Discussion: Six Flags Park In Texas Replaces 5 Flags With Stars And Stripes

I guess there won’t be a “Hall of Confederate Presidents, all one of them”.“Or ride the Andersonville coaster!”
“Take your chances at the John Wilkes Booth!”

4 Likes

There aren’t always easy answers to the question of how to handle historically significant symbols that also have (or have acquired) objectionable meanings. I saw this up close and personal, growing up in Germany. Just one example: suppose that a museum restores and displays a German WW2 warplane. The historically accurate markings include a swastika on the tail. The swastika is illegal to display. Now what?

1 Like

I’ve learned more today about Six Flags than I’ve ever known.

5 Likes

I stand corrected.

To the extent there was an official end, it was when Edmund Kirby Smith surrendered the last significant Confederate field army (which wasn’t much of an army because it was spread all over the western half of the CSA). He signed the surrender in Galveston on June 2, 1865 and then rushed off to catch a ship to Cuba.

So, yeah, it was this one:

4 Likes

“Welcome to Six Flags! Here we celebrate the United States, Mexico, Spain, Texas, and the murderous rebellion against our very nation 150 years ago! Yee-haw!”

1 Like

I think that Six Flags did the right thing. They probably don’t want to worry about protestors and their insurance going up.

3 Likes

That flag, incidentally, is the one that’s actually called the Stars and Bars. I don’t get why people keep calling the “Dixie” battle flag that when it doesn’t have any fucking bars on it.

3 Likes

The CSA national flag is the Stars & Bars.

Notice: bars

no bars:

4 Likes

Another example of losing our history!

2 Likes

And…for what it’s worth…the park was originally divided into different themed areas…the South had a big auditorium with an antibellum facade.

3 Likes

IT was the 6 different flags that have flown over the state and each section of the park was themed to a flag.

I used to love the Mexico section -

3 Likes

Remember riding the sombreros…and the Magneto House?

ETA…OK…it was Casa Magnetica…

2 Likes

That was my fave and now I know why they did that. Abobe houses are usually not level anywhere and actually act like that at times.

To be honest I don’t even remember the Confederate section, I asked my husband all he remembered were food stands. It think that was about it - food and a performance hall.

1 Like

Yep…the performance hall…(Southern Palace") and fried chicken vendor and some girls in hoop skirts in the early days.

2 Likes

That’s all I can remember too. It’s been a very long time since I was there…

Because of the name of the park.

Texas has been under the flags of 6 different nations—hence the name of the park.

This is an overreaction that denies the history of the state.

1 Like

It was pretty benign really…as Tena and I have been discussing above…the “Southern” part of the park did not really focus on the “glory” of old Dixie. I think in the early years, some of the park characters in the area were boys in grey, but that was short lived.

They did not have Lee and Jeff Davis Cosplay characters.

3 Likes

I don’t remember any boys in gray.

I do remember all the boys who cos-played the Indian canoe rowers - they were shirtless and usually the best looking guys they could hire.

hahahahahaha

Yesss…all the well delivered terrible puns. I loved Casa Magnetica…and the Spee-Lunkers Cave…and the old LaSalle’s boat ride…

1 Like

I loved the LaSalle riverboat ride too and the Spelunker’s cave = it was cool in there for one thing. I think one of the last times I went I rode the Spelunker’s 10 times to get out of the heat.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available