Discussion: PA Gov Blasts 'Undemocratic' GOP Impeachment Bid Over Gerrymandering

1 Like

Am I missing something or didn’t SCOTUS already rule on this?

GOPissing in the wind.

22 Likes

They lost the underlying decision, but they are trying to punish the PA Supreme Court for doing the right thing. Being the white supremacist asshole party we are lucky Republicans haven’t sent out the boys in gray to arrest them damn Judges.

28 Likes

The map has typically given Republicans 13 out of 18 congressional seats, even as they have won around 50 percent of the statewide vote.

There’s nothing partisan about wanting the composition of the legislature to reflect election vote counts. That’s all that needs to be said to realize which side in this debate is being partisan.

20 Likes

SCOTUS just said that it’s not their place to adjudicate a state constitution issue. Impeachment by the state senate is also an internal state issue, so it’s not technically addressed by they SCOTUS either. We can read between the lines and see it’s just the GOP throwing a tantrum, but the SCOTUS didn’t directly rule on this issue.

16 Likes

Well, I’ll give them this, impeachment DOES need to be considered.

13 Likes

Removing justices would require a two-thirds vote in the state Senate, where Republicans control 34 of the 50 seats.

2/3 of 50 == 33. I.e., the GOP can do it.

4 Likes

“Removing justices would require a two-thirds vote in the state Senate, where Republicans control 34 of the 50 seats.” That’s exactly 2/3. Terrifying as it seems, they could in fact do this.

13 Likes

Ok, so if they do mange to pull off this political travesty, how are replacement judges installed? Appointment? By the Dem Governor? The GOP Senate? Elections?

@socalista

8 Likes

But they all would have to vote as a bloc. And the most vulnerable ones can be promised a concentrated, furious attack with everything the state Dems have when they’re next up for re-election. Give them something to think about. That’s just off the top of my head.

19 Likes

They are elected by the people to ten-year terms.

9 Likes

So a special election? Could the impeached judges run again?

4 Likes

Put me in the GOP-are-fascists camp.

This kind of thing–see also the ongoing move in GA to cut voting hours in Atlanta from 8 to 7 pm–confirms my opinion that everything must be done to bring this party to its knees. Including gerrymanders of our own so long as the Supreme Court authorizes it. It’s a zero-sum game, at this point. Republicans will continue to play by different rules than Democrats until they are forced not to, either by the law or calculations of self-interest.

28 Likes

Pennsylvania – The Texas of the East.

4 Likes

The GOP acts as a party of totalitarianism, pure and simple.

18 Likes

Republicans: The Reason We Cannot Have Democracy.

18 Likes

They couldn’t win, so they try to cheat some more. They have no spines, they have no morals, they have nothing to offer.

16 Likes

I think this is less about the fact that they can be replaced and more about the idea that judges must toe the GOP line – or else. IOW, this is an overt threat to hijack democracy and replacing these judges with other qualified judges is not really a remedy for that.

19 Likes

I’d hope that the mere effort to do this will be met with a furious response.

12 Likes

Sure, generally. But you let vulnerable reps know we’ll give them some extra love and it might strike home.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available