Discussion: AZ GOP Senate Hopeful At Gun Control Forum Talks About Shooting His Mother

Incumbent Dalessandro won reelection in 2016 by 18 percentage points, so I’m hoping the non-zero probability isn’t too substantial.

I grew up in Arizona, and my parents are still there, helping to elect the crazies, so I won’t argue. Here’s a piece on some legislation that passed the state senate in early 2017. Fortunately, the House actually had enough sense to let it drop without consideration. The GOP senate believed that the danger posed by something that doesn’t exist (people who are paid to plan and participate in violent protests) justified punitive measures prohibited by something that does exist (the First Amendment) :

Claiming people are being paid to riot, Republican state senators voted Wednesday to give police new power to arrest anyone who is involved in a peaceful demonstration that may turn bad — even before anything actually happened.

SB1142 expands the state’s racketeering laws, now aimed at organized crime, to also include rioting. And it redefines what constitutes rioting to include actions that result in damage to the property of others.

But the real heart of the legislation is what Democrats say is the guilt by association — and giving the government the right to criminally prosecute and seize the assets of everyone who planned a protest and everyone who participated. And what’s worse, said Sen. Steve Farley, D-Tucson, is that the person who may have broken a window, triggering the claim there was a riot, might actually not be a member of the group but someone from the other side.

Wouldn’t Trumpp love to have that power at the Federal level.

As horrified as I was at the abuse of power the bill represented, and the boneheaded false beliefs used to justify it, I had to laugh when I read this:

Sen. Sylvia Allen, R-Snowflake, said the new criminal laws are necessary.

3 Likes

Sate you trying to access comments directly from the article? I can’t do that.

My work around is to go to Hive and pick either latest for poster initiated discussions or TPM articles. This gets you directly to the discussions but you can toggle back to the article from the top.

Now a sane person would say that two deaths and his incarceration could have been avoided if his mother wasn’t armed.

3 Likes

Bobby Wilson is a proud Republican and Republican voters are proud of Bobby Wilson. He represents everything that is notable about the Republican party and will make an outstanding Republican candidate.

Oh! :joy:

No. :cry:

Damn! :rage:

I had a moment there. :sob:

2 Likes

I am getting depressed today. In my little burg, driving down main street, all I see are signs pimping for Conservative Republicans, Extremely Conservative Republicans, and Severely Conservative Republicans.
And I am law-abiding, and therefore can’t add little tags that say “Convicted Criminal” to Joe Arapaho’s stuff. (Or “Crazy Loon” to Chemtrails Kelli’s banners.)

Works for Donnycakes.

1 Like

You know how you tell a Good Guy With A Gun?

You don’t tell them, they tell you.

Totally agree on that point.

1 Like

Must be. Here in Central Texas it’s currently 104 with 78% humidity. And as everybody knows, we have no crazies here in Texas!

1 Like

I can’t think of a more apt metaphor for the current state of the GOP: a matricidal arsonist with amnesia.

2 Likes

How about a narcissistic pathological fabulist?

1 Like

SHHHHH!! I won’t tell…

1 Like

Entirely to the point as well.

But it’s a dry crazy.

1 Like

The only thing to stop a bad mom with a gun, is an amnesiac son with a gun.

She wouldn’t have been able to use a gun in that situation anyway. Plus, what if he had had one?

1 Like

I paid for prime and use an adblocker too. Sorry Josh.

The very latest article often doesn’t have comments for awhile. But the other problem, the 504 bad gateway one, has been really bad at times lately but those seem to come in spats. Could be they are working on something on the backend - seems like this has happened before shortly before the comment section was upgraded. But usually is when there is a flood of comments coming in for some reason.

1 Like

They are crazy even when they’ve had no alcohol.

Was referring to the lack of humidity, but yeah.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available