Discussion: Study: 23 Percent Of Trump Supporters Show Skepticism Of Democracy

Just read to them from our founding documents. Always sounds like liberal propaganda to them.

8 Likes

So, we’re talking about 23% of 26% of the population.

Ok.

6 Likes

That was my first thought, exactly.

It’s been reported that Bannon and his band of discontents actually did numerous focus groups to test out these theories and memes well before the 2016 election. Authoritarianism scored very well with their focus groups as did something referred to as ‘realistic racism.’ I can only surmise the latter was geared towards the fear of that segment of whites worried about being overrun by POC economically and socially.

Memes of 'drain the swamp, build the wall, only I can solve the problem, etc. received very positive reactions.

Whatever works, I guess.

Anecdotally, while waiting for our plane last week, my husband and I sat near a group of people(older white folks) repeating the ‘drain the swamp’ meme in relationship to the Tillerson firing. My husband and I had been reading the headlines off our phones, making less than attractive comments (I thought quietly) about the Trumpster. The woman sitting next to me bolted up, saying to her friends that she needed to sit in more friendly territory.

This dangerous, demoralizing nonsense still has considerable power with some people, the true diehards. Makes me wonder if any revelation will change their minds or outlook. Can’t get my head around how people get this twisted.

6 Likes

That makes me feel a tiny bit better. But as someone who lives about 5 months of the year in a country that has lost its democracy (such as it was), I just want to slap these assholes upside the head and explain to them how many people in the world would cherish the opportunity to live in a democratic society. But that would just be a waste of my time.

3 Likes

You and me both but I’d like to slap a lot of people upside the head right now. The Russians worked to divide us and it worked -we fought with each other during the entire campaign and beyond.

3 Likes

This result stems from ignorance. For example, in many venues people have asked an audience whether freedom of speech can be suspended if a majority of people vote for that. After all, in a democracy, the majority rules, right? Then one can point out that the Bill of Rights says that a majority cannot do that, reflecting the wisdom of the founding fathers, etc. Taking this approach very educational for the ill-informed, and it can be modified to educate those who don’t understand how our democracy was set up.

Yeah, well, there’s still deluded drunks in Russia who long for Communism’s return.

2 Likes

Exactly.

You can always find people who are wacky enough to say they love some dictator and some dictatorial regime.

I would venture to say 23% of Trump supporters don’t understand Democracy.

4 Likes

He loves him some uneducated voters. I’m sure you’re right.

1 Like

Great comment

1 Like

.23 x .35 = .08. Just saying.

2 Likes

I love that kind of just sayin.

Yep.

And built the boncentration bamps.

1 Like

I’m surprised that “democracy is not always preferable” is only at 13% among Clinton voters, second-lowest of primary candidate supporters and lower than Sanders supporters (18%). I didn’t used to think so, but after 2016 I’m starting to come around to that position.

As an aside, it’s interesting that (at least for 2016) among Republicans, those who supported a strong leader more were also more skeptical of democracy (except for Kasich, notably the least conservative), while among Democrats they were inversely correlated. Also kind of weird that people who said they didn’t vote are on the high end but within the range, but both stats are off the charts for people who “don’t recall” who they voted for.

1 Like

Time to sing!

“It’s a Trump world after all”
“It’s a Trumped up world”

45’s not a strong leader, but has played one on TV.

Oligarchies. The movement’s called The Dark Enlightenment. Synopsis here. Peter Thiel’s supporting this financially. They’re organized into cells, which implies that this may not be an entirely peaceful (or at least not entirely legal) operation.

2 Likes

I can guarantee that if they got what they wanted, they wouldn’t like it.

6 Likes

Exactly. They imagine themselves as lords of the universe, but they will find reality is not quite the same as the video game.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available