Discussion: Jefferson Davis Monument In Arizona Tarred and Feathered

Tar and feathers. Old school. I like it.

2 Likes

Hard to believe I know, but racists, bigots and fascists are not the entire population of the south.

4 Likes

ANYONE who says the South should be allowed to secede, or that all Southerners are racist bigots, or that there should be an all-white enclave to keep racist out of the US is either intellectually lazy, intellectually vacant, or a bigot with a huge chip on his/her shoulder.

Such talk is simplistic bullshit, ahistorical, and just plain ignorant.

2 Likes

They must be the majority, as their laws and politics reflect a level of homophobia, xenophobia, anti-intellectualism and racism disproportionate to the U.S. population at large. Southerners are electing people implementing policies and laws that a helluva lot of Southerners want to say, ā€œHey, weā€™re not all the people you describe!! Cut us some slack!ā€ Evidently sane, compassionate, non-racist Southerners are the minority, or else the South wouldnā€™t be, well, the South.

2 Likes

because sheriff Joe Arpaio

Law enforcement officials are presently on the look out for a flock of progressive chickens with connections to a blacktop contractor

Can we just let them go the next time?

Volunteer soldiers from AZ served in the Confederate Army.

That would be a big wallā€¦ and ee cpuld make the countrt, ā€œRedneckistanā€ pay for it.

Chickens is right.

Damn, Arnold does good anti-Nazi statements.

1 Like

Thatā€™s very interesting to me as a general question.

ā€œVandalismā€ has a statutory definition of course, but at what point does ā€œwantonā€ destruction become principled?

I would have dressed it up in pink underwear with a sheriff hat on its head.

1 Like

Clearly correct. That wouldnā€™t justify a lack of concern or empathy for those who are in the minority. I live in south central PA and itā€™s bad enough here without having to imagine what Alabama is like.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I tried to raise this issue in the Hope Hicks thread and was somewhat disappointed that after suggesting that we should avoid ā€œtribalā€ reactions, was told by one respondent that we are tribal. Nope, Iā€™m not.

I absolutely condemn those who marched under the Nazis flag for marching, but when I see calls to ā€œstring them upā€ and other expressions of hate, I see a mirror reflecting poorly on those who would adopt the same tools and techniques as those they would condemn.

I donā€™t think Iā€™m hypocritical when I welcome the firings, if done with sadness (I believe that ā€œsorry, we canā€™t have such behaviors associated with usā€ is appropriate), and I welcome the return of public condemnation of other such inappropriate public behavior, but this isnā€™t about one team beating another. As a nation I like to think that weā€™re better than thatā€¦

1 Like

I see what you did thereā€¦ :sunglasses:

1 Like

Even if this is true, and not a side effect of generations of gerrymandering, intimidation and neglect, you might want to consider extending some sympathy for the minority who arenā€™t members of that odious tribe you condemn so loudly. After all, if there is a path forward, weā€™ll need such people on our side.

2 Likes

Except that during the Civil War, inhabitants of the territory supported the bad guys. Arizona comes by its racism naturally.

They are of no use. Their states cast their electoral vote for Republican Presidential candidates, despite their individual votes. They elect Republican Governors most of the time. They send GOP Senators and Representatives to Congress. Until these theoretical ā€œgoodā€ Southerners outnumber the idiots they live with they are not in a position to positively affect Congress or the White House. Their votes are throwaways.

Well, hopefully Iā€™m of some use, here in Oklahoma. If nothing else, Iā€™d think that if not for folks like us, (believe it or not) things could be worse!

I still helped HRCā€™s total votes exceed tRumpā€™s, most of my political giving goes for out-of-state races & causes (many successful), and Iā€™ve got a few ā€œplansā€ up my sleeve Iā€™m working on that might be of interest some dayā€¦

Itā€™s plenty disheartening a lot of the time and I certainly feel your frustration, but you donā€™t have to (and shouldnā€™t) write us off quite so harshly.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available