Discussion: Doug Jones: 'I Think We Need To Move On' From Trump Misconduct Allegations

I doubt African American women would have turned out in droves if he’d said this prior to the election. The “reality” is, he was elected by Democrats who hate Trump, not the Trumpers he’s inexplicably trying to coddle now.

6 Likes

My fellow purple P friend…why did McConnell commit to an Ethics Committee investigation of Moore, should he have won the election? The voters had decided, right? No business of McConnell’s at that point, would you say?

2 Likes

I think everyone can see what the political realities of the moment are—Democratic demands for resignation will not result in a resignation, and it’s an expenditure of political capital that could be counterproductive. But I wish he had talked about the realities as such and then talked about the abuse and assaults in a more forceful way. Like for instance that in fact more people voted for Hillary, OK? Or his ongoing attacks on women in particular? Or the fact that for tens of millions the assaults remain an extremely important and delegitimizing aspect of this current occupant’s history. It’s just not a time right now for being mealy-mouthed when it comes to what we’re dealing with. If it weren’t for concern about sexual misconduct, he wouldn’t be there.

20 Likes

Oof, that’s not good.

1 Like

And you want to let him off the hook? Hit Trump with his sex scandals whenever; they should never die just because the idiot American people, helped along by Russia, elected the worst possible person to be president.

4 Likes

McConnell committed to nothing, as I don’t believe for a moment that he would have actually convened one had Moore won.

And we’ll never know.

4 Likes

And Mitch’s word is his bond, of course. Just like the Oath of Office he swore.

8 Likes

This^^^^^^^-over and over and over again until it sinks into the narrow minds of the far left.

21 Likes

Thank FSM.

1 Like

Because it was the mealy-mouthed necessity of the moment.

Had Moore won, he would have been seated, there would have been no ethics investigation, and Moore would have served until he died.

11 Likes

As we are pulled further to the Right and a further partner in their Evil.

except that he doesn’t care - it would be like rubbing a puppy’s nose in a porkchop

4 Likes

Just like being so appalled that they pull Moore’s RNC support…

…until it looks like he might win anyway.

3 Likes

Uh, no.

7 Likes

How so? How?

We can’t bring charges against Trump. We have no proof that rises to the legal requirements to indict him (yet).

Big picture - Trump is losing. Why not let the entire rest of the party handle tearing down Trump, and let Doug Jones worry about moderating fucking Alabama? (which sounds insane when I type it but is an actual possibility!)

13 Likes

A Democratic majority would not pass a tax bill so full of loopholes and exemptions it serves as a vehicle to undermine the IRS, Medicare, and Social Security.
A Democratic majority would not sit on its hands as DACA and CHIP expire.
A Democratic majority would not play footsie with a creep like Moore–mainly because a creep like Moore would never win a Democratic primary.

10 Likes

It depends on which issues he votes with the Republicans on. If he’s the vote that allows republicans to decimate even more of the social safety net, then he might as well be a republican. If he votes with the repubs on naming post offices, that’s A-OK.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say “narrow-minded”… I think the word I’d use is emotional. Well-intentioned, understandable emotion - but emotion without reason, which is all evil requires.

Doug Jones is giving a little ground in order to gain a lot more tomorrow. Smart commanders do that - emotional commanders charge in, fight the good fight… and lose. Strategy isn’t evil. Not funding CHIP is evil. That’s what the far-left needs to get their heads around.

11 Likes

If I understand and extrapolate the argument correctly, then, no politician should step down regardless of the veracity of the allegations. They should simply await the next election for the voters to decide. I can’t say I agree with that.

4 Likes

“Purity.” The word is relatively new to American politics. I often wonder about how it is being used.

Eschewing “purity,” could you (or others) re-write the quoted passage using some other combination of words? “Principles” comes to mind but if that’s infelicitous then, really, any re-write will do for a start.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available