Discussion: Six Flags Park In Texas Replaces 5 Flags With Stars And Stripes

:joy:

It was really your basic whirling teacups from 1957 Disneyland. (only time I was ever at Disneyland. It looked nothing like it apparently does now - I don’t think one of the rides I rode in 1957 are still there.)

1 Like

Depends on who you talk to!

In Texas, we had to learn Texas history before American history. It was an amazing 'whitewash" of the truth long before we understood what indoctrination truly was.

3 Likes

Yes, with constant music playback of Mariachi music. I love a good Mariachi group, but this was truly annoying!

1 Like

hahahahahahahahaha Yeah.

I really wouldn’t consider the genuine Stars and Bars offensive. The problem with the modern “Confederate”
flag is that it’s a symbol of racism, Jim Crow, oppression, lynching, and a lot of other reprehensible things, and in the modern era. The Stars and Bars seems legitimately historical. Of course the “Confederate” section of Six Flags is objectionable in a different way, because it’s necessarily a whitewash of a nasty and vicious society.

(The “Stars and Bars” is often used to refer to the post-war “Confederate” flag, which is wrong. The Stars and Bars was rather similar to the US flag, so much so that there were problems with confusing them on the battlefield. What’s called the “Confederate” flag is a bastardized mashup of the Army of Northern Virginia’s battle flag, which was square, and one of the Confederate navy jacks, which had a much lighter blue. It probably was never flown in the actual Confederacy, which just emphasizes it’s not a flag of “heritage” but of post-war evils.)

Because people are idiots who go for pithy phrases and popular symbols.

2 Likes

I thought the American, Mexico, Spain, France and Texas flags would have been OK.

2 Likes

I"m guessing, but I guess they decided to just make it easier - wipe the whole slate clean.

I agree with you and I couldn’t really figure it out for a minute, but I decided that’s why. Instead of getting into an historical argument they just decided to say it with the American flag.

2 Likes

And also, the whole of the “history and tradition” these particular idiots purport to be representing is filtered through a durp singularity powered reality distortion field.

5 Likes

The closest was the Battle Flag of the Army of Tennessee, which was based on the Northern Virginia banner, but rectangular, with no white edging on the blue St. Andrew’s Cross.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it is so hard for many to make the distinction.

And, as a matter of our so called 'Southern Gentility", anything that glamorizes the old South, which means owning slaves and yet, 'being a kind to them (ugh), etc., is just wrong.

I will never forget as a young boy of seven being confronted with water fountains that said 'White" and “Colored” and not knowing what to do. My very Northern mother steered me to the ‘white’ fountain with the admonition that it was OK because she was unsure of 'how someone would react." I will never forget that moment. I keep that picture in my head.

We must always confront those who wish us to be less than we know we are. None of us are here by ordination. We are all offspring of immigrants, and this is what makes us strong, proud and, most importantly, the truest symbol of freedom on earth.

Enough is enough. Ya Basta!

3 Likes

Indeedy.

1 Like

3 Likes

Ah, yes. I think we did that already. Oh, by the way, The Union won!

If only you could take your ADD meds and read a book.

(Wishful thinking, I know, but for one brief shining moment, I would like to think he could - I’m not a fool - Just looking for hope!)

4 Likes

This is the ONE time IMO that the confederate could have been flown … the official name of the park is “Six Flags Over Texas” … and yes, that flag was flying over Texas for a bit. Now, before you jump in in all caps -LOL- it doesn’t matter to me what they did…I’m more disturbed about the “monument” distraction from White Supremacists, ICE being thugs, etc.

A group of protesters gathered, ostensibly to protest the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue

That was a serious omission.

France had a colony at Matagorda Bay in the 1680s and also settlements in East Texas pushing over from the Mississppi. Its why spain put missions in east texas but then consolidated to San Antonio in 1700s when France wasnt as large a threat for permanent settlement and expansion from louisiana.

2 Likes

The flag people are referring to as the confederate flag was actually the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia, which was later put on the CSA flag calked the bloodstained flag as the war went on. The “CSA” flag stars and bars with circle of stars on blue was official national flag. Thats why the Klan took over the virginia flag, as it was a fighting symbol. I guess the while bloodstained flag mixed with their sheets too much.

As of last year, and possibly before, the Six Flags outside of DC flew the Maryland flag where the Confederate flag used to be.

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better. As a 7th grader (when Texas history is taught), I must have been my teacher’s least-favorite student. I put her on the spot when I asked why no one was ever convicted of murder for the Nueces Massacre. She pretended like she’d never heard of it.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available