Discussion: Trump Admin Bans CDC From Using Words Like 'Science-Based,' 'Diversity'

This is exactly the sort of tyrannical shit we fought a revolution about. Freedom of speech cannot be ordered or regulated by our government or its elected officials …see amendment one of that document trump swore to uphold and protect.
The second and equally galling aspect isthe shit about diversity and LBGT. The trump people and he himself are going their damnedest to piss me off
:rage: :rage: :rage:

3 Likes

Not me, not anymore

1 Like

According to the Sky Pilot He doesn`t like the word God .

I would ban trump from using
the words
president (in reference to himself)
Tremendous
bigly
believe me
we’ll see
emails
lock her up
and 3 dozen more I can’t recall at the moment

WHERE IS GEORGE CARLIN (and his seven deadly words skit) WHEN WE REALLY NEED HIM???

1 Like

I have 3 words for trump he forgot to ban:

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE

As a retired scientist I feel strongly about this

6 Likes

Someone will come up with replacements and use search and replace to put them in. Hopefully, we won’t, sometime down the road end up with things like “gestating entity,” “verifiably results of high-quality research” or “persons of non-birth gender”.

2 Likes

Already been done…

1 Like

Maybe for trump and his evangelicals but
NOT while I am in the room. And I have 42 peer reviewed journal articles to back that up along with several book chapters.

4 Likes

The next step will be to ban specific words and ideas from research proposals seeking funding by NIH or other government agencies. That thought is terrifying.

1 Like

For example, officials can say “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes” instead of saying a recommendation is “science-based” or “evidence-based.”

Yep. Scientific based evidence is now being replaced with opinion and hopes and wishes.

France will enjoy a golden era of American scientists and engineers who have emigrated abroad to continue ground breaking research. America will be relegated to the 19th C.

1 Like

No need at all for peer-reviewed research when some freaks that barely graduated high school and home school their kids simply BELIEVE that anything else is wrong.

The new director of CDC formerly was the public health director for Georgia. She sounds pretty eccentric–she only answers emails one morning a week and wants to be addressed as “Dr. F”. In her previous job, she accepted donations from Coca Cola to fight obesity. The omission of fetus is interesting given that she is an OB-GYN. CDC is being asked to prepare for a possible 10% cut in positions—the agency was starting to recover from its mismanagement during Bush administration, so this all is pretty unwelcome.

2 Likes

tRump probably wants to replace the terms “scientific-based” and “evidence-based” with “everyone knows that…”

We just slipped a few steps closer to an authoritarian government, and again we can thank the GOP. This is the same party that banned the CDC from doing any research on gun violence.

4 Likes

[quote=“tena, post:17, topic:66432, full:true”]
I’d love to see a wholesale refusal and defiance of this unlawful order.
[/quote]With roles switched, Republicans and RW media would be screaming and sputtering, “B…b…but freedom of speech, First Amendment, censorship!!!” I mean, if they claim violation of First Amendment rights for a goddamn pastry chef making a wedding cake, then it’s certainly a violation - and much worse - for a scientist not to be able to say “science-based” or “evidence-based” for scientific fact that is based on scientific fucking evidence.

4 Likes

I honestly think there is a valid argument there. Don’t civil servants have constitutional rights and isn’t this a prior restraint on lawful speech and in particular on the speech that makes their careers what they are?

I think there is a damn good 1st amendment argument.

3 Likes

This is evidence based information as to why the US is falling behind the rest of the developed world in most scientific and mathematical areas. Were that it was only words, but the assault, from non factual textbooks to the home schooling revolution and graduate degrees from faith based institutions (many of whose graduates serve in our government), the war on science,and intelligence has been going well for quite a long time in this country - this is just one of many logical endpoints.

I remember once when my wife was trying to tell her uncle (an old farmer from Michigan) that his purchase of some ridiculous concoction made from rooster combs and sold as an arthritis cure was not a sound investment, he said, with deep scorn in his voice, “Well, I guess you just know everything, don’t you!” Most of this anti-science stuff seems to be on the same level.

From celebrities condemning vaccinations based on personal beliefs to selling and promoting vaginal steaming with mugwort, scientific ignorance and rejection is not restricted to Republicans or conservatives - it can be found anywhere, from mud huts to bedrooms in Bel Air. I have had more than one liberal friend tell me “big pharma” actually has the “cure for cancer” and is withholding it in the interest of profits. The only difference I can see is that Republicans seem determined to make ignorance into law.

3 Likes

I guess I can assume that ‘faith-based’ and ‘abstinence-based’ are still on the table.

On a separate note, I looked up who is in charge of the CDC and found that it is Brenda Fitzgerald I found this on her wikipedia bio:

While in private practice, Fitzgerald promoted “anti-aging medicines” to
her patients, medicines which have been criticized as being unsupported
by scientific evidence and potentially dangerous.

She apparently has a problem with science that dates back a few years.

2 Likes

note the orange complexion

1 Like

Newspeak. If there is no word in the language for a concept it doesn’t exist. For these jackasses “1984” wasn’t a cautionary tale. It was a how too book.

1 Like

I truly hope that the scientific community pushes back. And I hope the public backlash is so huge that they walk this back. There is absolutely no justification for this censorship. Are they going to erase words out of the dictionary next so we can no longer speak publicly about certain topics?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available