Discussion: PA Gov Blasts 'Undemocratic' GOP Impeachment Bid Over Gerrymandering

Me thinks the current GOP really doesn’t get it. The taxpayers can only be roiled but so much. Tom Corbett was sent out the door because he chose to gut social service programs and education. He was not protected by gerrymandering.

The second time around may not be any prettier. :wink:

2 Likes

Trying to impeach the judges for trying to create a fair map would mean that the legislators are failing to uphold their oath (follow rulings of the courts).

It is the legislators that might be __ fired __ not the judges.

Just in case what I wrote was confusing.

It puts the Democrats in a difficult position in the following sense.

We want the party to set an example of honest, decent, normal governance - but Republicans are counting on the Democrats to play by the rules, while they break them all. That’s what gives them their maximum advantage, and the the notion that they need an example of good governance to follow, etc. is ridiculous.

They only care about power and partisan advantage. Noting else matters.

Since Democratic values and policies are actually what the majority of Americans support, simply enforcing a level playing field and a fair game means the Democrats win.

But the Democrats are being forced to fight fire with fire. We cannot get to the situation where fair play triumphs until Republican power is destroyed. So first we must fight the war to win. We do not need to sink their abysmal level, but we do need to take the fight to them and cut the Republicans out of power where ever possible.We need to think clearly about the next rules the Republicans are going to break, and beat them to the punch.

Remember - the Very Serious People, the MSM, the Punditocracy, the Inside the Beltway crowd are going to say “both sides do it” anyway. We don’t get brownie points for being honest losers.

Sure we do. But they are, like, brownie points.

Maths is hard.

HOPEFULLY I do not need to add this (because you already know it) BUT I feel better saying it anyway.

Impeaching the judges __ WHEN THEY DID NOT VIOLATE __ THEIR __ OATHS OF OFFICE IS WRONG __ AND THE LEGISLATORS WHO VOTE TO IMPEACH SHOULD BE FIRED.

WHILE everything you said in point 1 is TRUE __ I THINK THIS WORK AROUND WILL BE OK UNTIL THE NEXT ELECTION.

1. THE Group of people who wish to be REPRESENTATIVES meet at a school / church / theater.

2. They draw cards from a 52 deck pack of cards.

3. If you need to do a second draw THEN DO IT.

NOW YOU HAVE ONE PERSON IN THE OFFICE FOR 2 YEARS __ OR __ UNTIL A SPECIAL ELECTION CAN BE HELD.

Read your (I am assuming that you are a PA resident) state’s Constitution. That is where the rules for this sort of thing are laid out. We don’t play ad hoc games – like draw a name from a hat among the interested citizens.

If the Pennsylvania Commonwealth’s Constitution allowed for recall (it does not), then that would be your opportunity to fire the idiots behind the bill of impeachment. Because it does not your next opportunity to fire them comes when he (I believe this pack are all males) stands for reelection.

That’s it. And to be completely honest, I find your proposal more abhorrent than the move to impeach the judges. Your proposal is a big step down the road to anarchy. (By the way, just in case it is unclear, the move to impeach these judges is itself abhorrent to me.)

If you don’t like the options presented to you, then organize. Run for office – get people to back you, and change the constitution. If you can get enough people to back you, then you can implement any cockamamie idea that doesn’t violate the supremacy clause of the US Constitution. (For the record, I don’t think your particular cockamamie idea violates the supremacy clause, so go for it.)

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available