Discussion: White Nationalists Are Feeling The Squeeze After Charlottesville Debacle

they all look alike to me…

1 Like

"Insisting he was just “making an observation,” Wiginton invoked a dark precedent: the formation of the Irish Republican Army. “Historically if you look at the IRA, the Irish Republican Army, this is exactly how they were formed,” he said. “They were forced underground because of their views. That’s what America is playing with.”

Being Irish, this guys needs a history lesson (or three). The new IRA were boosted significantly after Bloody Sunday, when innocent people were gunned down by the British Army (opposite of Charlottesville). Then the Real IRA went underground after the peace process started and they disgraced themselves by bombing innocent people in Omagh. What’s left of them are just thugs and drug runners. Some of the IRA leaders became politicians or retired when they realized that peaceful negotiations work better than violence. Ireland is still not united and it’s a fragile peace - but the IRA lost. Just making an observation…

So how’s that going to work in the US exactly, fellas?!

3 Likes

As T Bone Burnett wrote: ‘He had to pay her 50 dollars. And it was 20 for anybody else.’

3 Likes

Comparing yourself to the IRA is pretty fucking stupid on more than one level.

On one level it’s stupid because in that scenario, arguably, the UK are the Nazis. On another level it’s stupid because arguably the militant wing of the NRA were terrorists.

White Supremacy is not the same thing as the desire to see invaders and occupiers thrown out out of a country. But if White Supremacists want to admit they are terrorists - I’m all for it.

1 Like

These guys don’t get that freedom of speech doesn’t equal freedom from consequence.

3 Likes

“If they kick you off because they don’t like the cut of your jib…”

Guy sure has a deep understanding of the situation.

1 Like

White Nationalists Are Feeling The Squeeze After Charlottesville Backlash

That “squeeze” is a warm embrace from Chiselin’ Trump.

We need the address of everyone of these creeps. Why? To stay away from them. Right?

…and an impromptu keynote speaker.

"I’m not advocating that at all, but in a society where you have people that have issues or are angry or something, our First Amendment makes it so they can express those views, come to a forum and discuss and find a solution to those problems.”

OK. But, I think that this has all been done already, and we already found a solution to the problem. The solution is to encourage private conference centers to prohibit hate groups from convening at their facilities.

1 Like

Lin’s original plan for the Vietnam War Memorial did not glorify the fighting. Even with the added bronze statue of infantrymen on patrol, it doesn’t glorify the generals.

The World War II Memorial doesn’t really do anything to glorify the admirals and generals, either.

Unless a bottle of lotion counts a “date”

Well, in the world of chain smoking slut slammers, I’m sure it does.

1 Like

Hate speech isn’t per se unprotected. Incitement to riot, solicitation to commit a particular crime, and so forth are the things that may be punished. No speech can be punished without explication of the context revealing a crime. Now just try to apply that, case by case. Sometimes you gotta hold your nose, and sometimes you gotta excise the stink.
It is almost never possible to ban it in advance. Anyway, the start at Charlottesville was the night before the publicly planned event. That fact alone makes a mockery of the Orange Arschloch’s claim that any of the Friday protestors were fine people. Speech is the bait. Terroristic riots are the switch. We need to be able to shut down the switch without removing the bait.

1 Like

The group that pissed me off the most was the “she had to earn my vote and she didn’t” faction. IMHO, it is the responsibility of the citizenry to research the candidates, understand their policy positions, and choose the one that most aligns with one’s own goals. Hillary had detailed plans for many, many aspirational goals but she wasn’t able to spoon feed them to every single snowflake.

Did she run a perfect campaign? No. Was she a perfect candidate? No, but damn close in my view.

And now we’re on this shit highway with no off ramp in sight.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, per se, but I think you don’t credit the length of time this simmered.

The reach of right wing media has continuously expanded, and over time the message has become more explicit and harder right. But there has been a white supremacist core for a very long time.
I recall a friend telling me that during a substitute teaching gig, one of his 12 year old students showed his KKK card.
In 1992.
In Massachusetts.

Those underground mtgs aren’t going to be nearly as much fun without their Nazi pump up music

They can always bring their 8-tracks.

1 Like

we really underestimated how much people dislike and distrust women - right and left - 1,000 likes spencermom

2 Likes

It must really hurt when they try to throw a Civil War and no one shows up.
All those flags and costumes they wasted their money on when they could have paid a dentist.

LOL - look at you! Part of the problem. I heard the “lefties” decrying racism and the death of justice every time a black person was shot by a fascist cop. Where was your head when all that was going on? I bet I know. From the words in your post one would more reasonably ask where “whatever identitarian group you are” has been hiding since Trayvon Martin was murdered in 2012? I bet I know.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available