Discussion: Six Flags Park In Texas Replaces 5 Flags With Stars And Stripes

While Six Flags has expanded nationwide over the years, the original park was Six Flags over Texas and the flags represented the six nations that had ruled over parts of Texas during its history. The Confederacy was one of those entities.

3 Likes

Including the Confederate flag as a “national flag” is saying the Confederacy was a legitimate state. Never recognized by the US or any other country.

4 Likes

Actually in this case I always considered a fun fact, reflecting the complicated history of Texas and it’s six flags, It’s not like they were flying the Mexican & French flag just as an excuse to fly the Confederate flag as well. I was fine with the confederate flag in this particular case.

That said who wants to take bets that Trump is going to go on a twitter storm over this on the weekend. Specially if he hears funny noises coming from Jared and Ivanka’s bedroom.

5 Likes

I think you are right. Had anybody complained?

Well, gee-whiz! If things keep going like this, those white-supremacist, KKK, Nazi-loving, un-American scumbags won’t be welcome anywhere in this entire country! What’s a racist dickhead to do?!

2 Likes

They have the Confederate national flag at the state house as well, in the circle under the dome of the six flags that have flown over the state. But they don’t fly the stars and bars.

4 Likes

Shrug: These were the 6 flags that they used to fly. The traditional confederate flag was not one of them. Actually come to think of it, flying the Mexican flag probably gave the racist types more heartburn than anything else.

Six Flags photo

4 Likes

I’m sure they had some complaints. The article says that of the 20 parks, only those in Texas and Georgia flew the six flags. Like @mondfledermaus said, for those of us in Texas, it was just part of the unique history of Texas.

The big controversy in Texas is not a desire to return to the Confederacy; that’s no big deal here. It’s the people who want to return to the Republic of Texas…

7 Likes

The First Nations people who lived in Texas for far longer than any of the six nations represented may not have had flags, but there should be some symbol to represent them.

Actually, the Confederate flag here as a neutral statement of historical fact is far less objectionable than a statue, which is clearly designed to honor the person and the cause.

6 Likes

I cannot WAIT to hear what the excuses will be from the Hyper-Patriots about how UNAMERICAN it is to fly six AMERICAN FLAGS.

That is some Gold-Plated, Diamond-Studded, Cognitive Dissonance there…

3 Likes

This became the flag on July 4, 1865. I can’t find any source that declares an official end of the Confederacy, but Lee had surrendered and Davis was captured before July 4, so I prefer the 35 star flag.

1 Like

I guess there won’t be a “Hall of Confederate Presidents, all one of them”.“Or ride the Andersonville coaster!”
“Take your chances at the John Wilkes Booth!”

4 Likes

There aren’t always easy answers to the question of how to handle historically significant symbols that also have (or have acquired) objectionable meanings. I saw this up close and personal, growing up in Germany. Just one example: suppose that a museum restores and displays a German WW2 warplane. The historically accurate markings include a swastika on the tail. The swastika is illegal to display. Now what?

1 Like

I’ve learned more today about Six Flags than I’ve ever known.

5 Likes

I stand corrected.

To the extent there was an official end, it was when Edmund Kirby Smith surrendered the last significant Confederate field army (which wasn’t much of an army because it was spread all over the western half of the CSA). He signed the surrender in Galveston on June 2, 1865 and then rushed off to catch a ship to Cuba.

So, yeah, it was this one:

4 Likes

“Welcome to Six Flags! Here we celebrate the United States, Mexico, Spain, Texas, and the murderous rebellion against our very nation 150 years ago! Yee-haw!”

1 Like

I think that Six Flags did the right thing. They probably don’t want to worry about protestors and their insurance going up.

3 Likes

That flag, incidentally, is the one that’s actually called the Stars and Bars. I don’t get why people keep calling the “Dixie” battle flag that when it doesn’t have any fucking bars on it.

3 Likes

The CSA national flag is the Stars & Bars.

Notice: bars

no bars:

4 Likes

Another example of losing our history!

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available