Discussion: Trump Admin Bans CDC From Using Words Like 'Science-Based,' 'Diversity'

“In my experience, we’ve never had any pushback from an ideological standpoint,” said the analyst.

Had you been paying attention, you may have seen this coming. Besides, nobody escapes the Trump stink.

7 Likes

I’d like to know how this kind of shit is enforced.

11 Likes

Waterboarding & Termination.

6 Likes

They should probably ban Orwell / Orwellian as well before some scientist sneaks it into one of their papers.

2 Likes

I had the same reaction when I first read this. However, it’s so crazy my first thought was that something didn’t seem right.

There is an alternate read here. It’s STILL crazy but not in the way you’d think.

This is the BUDGET document that goes before Congress/Administration to approve the budget.

Is is possible this is the folks at the CDC trying to be clever?

“OK let’s just take out all the words that freak out the toadies and replace them with words they like. This way we get to do what we want and avoid a bunch of drama and grandstanding.”

In other words, this is about framing what they are going to do, not changing the actual work.

If you read the article carefully it seems to conflate two things:

The Trump administration is prohibiting officials at the nation’s top public health agency from using a list of seven words or phrases — including “fetus” and “transgender” — in official documents being prepared for next year’s budget.

Then later:

At the CDC, the meeting about the banned words was led by Alison Kelly, a senior leader in the agency’s Office of Financial Services, according to the CDC analyst, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak publicly. Kelly did not say why the words are being banned, according to the analyst, and told the group that she was merely relaying the information.

What the article does NOT say is “crazy people in the Administration ordered them not to use these words.”

I realize that the CDC was banned from doing gun research so this smells familiar but I think this might be the press getting caught in the budget author’s game.

2 Likes

la la la la la, Trump’s got his ears (and brain) plugged, so these things don’t exist, la la la la la

2 Likes

How do they know a scientist uttered a forbidden word?

1 Like

So the Government can’t say that there is an EVIDENCE-BASED and SCIENCE-BASED ENTITLEMENT for abortion bans to ensure VULNERABLE FETUSes help human DIVERSITY and fight back against the threat of TRANSGENDERS?

Sad! Now Trump is fighting against his own evangelicals!

2 Likes

The United States government is banning words.

Let that sink in.

h/t Lou Conlon‏ @LouC17 via Twitter

17 Likes

No. The first line of the article, which you quote yourself, says the Trump administration is banning the words. There is nothing anywhere to suggest the impetus for this came from within the CDC, and logic and common sense say that’s absurd.

5 Likes

There’s yet another alternate reading of the order.

In the spirit of “don’t attribute to malice what can just as easily be attributed to stupidity,” we could posit yet another alternate reading - that, rather than banning those words for Orwellian ideological propaganda purposes, the administration is banning them simply because Trump is too dumb to understand them.

But, to be honest, we’re talking about Republicans here, and in my experience it is always best to attribute their actions to both stupidity and malice.

11 Likes

It is not so easy to remove a federal employee without cause. I don’t imagine refusing to conform to censorship will hold up in court.

7 Likes

That’s only because there’s already a ban on obvious redundancy.

3 Likes

I, for one, don’t know what you would call something that is no longer an embryo but not yet through the birth canal.

1 Like

According to Trump’s Razor: “ascertain the stupidest possible scenario that can be reconciled with the available facts” and that answer is likely correct.
— Josh Marshall

Still yet to be disproven.

Fundamentalists refer to them by the highly technical biological term the “unborn.”

8 Likes

Trump will huff and puff and blow on twitter and threaten someone somewhere with something because he’s a big fucking baby.

4 Likes

As far as I can tell that’s the extent of their ability to actually enforce this crap. You cannot tell Americans what words they can use outside of a legal argument over what’s obscene.

3 Likes

Coming soon from the CDC – a groundbreaking new weight loss technique!

14 Likes

12 Likes

REPOST

Don’t forget the McDonald’s® MAGA Meal™

+ + + +

“Part of a healthy diet.”
— American Society for Nutrition

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available