Discussion: Jefferson Davis Monument In Arizona Tarred and Feathered

How about Kelli Ward next?

Yeah, I lol’d.

Many do not realize the history of Arizona; a significant portion of it contained many Confederate sympathizers as the territory in the south had many families that emigrated from southern states. As in Missouri, many were actual agents of the nascent Confederate government. On March 16, 1861, they met at Mesilla and voted to secede from the Union, establishing themselves as Arizona Territory.

Those pioneer families were the roots of many of today’s residents, and their confederate views and attitudes towards slaves and later minorities in general were handed down to the redneck assholes that reside there today.

7 Likes

As it should be

Yes, the DOTC was one of the two great racist thought control organizations in the south. The KKK was the armed wing, the DOTC was the public face and quasi-official enforcer of their “right thinking”. The DOTC ensured that Lost Cause orthodoxy was the only thing taut in schools from first grade (no kindergartens in the south then) through the university level, professors in southern universities faced dismissal if they did not fall in line. The DOTC reviewed all text books, and funded the statues and other memorials to the proponents and defenders of slavery.

7 Likes

For the same reason that we have US military bases named after confederate commanders. The most ridiculous part is that some of the traitor generals like Braxton Bragg and John Bell Hood, were actually pretty inept, there is also a Fort McClellan for an inept union general that did all he could to sabotage the Union effort. In the meantime General George Henry Thomas, who kicked every rebel ass that dared to confront him, gets no statues, or military installations named after him. Why? Because he was a Virginian that refused to commit treason for the preservation of slavery.

11 Likes

One pillow will do.

Obviously you have never seen a feather pillow burst in a pillow fight.

Didn’t you see Animal House?

1 Like

There is a Facebook page dedicated to putting up a statue of Gen. Sherman in Atlanta.

7 Likes

Would it be inappropriate (i.e. sexist or misogynistic) to say the daughters of the confederacy can “suck it”…?

Just asking for a friend…

1 Like

Was not looking at the Pillows…

2 Likes

This is exactly what I am not saying when I pour out my anger at racists, bigots, fascists and the symbols they put up to intimidate others.

I will not paint any group of people based on the actions and attitudes of the worst of them.

I repudiate the bigots, racists, fascists in every state of our union and call on my fellow citizens, in every state of the union, to join me in rejecting and marginalizing those people.

4 Likes

“Those people” elect legislatures that ban transgenders from restrooms in North Carolina. They elect people that shut down women’s health centers all across Texas. They elect Governors that refuse medicaid money for health care for the poor, disabled and children.
“Those people”, through their exercise of the vote, demonstrate themselves to be “the bigots, racists, fascists in every state of our union”. The Governors and legislatures are a reflection of people of the South. The North has similar examples, but in the main all the detestable personal traits you claim to infuriate and concern you are manifested in the Old South. There are still goddamned segregated high school proms in the Old South. Parents and school boards have shut down proms and privatized them, making them invitation only private parties. And blacks need not apply.
Fuck those bigots.

3 Likes

So they moved from Mississippi to Arizona: all the heat but none of the humidity?

2 Likes

Tarring and feathering the monuments to those who fought in the cause of human enslavement is the kind of civil disobedience I can get behind.

5 Likes

US highways were not numbered until 1928.
Prior to that time, they were named for various local, state, or national figures of one kind or another.
US 1 in parts of the South was called “Dixie Hwy” before that.
The Lincoln Hwy ran from Times Square to San Francisco, starting in 1912.
Several routes were called “lee Hwy” in the South.
There were lots of others, too.

2 Likes

Actually, Fort McClellen was BRACed a few years ago and the Army moved the MP and Chemical Schools to Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. The name may remain for a National Guard training area, etc, but it’s no longer considered a significant base.

Dedicated by President Grover Cleveland in 1924, the transcontinental Jefferson Davis Highway ran from Arlington, Va., to San Diego. It no longer exists in its entirety, with many of the original state highways it traversed having fallen in disuse or having been re-designated. Just this week, the San Diego City Council had the plaque marking the terminus of the Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway in downtown Horton Plaza quietly removed.

4 Likes

Ah, but it’s a dry hate.

6 Likes

I’m expecting an Arpaio pardon.

At this point, what has Trump got to lose? His disapproval numbers can’t get much lower before they hit that rock-hard 25% of people who’d still support him even if he was found in bed with the proverbial live boy AND dead girl.

And by pardoning Arpaio, he’ll finally have a “win” to show to those followers, who will give him the adulation he requires.

Good info, thanks for that, MTB! My vague recollection is also that the infamous shoot-out at the OK Corral had at least some connection to Civil War-era partisanship (Wikipedia links indicate the Earps’ pro-Union & Republican (then-still the Party of Lincoln) and the Clantons’, McLaurys’, and other Cochise County Cowboys’ general pro-Confederate (then-Democratic) leanings).

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available