Discussion: At Republican Conference, Trump Slams Clinton For Recent Statement On Women

It seems unwise. As you said, she has a lot of other things to offer.

2 Likes

Evangelicals voted for Trump in large numbers. One of the tenets of the Evangelical faith is that the wives are to obey their husbands. Clinton’s hypothesis that this may well have affected the votes of the Evangelical women has merit even though it was politically unwise to say so publicly.

One of Clinton’s worst flaws as a politician is her tendency to tell the truth. See her remarks about ethanol in the Iowa primary against Obama or her recognition that manufacturing jobs were not coming back so other ways to help those displaced would have to be found.

11 Likes

Hilary also told the coal miners the hard truth that the coal industry is dying and that they will have to do something else. Trump, on the other hand, lied and pandered to them saying that he will revive coal. The long term decline of coal continues.

11 Likes

Democrats are winning the women voters, which is why Trump wants to highlight Hillary’s statement. There are better ways to say this, and let’s discuss what women are doing this year. I agree that Hillary needs to stop talking about 2016.

1 Like

For starters they both reaped what they richly deserved.

3 Likes

The ran for the exits, not because it wasn’t true, but because it was a stupid political gaff. Belittling your opponent’s voters–though they may deserve it–is politically stupid for a Democratic candidate to do. It gives Republicans big juicy talking points, fires up their base, and serves to show our candidate in a bad light. As always, it’s OKIYAR. We can scream about fairness of that, but that’s the way things work. Speaking truth to power is a great catch phrase, but if we want to gain and hold power, doing it is often politically damaging. The long game is more important that damaging the party for twitter level statements. We can’t afford to make those political gaffs anymore.

I adore Obama and believe Hillary would have been a good president. They made a cringe worth statements during their campaigns though. True or not, it damaged them both.

4 Likes

If I was married to some overbearing a-hole who thought he could bully me into voting as he demanded, the ultimate FU in that scenario is voting for who I want, and having him be none the wiser.

YOU are not the women who called Clinton a variety of obscenities usually reserved for men. YOU are not the 53% of White American women who openly admitted voting for Rump because e-mails, Bill, Monica, Whitewater, Benghazi, etc. She needs to continue to say these things out loud because in identifying issues are proving to be hurdles for Dems, we can at least address how to either get around them or give up on them and go towards something else.

ETA: Dems are always going to be held to a different standard then Rethugs. That’s a given. If Dems don’t offer up truth then all manner of groups (most especially the media) are going to slam us for it. Case in point: Sanders made a variety of statement on the campaign trail that weren’t policy solutions; they were feel good platitudes. Didn’t get him far.

7 Likes

I’d have to say Republicans are closer to being “Summer soldiers and sunshine patriots” than “true” patriots

3 Likes

Thanks for the pointer to the Guardian article. My anecdote on the issue is hearing my neighbor worrying about voting for Obama in 2012 because her husband was voting for Romney. So I wonder to what extent spouses voted in tandem to preserve household peace.

I was fortunate to grow up in a house where my parents could disagree, and even argue, politically without compromising a loving foundation.

3 Likes

Nice catches from The Guardian. You are correct that she speaks hard truths. The only problem with hard truths, though, is that they make excellent soundbites. “Women caved” might ultimately be true, but that truth requires an explanation. That explanation exceeds the attention span of anyone who watches Fox State News. They hear the soundbite. It fits their preconceived ideas. They move on to the next soundbite. Donald T rump is good at soundbites, too. As Cambridge Analytica tells their clients, soundbites don’t have to be true. They only have to be believed. Fox State News…Fox State News viewers…short attention spans…recipe for effective propaganda.

5 Likes

Does anyone remember the heat Hillary took for proclaiming that she’s not some hillbilly standing by her man?

5 Likes

Besides, blaming women for “caving” is not exactly “speaking truth to power.”

If the women she’s thinking of had power, why would they “cave”?

This fuckin’ yabo. He hates smart women; he hates “uppity” blacks; he hates “furriners”; everybody’s against him.

He’s the perfect Republican “Christian.”

3 Likes

True, true. Still, i couldn’t help but feel sorry for them though. That was when I really woke up to how badly Fox and these conspiracy theorists were destroying not only the lives of innocent people but also the lives of the idiots who support them.

4 Likes

If only his Scottish immigrant mother Mary had stopped in to see him sometimes and hugged him instead of shaking hands with him but instead tyrannical Fred bossed him around and made him the sexist bigot he is. He coulda been a mensch, instead of a pig which is what he is.

10 Likes

Passing out at an event honoring thousands of Americans killed on 9/11 gives Republicans big, juicy talking points. Being a Democrat gives Republicans big, juicy talking points. Being a woman gives them big, juicy taking points. But this is just silly. Her opponent was literally calling Latinos murderers and rapists, telling black people we live in hopeless violence and squalor, calling liberals every disparaging, denigrating term one could imagine. The man mused about his supporters killing her and actively encouraged his supporters to beat hers. She rightly pointed out that SOME of his supporters are deplorable. Considering they were all but holding freaking Klan rallies at his events, I think it was wholly appropriate for her to call out the terrorism we saw coming from his camp. The fact that liberals are even entertaining this both sideserism ridiculousness, that we’re playing into the IOKIYAR meme, is a far bigger problem than anything she said. The media isn’t going to back down from holding us to a different standard if we’re the ones leading the charge. Republicans get away with this shit precisely because they don’t apologize for it and they don’t cower away in shame. They lean into it and proudly own it.

14 Likes

Not good! Not good!
I’m good!

A year and a half go by and The Dotard’s record player is still stuck.

2 Likes

Gazelles that don’t heed signs a predator is stalking them get eaten.

1 Like

Well I am not sure that the Dems are winning the white women vote. This seems to be the crux of this conversation.

2 Likes

Is this what she is talkng about?

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available