Discussion: Gov't: Butina An ‘Extreme Flight Risk’ Who Was In Contact With Russian Intel

I read this document and it’s every stereotypical spy novel/movies/show you ever thought of and more.

First, let’s face facts. Maria Butina is a spy. Those in the US media who initially downplayed her status can eat a can of stfu right about now. She also uses offers sex as part of her craft. We have words for this in the English language which I will refrain from using, but you get my drift.

Second, there is no way to read this motion for pre-trial detention and not reach the conclusion that Paul Erickson (US Person 1) is a co-conspirator who should be indicted for the same crime of conspiracy or a version of aiding/abetting a conspiracy. (I’m risking a double negative, I know). Without Erickson, Butina’s conspiracy doesn’t get off the ground…oh wait…she would’ve just found some other balding, bulging 40 to 50 something conservative, gun loving, white American male to shack up with. If Erickson isn’t arrested soon, it’s because he has reached a plea agreement with US prosecutors. Butina is not likely to cooperate, but if she feels her government has abandoned her, she will not want to waste her prime years in jail. She’s also smart enough to know (and she has counsel) that if she makes a plea before Erickson does, then she can get a better deal.

Butina shacked up with Erickson as part of her spy plan. The level of evidence obtained by the FBI tells us they have a detailed assessment of their relationship. From her perspective it is one of convenience,

Butina, age 29, and US Person One, age 56, are believed to have cohabitated and been involved in a personal relationship during the course of Butina’s activities in the United States. But this relationship does not represent a strong tie to United States because Butina appears to treated as simply a necessary aspect of her activities. For example, on at least one occasion Butina offered an individual other than [Erickson] sex in exchange for a position with a special interest organization. Further, in paper seized by the FBI, Butina complained about living with [Erickson] and expressed disdain for continuing to cohabitate with [Erickson].

Third, Alexander Torshin viewed her as a spy and celebrated her accomplishments in America, referring to her as Anna Chapman, a SVR agent who was arrested in 2010 as part of a spy ring. She also has ties to Russian oligarchy, as the FBI has linked her to someone (a male) on the Forbes billionaire list worth $1.2 billion. Per the current list, that could be: Sergei Kolesnikov, Ziyavudin Magomedov, Andrei Molchanov, Boris Rotenberg, Igor Rybakov, Airat Shaimiev, Radik Shaimiev, Mikhail Shlekov, Leonid Simanovsky, Vadim Yakunin, or Gleb Fetisov.

Butina is clearly SVR. Also, as Rachel Maddow alluded the other day, this idea that there is a Russian gun rights org is utter nonsense. It’s a dictatorship. Only the gov’t has guns. This whole gun rights thing was a SVR designed intel operation to fool stupid Republicans into thinking that Russia was their friend.

What this also means is that the GOP is up to its neck in foreign infiltration by the highest levels of Russian intelligence. This is a scandal that will only grow. I hope that we can push our media to be up to the challenge of reporting it.

19 Likes

I’ll quote myself from a few months back:
Public Service Announcement! Fifty somethings, quit attempting to bang twenty somethings. It never, ever works out well. Ever.

1 Like

If she cooperates, she has to trust that the feds can protect her while in jail, that the WPP is airtight, and she can never return to russia or speak to anyone she knows. This also assumes no relatives back home.

She had already terminated her lease, transferred $3500 to a russian bank, and showed all signs of returning to russia. I don’t think she was concerned about being killed to silence her, so I expect she refuses to cooperate and hopes for a spy swap in a few years. Anna Chapman was swapped less than a year after her arrest.

Also, does she have anything to offer the FBI?

1 Like

I think Butina’s situation is more serious than Chapman’s. Butina successfully formed a backchannel with the GOP leadership. She’s going to stay in prison for a while and not be swapped out as easily.

5 Likes

I’ve wondered if, in addition to being a lure for NRA idiots, it wasn’t something like the antiques shop from 1984. Russians wanting to “rebel” (in the State’s view) join up with this supposedly freedom-loving group and get themselves monitored or otherwise under the State’s thumb.

1 Like

Where do you get 50 years? Somewhere earlier it said if convicted of being a Russian influence peddler (whatever they called it) (10 years) and conspiracy (5 years), the max sentence would be 15 years. I like 50 better

I assume the indictment is initally light to encourage a plea deal. There are probably more charges that can be added.

Red Sparrow.

So you trust all Americans, I guess. I think it depends on who she has compromised. She was mixing with NRA, gun-toting, white nationalists, after all.

I recognize this is hardly important in the grand scheme of things, but part of me kind of loves the idea that Erickson is, in the literal if not idiomatic sense, a cuckservative.

7 Likes

Couple that with arrogance – with the current congress, they had every reason to believe nothing would happen to them if they were caught.

4 Likes

Bolton forgot to mention if average Americans weren’t so heavily armed, we’d all be speaking Canadian by now.

4 Likes

I started to laugh, and then I could actually picture Kellyanne saying these words and hear her voice, and now I’m having a sad moment. :wink:

2 Likes

“… Butina complained about living with U.S. Person 1 and expressed disdain for continuing to cohabitate with U.S. Person 1.”

Ouch, that’s gotta burn. Who knew FBI could troll via affidavit? :eyes: :laughing:

6 Likes

I’m sure they’re sensitive to his disappointment. And using it to get him to flip on his erstwhile squeeze there. The pangs of scorned love might do that to a person. :smile:

3 Likes

“Ms. Butina isn’t going anywhere for a long, long, time…”

There IS that chance, after conviction & sentencing, that she could be exchanged with the Russians in return for one of our own.

As per the NRA, it’s not violence if it’s defensive, your ground needs holding, or you feel threatened. In those circumstances, you righteously deserve it.

1 Like

Don’t feel bad. How many hours did I waste reading the book last year?

I’m really skeptical of Wayne LaPierre being that guy. While I’m certain LaPierre is a dick, there’s no proof he actually has one.

That’s not what I said.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available