Discussion: The End Of Abortion As We Know It: How Roe v. Wade Will Be Dismantled

This isn’t about a medical procedure. That’s a red herring.

It’s about a bunch of dogmatic, Catholic ideologues insisting everyone accept their religious opinion that life begins at conception.

And about a conservative movement seeking to establish a government that does not derive its power from the consent of the governed, but one whose power is self-justified by simply having power to declare whatever it wants. What or who is a person?

Government can’t create people out of thin air any more than it can declare races of people inhuman.

That’s why the organization could simply fund women to relocate themselves. Can a state bar any person from moving away because they don’t like where they live? Doesn’t sound constitutional to me. Can the state of Slobovia bar a person from moving to a state with more rational laws than those of Slobovia? Must a person have a “legal” motive before relocation is permissible?

Um, most American Christians are Protestants and regardless of the Catholic heirarchy proportionally more Catholics are pro-choice (a majority, actually) than Protestants.

1 Like

It is with DEEP side-eye that I respond to The NY, Times, Bernie Sanders, Jill Stein, Andrea Fucking Mitchell, Chris Hayes, Lawrence O’Donnell, Anderson Cooper and the rest of the media who raked Hillary over hot coals and created sui generis the media narrative of “Hillary is as awful as Trump” we are enjoying now!

3 Likes

He was one of the WORST OFFENDERS! He had Comrade Bernie and Light-Fingered Jane Sanders on and slobbered all over them ALL the time!

1 Like

Good to know. Love the light-fingered reference. She was/ is a real problem.

1 Like

@philmore. You miss the point. It was fear of Communism that drove even the conservatives toward moderation.

It was fear of Communist Revolution finding a home here in the US that drove the corporate leaders, the courts, even Republicans like Eisenhower to accept unions, and FDR’s welfare state.

This in no way diminishes the achievements of the Trade Unions, or Civil Rights movement, but without a ruling class open to reason, it would have gone nowhere.

It all changed with the collapse of the USSR. We are now facing a ruling class who, feeling no countervailing force, has nothing to fear, and so has no willingness to bargain, and has little need for reason.

They simply want all the money and control. Sound crazy? They are. They’re betting the habitable climate of planet Earth on being able to suck up a few more bucks.

Your stock answer is “missing the point” when in fact you don’t know much about history. Unions were accepted a generation before Brown v. Board of Education. The notion of a Communist revolution here is ludicrous.

It’s my policy to not feed trolls.

Psychologists call this projection. The Soviet Union and Brown v. Board of Education - together at last! But you call me a troll. Figures. Go learn some history, son.

You aren’t a citizen until you are born.

Wait till the personhood rules interact with the census and apportionment…

Ending Roe vs. Wade may be a temporary victory for the Dominionist. But in the long term consider the following:

1. The RWNJ will loose a political fundraising issue (NRA, now what?)
  2. The Left will be energized.
  3. Making abortion illegal will no sooner prevent it then outlawing booze. It will encourage illegal activities however.

So my question to these would be Sons of Jacob is: What line of B*llshit will you spew when confronted by the next Savita Halappanavar or Gerri Santoro?

I would add that many stable republics have supreme courts with much more than 9 members. Denmark has 20. Finland is complicated with two courts with 18 or about 25 depending on the type of law. Italy has 15. The UK has 12. Venezuela however has either 5 or 7 in each of its six “chambers” of its Supreme Court, each dealing with a different area of law, so it seems that banana republic might be the one with the power concentrated in the hands of too few, not dispersed among too many.
At the end of the day I don’t take satisfaction seeing anyone suffer, especially not my countrymen, no matter how much I may disagree with them. We make better choices when we counsel together and when we listen and when politics and pressures of reelections are removed. More diversity, more voices, more educated viewpoints, less pressure to please the public, more attention to the law and the principles it was intended to serve, less corruption to serve a specific party or ideology; that is what is needed.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available