Discussion: Flake: If Trump Fires Mueller, Only Remedy Is 'Through Impeachment'

“DO NOT CONGRATULATE” in all caps in the briefing materials.

Maybe they should just set out a jar of library paste laced with Ambien for him every morning and give us all a break.

12 Likes

O my god!

@ncsteve - Of course he didn’t. I like the paste idea a lot.

1 Like

I’m not convinced he deserves two scoops.

1 Like

Sure. I think the reaction to Flake that you see here is mostly not what you’d see from the same people in the real world. Part of what goes on here is an endless and not entirely unnecessary adjusting of expectations.

Even his instinct for self-preservation is failing him.

1 Like

I’m not sure who you mean from “the same people in the real world” but that doesn’t matter. It wasn’t said for that reason, I don’t think.

I’m aware that there is a bias in the conversation on all political boards. I find this one less fanatic than any others, and better informed in general. I’m aware of the bubble effect. But that’s not important in assessing what the point of Flake’s and Graham’s statements might mean.

2 Likes

Certainly, there are some differences, but generally it seems like the process is quite similar. From the wikipedia article on the Saturday Night Massacre:

The appointment [of the special prosecutor] was created as a career reserved position in the Justice department, meaning it came under the authority of the attorney general who could only remove the special prosecutor “for cause”, e.g., gross improprieties or malfeasance in office.

1 Like

Wasn’t talking about the “bubble effect.”

One thing people are here to do is vent. The same people, if they were to meet Flake in an airplane, say, would more than likely want, and be able, to have a substantive conversation with him.

My guess.

1 Like

So says the man who isn’t going to partake of those impeachment proceedings. Get lost, Jeff

1 Like

And again from the wikipedia article on Saturday Night Masacre:

Nixon ordered Attorney General Richardson to fire Cox. Richardson refused and resigned in protest. Nixon then ordered Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelshaus to fire Cox. Ruckelshaus also refused and resigned. Nixon then ordered the Solicitor General of the United States, Robert Bork, as acting head of the Justice Department, to fire Cox. … Bork wrote the letter firing Cox

Compared to the factcheck.org article on how trump might go about trying to fire Mr. Mueller:

He [trump] could call on Rosenstein to [fire Mr. Mueller], but if Rosenstein concluded there was no “good cause” to fire Mueller, he could refuse. … Trump could keep firing people until he got someone to follow through on an order to fire Mueller.

2 Likes

The number of devices is beginning to make me think it is a group and not a solo individual.

1 Like

That says it all :smiley:

1 Like

Seriously. How can he say, “Congress cannot preempt such a firing”? It clearly can, but it chooses not to.

3 Likes

Ah. Well that’s a good guess.

I noticed that, too.

1 Like

If he could. I’m still not convinced that he could unless he suddenly had Stephen Miller put into the DOJ.

2 Likes

Good suggestion. A less extreme one would be that a journalist ask him to say something–anything–critical of Putin, just as a test. Can you tell us something bad about Putin Mr. President? He wouldn’t be able to do it. He is utterly, completely controlled.

4 Likes

“Why, yes, he’s too modest.”

1 Like

“And sometimes He’s too nice to me. I know I don’t deserve it but He gives me a break anyway.”

1 Like

Sure, on his way out the door…

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available