure why State Elections Officials would NEED a security clearance to be informed about issues. They don’t need to know how the intel was collected, but they damned sure need to know the potential impact and what, if anything, can be done to combat it.

Of course, “No Security Clearances” is also a great way to keep people that need to know something from investigating the people that allegedly did know…so, maybe that’s a feature, rather than a bug???

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available