Discussion: Doug Jones: 'I Think We Need To Move On' From Trump Misconduct Allegations

Then I think you had better be prepared to “move on” from that Senate seat, Joe Lieberman, Jr., since if you keep acting like this any Democratic support you have is going to vaporize, and I don’t think even the GOP is going to be stupid enough to run another racist child molester against you in 2020.
Have fun trying to recapture the black women vote after you start talking and acting like Richard Shelby, Dougie.

7 Likes

Except he’s not going to win in 2020. No chance. Perhaps not even if Moore runs again. He may as well vote as a progressive or at least act like a decent human being. I’m very disappointed in Jones on this issue.

Should we have moved on from the young girls that we’re horrifically killed in 1963, but the perpetrators weren’t found guilty until 2001/2002? A crime is a crime and those women deserve justice. An election win does not mean the allegations were adjudicated.

5 Likes

Appointing morons to the federal bench with jurisdiction over Alabama.
Doing nothing on opioids.
Not building that wall.

1 Like

And I may send all of my future donations to the United Unicorn College Fund instead of to you, Dougie.

2 Likes

And if Alabama chose Roy Moore you’ d be cool with that too.

2 Likes

Trump famously bragged that he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Ave and not lose a single vote. Such a raging asshole would never consider resigning; not even if there was video of him having sex with a 14-year old girl, against her will. Trump lives for the chance to tell the world to go fuck itself. He gets off on the idea that he’s untouchable because he’s rich. Trash like him doesn’t have the capacity for honor, self-reflection or empathy. Jones should remain silent about this, but as noted, he may be trying to appease the rabid right-wing miscreants that populate AL.

12 Likes

Whether you like it or not or agree with it or not, Jones has a valid point in there. Barring anything new, like allegations or tapes or whatnot, all of these women came forward and told their stories before the election.

Trump won anyway.

While they SHOULD have made it one, it clearly wasn’t a deal-breaker to his voters.

7 Likes

Trumptheory not withstanding, he represents an entire, rather backward conservative state, not just the people who put him in office.

Hence, Alabama isn’t going to elect a decent person under any circumstances.

1 Like

We all know Trump–there will be more women.

4 Likes

If you want to be a big tent party… welcome to big tent politics.

Doug Jones is pro-choice and supports reasonable economic theories. He’s also a Democratic Senator from Alabama. This is a good thing, on multiple levels:

1. Cognitive dissonance. Republicans horrified at what they’ve done are currently buried deeply (although not as deeply as you’d think… https://goo.gl/mBrkQY) in denial. Jones gives them an opening. Is that highly cynical? Yes. Is that a realistic expectation based on human psychology? Yes. We’re animals. You have to take into account our built-in defects.

2. It normalizes Democrats. Dems are currently being portrayed as a parody in most GOP minds. This is part of what allows Trump to be Trump - GOP voters have a cartoonish image of latte-swilling nonsense in their heads. Doug Jones getting on TV and saying these things does more than any ad could ever do to reclaim something critical - the appearance of being the moderate, reasonable party in the South. Obviously the Dems already were the more reasonable party (by a country mile) but that can be difficult to pick up on when surrounded by a conservative culture. In those situations, an olive branch can work wonders.

This is what winning looks like - a variety of views, including some that eat away at the edges of your opponent’s support. Purity is defeat. Flexibility and the emphasize on common ground is victory. It’s as simple as that.

47 Likes

That would be a purely political calculation. I think it is more likely that some of his social, economic and political views do in fact align more with Republican rather than Democratic ideology. That should not alarm anybody other than those who, in your own terms, subscribe to the perfect pony nonsense. In the not too distant past, when the Senate was a functional deliberative body, the Rockefeller Republicans and center-left Democrats could find shared, or at least compatible, views that led to a workable solution. Ds sometimes voted with Rs, and Rs sometimes voted with Ds. In today’s world of hyper polarization that is heresy and political suicide.

8 Likes

What did he say that put a burr under your saddle? I mean, what issue, what vote in particular has he threatened to make that invalidates his open statement that he represents members of both parties?

Honestly, no matter what, he’s not going to be Roy Moore. So what if he occasionally votes with his Alabama constituents in mind instead of New Jersey’s. Stating that 10% is the same as 100% is nuts.

Also, guess what - the Democratic party isn’t always right. (Just most of the time.)

14 Likes

He may not ever resign because of his sex scandals, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t rub his nose in it at every opportunity.

7 Likes

First of all, election is not an adjudication of the underlying issues.

Secondly, Trump strenuously denied all the allegations. He flatly stayed he was going to sue all the women involved which he hasn’t done and will never do. Perhaps many voters believed his false denials and voted for him on that basis. Certainly he gave them plausibility. As such, his “win” was tainted. He did not tell the truth. Surely that should mean something?

7 Likes

Doug Jones doesn’t need to be the one to do that. Doug Jones needs to show moderate Republicans a path to becoming moderate Democrats in a world of borderline self-parodying political nonsense.

22 Likes

Ninieo is exactly right.

You can’t say you’re a big-tent party and then demand lockstep conformity before they get to come in.

14 Likes

It’s adjudication of the issue in the court of public opinion.

Which is pretty much all that matters on election day.

3 Likes

You better hide out for a while Doug. You’re new to Washington.

There’s a Purge underway. They’ll be coming for you soon.

There are plenty of opportunities for some Dems – like Manchin and Jones – to attack Donnie from the right. We’re never going to win over the MAGAnauts, but there are plenty of people in red/reddish-purple states witnessing their neighbors laid low by opioids or driving on crumbling roads while Trump does nothing.

They’re also not fond of the tax monstrosity, which can’t get so much as lip service from any Dem.

@yskov Oddly enough, Trump has a Burr under his saddle.

8 Likes

I’m going to let Doug Jones figure this out. The guy won Alabama.

Much more worrying, if we’re looking to put heat on our own people, is this, which makes my head want to explode:

Never mind the wrongness and injustice of this stance: could he be any more politically tone deaf and stupid?

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available