Discussion: Trump Admin Bans CDC From Using Words Like 'Science-Based,' 'Diversity'

You can’t tell them not to use the words, but I strongly suspect someone in the hierarchy can decide not to fund your research if you choose to ignore their directive- at least until it goes to court. And even then, the higher-ups could give another reason for choosing not to fund a project.

3 Likes

This is akin to the Pentagon banning the words bombing mission, targets or firepower. Or removing the named ranks of enlisted personnel.
Yossarian would be proud.

I read some article(s) that employees were outraged and demanded someone’s head on a stick, e.g., (WaPo: "The reaction of people in the meeting was “incredulous,” the analyst said. “It was very much, ‘Are you serious? Are you kidding?’ ”).

However, I believe this affected the policy or PR (?) department guys, as no scientist would use the terms “science-based” or “evidence-based”. They would simply state that the data shows or indicates that x, y, z…, and discuss the relevant peer-reviewed data.

I have more of problem in removal of accepted nouns, such as “fetus” or “transgender”. What is one to do? Call them “things”?. Ridiculous Nazis.

Edit: This is funny (WaPo): HHS spokesman Matt Lloyd told The Washington Post. “HHS also strongly encourages the use of outcome and evidence data in program evaluations and budget decisions.”
Now how is “evidence data” any damn different from “evidenced-based data”? Both terms are ridiculous and redundant.

1 Like
1 Like

Can we start calling them Nazis, yet?

1 Like

now if they could just somehow staff it with “unborn children” I’m sure they would all get along just fine

2 Likes

[quote=“fuzz, post:13, topic:66432”]
I am starting to cheer on the awfulness
[/quote] (this is g’s wife) that’s exactly what I was doing before november 9th last year - I don’t do that anymore

anchor blastocyte?

"“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it. Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings rubbed out and forgotten.”

1984 came 33 years late…

It is well past time for requiring the careful phrasing “a majority of scientists agree” when referring to anthropogenic climate change. A majority of scientists agree that evolution is the mechanism by which homo sapiens came to be, and a majority of scientists also agree that the Earth revolves around the Sun. If a so-called scientist does not agree with any of these things, such a person is not a scientist, and their opinion is irrelevant on any subject. Period.

Oh, no worries. Carlin is up there somewhere having the time of his life with this fodder and recording it for us in multi-dimensional digital format.

Angels are singing, “hallelujah, brother.”

Honestly. This is why Dog gave us synonyms.

I love “gestating entity!”

“Interloper” is good, too.

“Squatter”

1 Like

You go, girl!

Kevin Drum: “I have a List of Replacements for the CDC’s Seven Banned Words”

http://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/

1 Like

Jeez, sorry about the size of that thing.

Keeping Amerika dumb and pregnant!

Run for office- the 2018 elections are less than a year away! And if Trump and Louie Gohmert can get elected what’s to stop a qualified candidate?

Become a Precinct Committee Officer, sometimes it’s a Ward officer. You’ll meet with neighborhood Dems and get out the vote. Find good citizens willing to run for office.

Register people to vote. If you need to help people overcome the GOP-led Voter run-around help them do that.

Run for School Board. Make sure Civics is being properly taught. Think a majority of America knows how government works? Just 26% of eligible voters in America voted for Trump and half of eligible voters stayed home last November. Today’s 12-year olds will be voting for President in 8 years.

Run for Mayor, City Council, County Commissioner, Borough Assembly.

Get appointed to your Planning Commission. Know everything going on in your community.

Run for State Legislature or Congress. The next census is in 2020, just over 2 years from now, when we redraw Congressional Districts.

And get rid of GERRYMANDERING! Safe GOP seats gave us such intellectual giants as Louie Gohmert and Steve King. In most cases it’s the state Legislature that draws Congressional boundaries. Make it FAIR, OPEN and HONEST! We can do this!

Overturn Citizens United. Money is NOT speech and Corporations are NOT people- at least not until Texas executes one, and overturn any voter ID laws that are clearly an attempt to disenfranchise the poor and people of color.

“If you’re disappointed by your elected officials, grab a clipboard, get some signatures, and run for office yourself.”
-President Barack Obama

“Those who would purposely mislead or seek to confuse others are bad people. Worse, they are evil.”
-Kathleen Parker

You Got To Run!

Riiight.

Puppet. Putin’s effin’ Puppet!

They’re gonna try …

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available